john2000

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness OS Thread

22 minutes ago, superheavysun said:

Passed The Batman with a Strange. Holding ok. Will get to 900m- 950m  This is a big win for Disney

It's a win for disney alright but wouldn't call it a big win either. Think they would have expected a billion with such a big global opening

• Like 1

Wow, rip. Awful holds OS.   

Kind of embarrassing for this to finish mid 900s imo (even though it’s lot better ER adjusted in like-for-likes) but that’s what you get from poor product. Let’s hope the next two shape up 🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

It's a win for disney alright but wouldn't call it a big win either. Think they would have expected a billion with such a big global opening

A global opening without China,, the potential was way bigger? yes, but it's still great overall with divisive ratings, I don't think Disney is losing sleep over just being short of 1B.

2 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Not really. Three of their 1B grossers didn't pass the mark when you subtract China boxoffice:

CW = 973M w/o China

CM = 974M w/o China

FFH = 932M w/o China

So if DS2 finished in that range or above CW/CM but under 1B it would be perfectly in line with those performances.

Movies that passed 1B milestone w/o China: Avengers are in class of their own, NWH had a hook like no other, and BP was boosted by an insane domestic performance that outgrossed its OS total. So DS2 is right where they would expect it.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not really. Three of their 1B grossers didn't pass the mark when you subtract China boxoffice:

CW = 973M w/o China

CM = 974M w/o China

FFH = 932M w/o China

So if DS2 finished in that range or above CW/CM but under 1B it would be perfectly in line with those performances.

Movies that passed 1B milestone w/o China: Avengers are in class of their own, NWH had a hook like no other, and BP was boosted by an insane domestic performance that outgrossed its OS total. So DS2 is right where they would expect it.

All of those are above 1B WW-C adjusted to 2022

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

CW = 973M w/o China

CM = 974M w/o China

FFH = 932M w/o China

If DS2 had as many characters with longer screen time as Civil War, it would have outgrossed it even without China and Russia.

I'm not sure how Disney will feel about not making 1B but I hope Feige drags them a bit for revealing too much in the promos. It's funny how Sony ended up being more restrained with NWH marketing, which in turn led to a more satisfying theatrical experience.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

If DS2 had as many characters with longer screen time as Civil War, it would have outgrossed it even without China and Russia.

I'm not sure how Disney will feel about not making 1B but I hope Feige drags them a bit for revealing too much in the promos. It's funny how Sony ended up being more restrained with NWH marketing, which in turn led to a more satisfying theatrical experience.

I mean there is a difference in Spider-man surprises and Dr Strange surprises, in Spider-man they have a big role in Dr Strange? no really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Also, Iron Man 3

Highest grossing Marvel movies excluding China

1) Avengers: Endgame:  $2.168 Billion

2) Spider-Man No Way Home:  $1.892 Billion

3) Avengers: Infinity War:  $1.678 Billion

4) The Avengers:  $1.433 Billion

5) Black Panther:  $1.242 Billion

6) The Avengers Age Of Ultron:  $1.163 Billion

7) Iron-Man 3:  $1.094 Billion

8)Captain Marvel:  $974 million

9) Captain America Civil War:  $963 million

10) Spider-Man Far From Home:  $927 million

Since China is the second largest market in the world but at the same time it's very inconstant* I removed its gross to make some comparisons fairer, in particular I was surprised by No Way Home over Infinity War, Age of Ultron doing less than Blak Panther or Civil War not reaching the billion. At the same time Multiverse of Madness ending up with 950M doesn't look that bad anymore

*Think for example that just 15 years ago the market was basically irrelevant, or that in the past years several important movies weren't released or that now they also have to deal with sudden and unexpected lockdowns (like with The Batman)

Edited by MG10
  • Like 1