YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

just wondering with roland emmerich and michael bay bombing out what ever happened to my other favourite Dumbass Auteur Stephen Sommers? It's time for a comeback the world needs him.

With all those straight-to-DVD Scorpion King residuals, do you really need to work again?

Everything Everywhere expansion is a little underwhelming after all the hyperbole. Greatest movie of all time! Letterboxd's best movie in the universe! IMBD's top rated film in the galaxy! 

Edited by Flopped
  • ...wtf 3

40 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Getting Carrey for Robotnik was a master stroke.  Those adults that didn’t see the first one in cinemas and then caught up with it would have been overjoyed to get 90’s Jim back. They weren’t going to pass up the sequel purely based on that.  

I’m expecting this to storm past $200 million.  Nearer $250 million I think. 

And it is literally 90's Jim Carrey...his role and acting are so reminiscent of his peak...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Getting Carrey for Robotnik was a master stroke.  Those adults that didn’t see the first one in cinemas and then caught up with it would have been overjoyed to get 90’s Jim back. They weren’t going to pass up the sequel purely based on that.  

I’m expecting this to storm past $200 million.  Nearer $250 million I think. 

It really was a brilliant casting decision. In a movie with a bunch of CGI characters, the most over the top characters is played by a human actor. 

I'm wondering what type of deal he cut for both the original and for this and future sequels. 

I'd also add that Ben Schwarz really does great work in these films. It's a tough balancing act on the sarcasm and earnestness, and he captures it well. 

One of the secrets to the success of these films in my view is that at its core, you have a character that kids can relate to as one of their own, but, that you're not relying on a child actor to carry the film. 

• Like 1

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Everything Everywhere expansion is a little underwhelming after all the hyperbole. Greatest movie of all time! Letterboxd's best movie in the universe! IMBD's top rated film in the galaxy! 

It's a weird-as-fuck, R-rated A24 movie in a time when adult indie films are doing worse and worse at the box office. Also, while a "wide release," there has been a LOT of talk about how it isn't showing at theatres in small cities. It's number seems strong to me. 

(Also: I personally don't think the hype was hyperbole).

We all knew Ambulance was doomed when Film Twitter was cheerleading it so hard (after how they spent years shitting all over Bay).

Happy for Everything Everywhere All At Once. One of the rarest of rare films that exceeded it's own incredibly high expectations/hype. Not since Get Out. We saw it Friday night here in NOLA and our audience loved it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1