YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

2 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Homecoming adjusted to 2019 is 342 mil, so adding 17% inflation since + premium ticket pricing and Batman is still behind 

Where are we pulling these 17% inflation in ticket prices from? NATO hasn't published average ticket prices since 2020, not sure why we are pulling 17% numbers from thin air.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Is The Batman the most successful superhero reboot adjusted for inflation?

It might. It's about around where Man of Steel and Spiderman Homecoming would land with up to date figures around that. It's also a very narrow category though, so, a bit of an odd angle to look at it. Other than Batman, Superman and Spiderman, there hasnt been many cases. 

I also don't think you can define success in these cases by box office success. 

Batman Begins didn't do as well at the box office, but it redefined comic book films that's lead to its dominance of the film industry. 

Edited by vafrow

16 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Yeah, the FB3 franchise is done. The OS OW is really bad.

Even if this week's numbers are discouraging, I'd wait until next weekend and see if it can have an Easter miracle with good drops overseas and a decent opening in USA plus remaining markets

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vafrow said:

It might. It's about around where Man of Steel and Spiderman Homecoming would land with up to date figures around that. It's also a very narrow category though, so, a bit of an odd angle to look at it. Other than Batman, Superman and Spiderman, there hasnt been many cases. 

that I also don't think you can define by box office success. 

Batman Begins didn't do as well at the box office, but it redefined comic book films that's lead to its dominance of the film industry. 

In terms of financial success, it's hard to argue that The Baman disappointed when it did better than every other superhero reboot.

And I don't think it's that narrow of a category.

There's The Incredible Hulk, Hellboy, Batman Begins, Superman Returns, Man of Steel, Fantastic Four, Punisher, Punisher War Zone, Amazing Spider-man, Homecoming, Dredd, etc.

Beating them all is no easy accomplishment.  

I recall Batman Begins causing a flood of grounded superhero movies. Whether that was a positive influence depends on who you ask.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Not reboot. Legacy sequel.

This seems like the most obvious way to go. Especially since the primary actors are still working actively. They'd get paid ridiculous sums, but, it's the best way to start fresh, especially if new child characters are introduced. 

It would have to be done well though, as it's their one shot to right the ship. 

21 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I wonder if WB is considering rebooting Harry Potter.

I think it will be harder than rebooting a comic book superhero who have already been reinvented in the comics several times.

I’ve sort of been thinking about this and I think people are underestimating the draw of Hogwarts in HP movies. There’s a reason the final battle in DH2 returns there and why we’ve gone back there with young hot Dumbledore now in FB. There’s just something about magical boarding school in a beautiful castle that feeds peoples imaginations. The rest of the wizarding world isn’t drawn as well as Hogwarts (like Diagon Alley is always funny to me because there’s just one street in the whole of the wizarding world where you can buy your schoolbooks? lol)

This is all just a long way of saying a Marauders prequel that maps Voldemort’s first rise to power and ends essentially where the first HP movie begins would do gang busters at the BO.

• Like 2

very possible that fb3 winds up below uncharted WW which is absolutely bonkers. ~250m overseas (50% drop from grindelwald) and ~120m domestic would do it. 

the franchise's public image is just buried at this point. my family are all diehard potter fans and have zero interest in fantastic beasts.

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 1

I think the obvious choice is to do a Founders era prequel. It's still got familiar names and Hogwarts obviously, but without the attachment to the HP era characters. Slytherine himself is interesting enough to be a great antagonist without it being a retread of Grindelwald or Voldemort. Plus there's a lot more freedom since so little detail is actually known beyond the broadest strokes. 

Edited by Lion Roar
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I wonder if WB is considering rebooting Harry Potter.

I think it will be harder than rebooting a comic book superhero who have already been reinvented in the comics several times.

I doubt it. I think a sequel series with the original actors is more likely. I know they are saying they're not interested right now. but give them 5-10 years and big enough paychecks and they will be back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

I think the obvious choice is to do a Founders era prequel. It's still got familiar names and Hogwarts obviously, but without the attachment to the HP era characters. Slytherine himself is interesting enough to be a great antagonist without it being a retread of Grindelwald or Voldemort. Plus there's a lot more freedom since so little detail is actually known beyond the broadest strokes. 

Cracked.com already did that

12 minutes ago, Eevin said:

very possible that fb3 winds up below uncharted WW which is absolutely bonkers. ~250m overseas (50% drop from grindelwald) and ~120m domestic would do it. 

the franchise's public image is just buried at this point. my family are all diehard potter fans and have zero interest in fantastic beasts.

I'm curious, what did your family collectively think of the first 2 movies? Do they just hate fb2? Rowling shenanigans?