Eric Duncan

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Doctor Strange 180/475

Top Gun 80/210

Lightyear 100/320

Jurassic World 215/620

Elvis 35/100

Minions 60/200

Thor 155/400

Nope 45/120

Yes. Yes. Yes. Youve seen the light.

Come join my club:

In regards to the softer numbers we appear to heading for (sub-$40 and sub-$30 respectively), it’s only highlighting two trends which have been consistent in the post-pandemic box office: 

1. Larger second weekend drops/weaker legs overall. Only a few notable, high WOM films have really escaped this trend, and likely to speaks to how GA still isn’t quite “back” (and may never be), helping to bolster numbers after the first weekend push. Also for Sonic, families have been desperate for content - nothing really since Sing 2 (unless you include NWH) - and probably helped inflate OW 

2. Weaker holidays - both Thanksgiving weekend and Christmas to New Years were softer, relatively speaking, than historical patterns would have suggested. Can’t help but wonder if people are just more inclined to spend time with family during them, after lacking that opportunity over previous 2 years, movies taking backseat  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Are you gonna watch the film? I remember you were a fan of FB1.

On Sunday. 

I liked most of FB1 but I found the Credence/Second Salem/Jon Voight stuff to be a slog and not well executed.

Credence did not improve in the sequel.

6m isn’t really a satisfactory number, it was only 0.3m higher than morbius especially with this Thursday behave like a holiday eve. I believe 45m is still in the run but 1m higher than uncharted really isn’t something that can make me happy.

but at least this weekend will likely gross another 100m for the market, right? 

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I wonder how JK Rowling feels that this franchise has decided to start identifying as a huge flop.

Requesting my account be deactivated because I’ll never write a post this amazing.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, Eevin said:

the fact that $45m would be considered a “win” at this point is surreal. i remember back in the day some people thought fb1 was disappointing lmao

I remember that as well. People were disappointed with it doing just slightly higher than Doctor Strange. It’s kind funny and sad that now come six years later, FB3’s DOM gross will be less than the OW of Strange 2.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

6m isn’t really a satisfactory number, it was only 0.3m higher than morbius especially with this Thursday behave like a holiday eve. I believe 45m is still in the run but 1m higher than uncharted really isn’t something that can make me happy.

but at least this weekend will likely gross another 100m for the market, right? 

Top 10 is looking to be roughly 40/30/6/5/5/5/4/4/1.5/.5 = 100, so will be close.

Needed more than 70 from top two heavyweights to get over $100M total, projections sitting right on that cut line, I’d take the under, est ~$98 mil in total 

Hopefully that restructuring by Zaslav happens sooner rather than later because WB needs a drastic overhaul! 

Batman fails to reach 800M let alone a billion 

FB3 will fail to reach 500M 

those are their biggest franchises, so the studio is definitely in trouble, especially with only 4 other films this year, 3 of them DC. Hopefully Super Pets, Black Adam and Shazam 2 break out for them, otherwise yikes!

1 minute ago, El Gato said:

Hopefully that restructuring by Zaslav happens sooner rather than later because WB needs a drastic overhaul! 

Batman fails to reach 800M let alone a billion 

FB3 will fail to reach 500M 

those are their biggest franchises, so the studio is definitely in trouble, especially with only 4 other films this year, 3 of them DC. Hopefully Super Pets, Black Adam and Shazam 2 break out for them, otherwise yikes!

I see you trying to undermine The Batman box office run by comparing it to the failure of Fantastic Beasts. :thinking:

• Like 5