Eric Duncan

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

1 hour ago, M37 said:

In regards to the softer numbers we appear to heading for (sub-$40 and sub-$30 respectively), it’s only highlighting two trends which have been consistent in the post-pandemic box office: 

1. Larger second weekend drops/weaker legs overall. Only a few notable, high WOM films have really escaped this trend

So glad knowing that Scream was one of them :) 

What is going on with America though? We’re having huge hits here in the UK. Belfast doing the equivelant of $150m, Sing 2 and Sonic 2 easily beating their predecessors. The Bad Guys doing solid Easter business heading for the equivelant of $100m+. The Batman being massive with the equivelant of $400m despite a 15 rating. 

Not including Fantastic Beasts 3, obviously. But I don’t think that’s been huge anywhere. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

What is going on with America though? We’re having huge hits here in the UK. Belfast doing the equivelant of $150m, Sing 2 and Sonic 2 easily beating their predecessors. The Bad Guys doing solid Easter business heading for the equivelant of $100m+. The Batman being massive with the equivelant of $400m despite a 15 rating. 

Not including Fantastic Beasts 3, obviously. But I don’t think that’s been huge anywhere. 

The UK has always been more of a cinemagoing nation compared to the US. Belfast was always going to do better here due to the local connection. 

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

America doesn't care about theaters anymore. It's all about that home viewing/streaming now. Welcome to the future.

(Before anybody comes after me, yes there will be plenty more theatrical hits. No theaters aren't dead. Yes I am slightly exaggerating. Please don't give me a lecture about this)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The UK has always been more of a cinemagoing nation compared to the US. Belfast was always going to do better here due to the local connection. 

We have?

Belfast wasn’t my only example though.  

2 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

America doesn't care about theaters anymore. It's all about that home viewing/streaming now. Welcome to the future.

(Before anybody comes after me, yes there will be plenty more theatrical hits. No theaters aren't dead. Yes I am slightly exaggerating. Please don't give me a lecture about this)

We have all the streaming shows and films that America has though, so that doesn’t answer the question.

And America isn’t exactly known for being ahead of the curve. Maybe it’s the “lazy” stereotype lol 

Edited by Krissykins

31 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Hopefully that restructuring by Zaslav happens sooner rather than later because WB needs a drastic overhaul! 

Batman fails to reach 800M let alone a billion 

FB3 will fail to reach 500M 

those are their biggest franchises, so the studio is definitely in trouble, especially with only 4 other films this year, 3 of them DC. Hopefully Super Pets, Black Adam and Shazam 2 break out for them, otherwise yikes!

The result for The Batman (770M~) is absolutely solid, it's only a disappointment for people who put the expectatives way too high based on NWH performance. The movie had many things against it like a controversial pick for Batman, terrible previous movies with Batman, 3hr runtime and really dark tone, no Russia/Ukraine and Covid in some big Asian markets, etc... and it exceed with a solid box office and critical acclaim which is a great sign for a billion dollar sequel.
That being said... I am really liking all the things I am seeing and hearing from Zaslav and his plans to DC, I hope we get a more solid planning about DC universe as a whole. 

Edited by Flamengo81

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

We have all the streaming shows and films that America has though, so that doesn’t answer the question.

And America isn’t exactly known for being ahead of the curve 😅

Then I guess America is just built differently.

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

I would imagine if Beasts still has a future it’ll be on HBO Max.

Honestly probably a good idea. A little embarrassing, but not as embarrassing as ending the franchise (though it does seem like the ending of this, which I haven't seen yet, doesn't leave things TOO open ended)

With SoD only being a slight improvement on the 2nd film, but still pretty meh critically, I think the damage is done. Don't see a 4th movie really recovering at the box office even if they can actually make something really good.

6 episode HBO Max "event"

Edited by Pinacolada

23 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

And America isn’t exactly known for being ahead of the curve. Maybe it’s the “lazy” stereotype lol 

We punt out UK some 200+ years ago. And we are the most closely to paradise in the world. I think we are very far ahead of the curve 

I think the expectation as to how quickly things become available to watch at home is different in the states. 

in the U.K., aside from Disney+, we don’t get the releases as quickly to home - and even then they’re PVOD at around $20, before retail digital seven weeks or so later. 

We don’t have Paramount+ or HBO Max yet. Peacock we have, but it doesn’t offer new movies. 

The Batman for example, we get next week to rent for $20, but the US get it on HBO Max streaming or to own digitally. It’s a big difference. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Personally I think WB should just leave Fantastic Beasts as a trilogy and focus on developing a new Wizarding World film with new creatives. 

Yeah honestly just give Joanne the treatment of she getting a say at the end of development but it doesn’t go further than that, I think a new flavor would help whatever is next.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

If I could offer a theory ...

Movie-going is very much a social experience. But in US - from a 1/2 punch of politics and pandemic - a lot of those local, social bonds have been frayed our outright broken over the last few years. So instead of going to movies with friends and neighbors, you see more of a trend of watching a streaming movie or show and interacting with "like-minded" people about it online

Top 10-25 markets have always carried the water for the US/Domestic box office, but the share is skewing even higher now, where population density has limited the impact of that social separation (higher price points a factor too), while the mid-tier markets are often struggling

• Like 3

1 minute ago, M37 said:

If I could offer a theory ...

Movie-going is very much a social experience. But in US - from a 1/2 punch of politics and pandemic - a lot of those local, social bonds have been frayed our outright broken over the last few years. So instead of going to movies with friends and neighbors, you see more of a trend of watching a streaming movie or show and interacting with "like-minded" people about it online

Top 10-25 markets have always carried the water for the US/Domestic box office, but the share is skewing even higher now, where population density has limited the impact of that social separation (higher price points a factor too), while the mid-tier markets are often struggling

I think it’s more to do with the pandemic pushing people towards buying gigantic-yet-decent budget 4K TV’s and soundbars, and making them more comfortable with shrinking theatrical windows.

• Like 1