Eric Duncan

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

So, I was just reading the Deadline article on the FB3 previews, and I'm not sure why the K-12 schools being off is a big opening detail mentioned for FB3.  FB1 had 18% under 18 and FB2 dropped to 14% under 18 for OW, and I suspect FB3 will be even lower in that category, if that's possible for a non-R-rated movie.

PS - What are we looking at for Friday at FB3...I wouldn't be surprised by any number pitched after 2pm previews yesterday of $6M.  I mean, I assume we're at $10M True Friday, at least, right?

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, Felipe said:

The point is, Rowling can't be buyed. She will die having creative control over the Wizarding World.

Warner Bros can't buy her out but there are ways they can keep her at arms length.

36 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yeah i woudnt compare Fantastic Beasts to The Hobbit. The Hobbit 1 was generally mildly positively received, the second one was even better. Only the third one had more of a mixed-slightly negative reception. In the years since, reception has gotten worse id argue, but when they came out, it really wasnt all that bad.

Also, id argue that The Hobbit films for all their flaws were always at least entertaining and had a simple, easy-to-follow plot. The Fantastic Beasts movies are way more muddled plot-wise.

The Hobbit's biggest issue was stretching one book into three films. I personally liked the films but it should have been two films. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

The Hobbit's biggest issue was stretching one book into three films. I personally liked the films but it should have been two films. 

Totally agree, two films would have been perfect. But still, having rewatched them like 1 year ago or so, they are really not too bad. Some stuff is not needed (the side quest of Gandalf with Sauron/Necromancer is eehhh) and some things should have never even been considered (the romance between that 1 dwarf and that one elven woman is hilariously bad), but as pure adventure fantasy movies they deliver most of the time.

The third one though imo is by far the weakest.

6 hours ago, YourMother said:

I remember that as well. People were disappointed with it doing just slightly higher than Doctor Strange. It’s kind funny and sad that now come six years later, FB3’s DOM gross will be less than the OW of Strange 2.

OW? Locked under the DS2 2day 😬

I don't think this will actually happen but under OD is sorrrrrrta live if you squint.

3 hours ago, Noctis said:

What are you talking about? It's had huge openings in France, Germany, Italy, Nordic countries. 

Oh sorry, I thought it was down basically everywhere. 

2 hours ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Moderation

Also of note, please do not feed the troll. El Gato was doing the same thing last month when The Batman came out, and we're not doing this stuff again.

Why is there a known troll to feed? Shouldn’t they already be banned if Mods know they’re a troll….?

18 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

as @Krissykins said….U.K. attendance post-pandemic has almost completely recovered to normalcy. That we haven’t turned up in typical droves for Beasts indicates an apathy to the series, not going to the cinema per se. 

Yeh that’s what I was getting at too. The UK are going back for films, which means there are no excuses for Fantastic Beasts 3. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

absolutely shocked that a movie series centered on "Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander" is experiencing diminishing returns and will not have 4 sequels produced

What about... Eddie Redmayne as Michael Morbius?

• Astonished 7

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

What about... Eddie Redmayne as Michael Morbius?

Whoever cast the first Fantastic Beasts movie did an awful job unlike the first Potter movie. Only Fogler and Sudol were cast well for their role - and Ezra Miller for that specific movie only and not for being the forgotten Dumbledore brother or whatever.

Newt and Tina having literally zero chemistry despite being the relationship we are supposed to root for is crazy. There had to be better casting there.

• Like 1

Go see The Northman btw, it’s a Robert Egger’s film through and through. A thrilling tale of revenge mixed with a reverence to Viking mythology, lying somewhere between Gladiator and The Green Knight. 

Impeccably staged sequences often filmed to look like a single take are absolutely awe inspiring. Coupled with Eggers usual stylistic choices, the beautiful scenery and surreal imagery, this is one of my favourite looking and sounding movies of the year.

I thought it ruled. They literally put the film on the dingiest screen in local my theatre with a huge scratch down the middle and dirt all over it and I was completely immersed. 

• Like 5

I do agree that FB3 was gonna Dark Phoenix itself WW even without a pandemic but in that world/timeline it wouldn't have mattered for theaters' future. Now? Well, I think now it matters a bit more because it is yet another poor performance to add to the list.

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

32 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

absolutely shocked that a movie series centered on "Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander" is experiencing diminishing returns and will not have 4 sequels produced

Redmayne has had such a bizarre career. I think you can make an argument that winning the Oscar actively hurt his career. 

He was an actor on the rise. Then won the award when I think most felt Keaton earned it. It landed him a coveted lead role in a major franchise that people seem to hate, or at least are indifferent to. 

He's still young, and he's still getting roles, he's just not a guy in any way who's name invokes that of an Oscar winning actor. 

1 minute ago, vafrow said:

Redmayne has had such a bizarre career. I think you can make an argument that winning the Oscar actively hurt his career. 

He was an actor on the rise. Then won the award when I think most felt Keaton earned it. It landed him a coveted lead role in a major franchise that people seem to hate, or at least are indifferent to. 

He's still young, and he's still getting roles, he's just not a guy in any way who's name invokes that of an Oscar winning actor. 

I saw Eddie as the Emcee in Cabaret in the West End a few months ago and he was excellent and just won an Olivier Award so while I think he might do not another big budget film for a while, he will still get roles in films, TV and on stage.

24 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I'd make the argument that he's not just not chosen the best projects to be in as of late. I was glad to see him in Trial of The Chicago 7 as that was an enjoyable movie and I thought he was good in that, and he's going to be in a film with Jessica Chastain called The Good Nurse which will be coming out on Netflix sometime this year.

But I do think he needs to start seeking out better projects to be apart of, maybe do a tv series, start building up a better track record. Like you said he's only like 40 years old so he's still a lot he can do, he just needs to start choosing better roles.

Edited by clockwork

Well, since I unfortunately wasted my time catching up on the last 5 pages, guess I should comment.   

The FB opening is awful but pretty unclear there’s any pandemic effect vs just franchise apathy. Sonic drop based on the Th seems likely to be disappointing but I think Good Friday will surprise high so I’m not gonna comment further until then.   

EEAAO is doing pretty great fwiw. Batman wasn’t like, huge huge huge, but totally respectable pre-pandemic blockbuster ticket sales. People will still show up for what feels worth showing up for — and if that bar is higher than it used to be, very difficult to disentangle a pandemic shock vs a mere continuation of a secular trend (attendance was declining all through the 00s, per capita attendance even worse, streaming industry pivot was pre-pandemic, etc). It doesn’t seem severe enough to kill exhibition this decade or anything, but probably should contract screens (and increase PLF %) in the long run. All the same stuff we’ve been talking about for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

some movies are just so bad they can single handedly kill enormously popular franchises, and crimes of grindelwald is proof of that waaaay more than anything pandemic-related. 

fantastic beasts is also so much more incidental to the harry potter series than the hobbit or star wars prequels were to their own franchises. if it was like a marauders prequel or another hogwarts series fans might show up regardless of reviews. but no one is going to show up to see the continuing adventures of newt credence etc without the movies even being good lol

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 2

The FB3 flop was seen from a mile away IMO.

I have no horse in the race, no personal opinion, haven't seen the movies. But come on. The sequel was down like 70m domestic from the first. Worldwide, it was down another 100 million. That's a big dropoff and nothing about the reviews or marketing hemorrhaged the bleeding. It just is what it is. 

Oh I suspected a sort of Dark Phoenix like drop like sub 100m for Dumbledore the past few months. Grindelswald was awful enough to kill any good will the franchise had. That’s the problem. Not the pandemic.

• Like 1