Eric Duncan

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Oh I suspected a sort of Dark Phoenix like drop like sub 100m for Dumbledore the past few months. Grindelswald was awful enough to kill any good will the franchise had. That’s the problem. Not the pandemic.

So how are its numbers worrying for theaters then ?

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Oh I suspected a sort of Dark Phoenix like drop like sub 100m for Dumbledore the past few months. Grindelswald was awful enough to kill any good will the franchise had. That’s the problem. Not the pandemic.

It's not just that Grindelwald was that awful, it's also that this movie didn't look like it was enough of a departure from that as well. When you have an awful previous movie, you need the next movie to really deliver and look like something worth watching and different.

It's like the first Purge movie was really bad, it opened high but died almost immediately. The next one actually looked different and delivered on the concept of the first movie and actually managed to increase.

• Like 11

Wait how are people saying this a flop already? Honest question because I'm not as clued in to the box office numbers as others on here are. I thought we'd have to wait till like Monday to get a bigger picture of what things are like but it seems some people on here are like "omg its a big flop" when its barely been open for a day. But like I said I'm not as clued into what's going on.

• Like 1

Fantastic Beasts as a series also had and has the inherent problem that it doesnt know what it wants to be. Is it the story of a quirky wizard zoologist that wants to study and safe magical animals? Is it about the younger days of Dumbledore? Is it about stopping Grindelwald who wants to stop the Nazis?

I mean, really. Honestly.

This series has a serious identity crisis.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

It's not just that Grindelwald was that awful, it's also that this movie didn't look like it was enough of a departure from that as well. When you have an awful previous movie, you need the next movie to really deliver and look like something worth watching and different.

It does make me wonder if another director could have brought new to the table and why I think a fresh start is needed for future WW films. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

I haven't seen either FB movie but the way people talk about Crimes of Grindelwald intrigues me. It's really that bad? 

Don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be. Most of it is really boring and forgettable tbh. The only thing that really grinded my gears was how the film ruined my favorite aspect of the last film. There was a romance between Dan Fogler's character with a bombshell wizard character that was really cute and charming and wholesome, but then the sequel revealed that she basically brainwashed and roofied Dan Fogler into having a relationship with her, which is just...ugh.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I haven't seen either FB movie but the way people talk about Crimes of Grindelwald intrigues me. It's really that bad? 

It has in my opinion one of the worst scripts in recent blockbuster history. The actual plot is insane and not in an entertaining way. When your movie consists of 1/3 flashbacks, youre having a major pacing problem.

Also, for a film that is called "Crimes of Grindelwald", there are actually not that many crimes that Grindelwald is comitting. One of the worst things he does in the movie is actually killing a lizard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I saw Eddie as the Emcee in Cabaret in the West End a few months ago and he was excellent and just won an Olivier Award so while I think he might do not another big budget film for a while, he will still get roles in films, TV and on stage.

From what I vaguely recall, I think he was really pushing for the FB role. I think he really wanted the big A list actor status, but, he might just be a guy better suited towards being a talented working actor. 

I never saw Trial of the Chicago 7, so, can't speak to his work there, but, hopefully for him he collected some decent paychecks from these FB movies, and he has the freedom to pursue smaller projects that may suit him better. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gazer365 said:

Wait how are people saying this a flop already? Honest question because I'm not as clued in to the box office numbers as others on here are. I thought we'd have to wait till like Monday to get a bigger picture of what things are like but it seems some people on here are like "omg its a big flop" when its barely been open for a day. But like I said I'm not as clued into what's going on.

It’s not too hard to ballpark the final gross based on the 6M previews (and we had the previews clocked pretty well like a week ago). We have a pretty good idea of whether a movie will be a mega success, huge flop, or somewhere in between before the first showings start.

16 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Plot wise, not that bad. But the way the plot unfolds onscreen is death.

There are exposition scenes which interrupt ongoing exposition scenes. It's a movie without a structure and somehow every single creative decision taken in it is the wrong one.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Plot wise, not that bad. But the way the plot unfolds onscreen is death.

There are exposition scenes which interrupt ongoing exposition scenes. It's a movie without a structure and somehow every single creative decision taken in it is the wrong one.

WB's mistake on The Fantastic Beasts films was letting JK Rowling write the screenplays, she is good writer of novels and ideas but a terrible screenwriter.

• Like 1

I'd like to think of myself as a pretty smart guy, good degree and job and all that, and I had no fucking clue what was happening in Crimes of Grindewald. You'd have to have a PhD in Theoretical Physics to understand the plot of that shit. It was just random names and events happening with zero tether.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

29 minutes ago, watcher1232 said:

So how are its numbers worrying for theaters then ?

I don’t believe I said that. My statement was moreso based on the weekend being disappointing. It’s become obvious that recovery may not be 100%, theaters are still going strong and 2022 is looking very fruitful especially with a busy summer and a promising holiday slate.

4 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Harry Potter is over, it's time to let that shit go 

Harry Potter will never be over. It will always deliver a warm and cosy place near the fire in the Griffyndor common room for people in need to escape to another world for a couple of hours. 

You can't compete with that, just like the Hobbit couldn't compete with The Lord of the rings. When the best story out of a universe is already told, second best will never feel satisfying and that's why those movies fail in the end and as the story goes on. . 

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

put a gun to my head and ask me to recall one single plot point from crimes of grumpelwank and that's it, my life is over. the best i could probably do is "was there a scene with a giant bird or something?"

Just remember that there is a scene where a baby, that wasnt actually the baby some characters thought it was, drowned, and the baby, that was actually the baby everyone thought drowned, was alive.