YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

3 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Bad Guys is a non-sequel, non-disney animated movie and there haven't been a lot of those since the pandemic. but generally they tend to be waaay more walkup-heavy with much lower previews. like for instance The Addams Family did a 20x IM back in fall 2019, and that was an established IP already. Stuff like Abominable and Captain Underpants like someone else mentioned have done 30x or more easily. 

What time did the preview start? I believe pre-pandemic films including animation had their preview start at the latter hour.

13 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

What time did the preview start? I believe pre-pandemic films including animation had their preview start at the latter hour.

5:00 pm. Not the 3-4 stuff. in line with pre pandemic animations.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Yeah, I think people are sleepin on Puss. I can see it hitting 60M OW.

Nah no DWA has done $60m OW since Madagascar 3 10 years ago. Best case for Puss 2 is an OW around HT2 ($48m)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eevin said:

weekdays updated again for EEAAO and they are once again fucking great. 899k on thursday. i don’t think another increase this weekend is off the table, 5m+ definitely looking likely. 

The increase today would have to be extremely small for it to miss $5m this weekend. I think a single digit drop is in the cards.

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

This weekend might make me go from team "theaters be dead" to "theaters be damn alive and well".

We can all thank a single movie for all of this shit, never forget who put buts in the fucking seats all the way back in the Spring of 2021 and filled the Summer schedule in the process. Bless the kings (if this weekend goes well of course, if not fuck them).

Reveal hidden contents

The Power of the V

38 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Have you not seen its weekday figures. 66% yday, 51% before that. It sure is a trend.

Yes and? Its a 1-2 combo of inflated weekdays with Easter last week and 3 new films opening in previews last night. Even accounting for HBOm doesn't make for all of the fall. 

• Like 1

Of course HBo Max will hurt Batman. It’s not even a question. Obviously WB doesn’t care about cutting off their theatrical runs to get their movies in streaming as fast as possible. Wonder if Tom Cruise will succeed in getting his movies a longer window since I read that he was pissed about Paramount’s 45 day window 

Edited by John Marston

Really didn't think Northman would do 10+, I had it 9 barely missing. So hopefully it gets over.

Not surprised about Massive Talent. The ironic Cage fans laughed at the mentions of Con Air and Mandy, but whenever, like, Raising Arizona joke happens... crickets. It's just a meme movie, and meme movies don't work theatrically. Also 30m budget for that is wild.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Really didn't think Northman would do 10+, I had it 9 barely missing. So hopefully it gets over.

Not surprised about Massive Talent. The ironic Cage fans laughed at the mentions of Con Air and Mandy, but whenever, like, Raising Arizona joke happens... crickets. It's just a meme movie, and meme movies don't work theatrically. Also 30m budget for that is wild.

Lionsgate is in shambles. Another disaster for them. 

24 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I understand this reference and it is a scar in my life.

No one should live not having seen this masterpiece. So for those who have not seen it

• Astonished 1