Eric Furiosa

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire | March 22, 2024

The '21 movie made less than $2M more than '16 film and roughly the same worldwide (but became actually profitable due to a much more manageable budget for the property), and didn't seem to leave too much of an impression in its wake. No budget info for this yet but I'd be surprised if it cost substantially more than the $75M that did when they didn't bring any truly major names on board (Kumail Nanjiani is the only addition truly in demand) and bringing the originals back in larger roles likely didn't break the bank given the current state of their careers.

TBH the entire concept behind Ghostbusters these days probably has the strongest chance of succeeding as a truly family-targeted mid-budget comedy in the vein of Goosebumps and not as a PG-13 aspiring blockbuster with megabuck aspirations, because the level of demand that the studio wants for the latter is evidently not there and probably never will be.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The '21 movie made less than $2M more than '16 film and roughly the same worldwide (but became actually profitable due to a much more manageable budget for the property), and didn't seem to leave too much of an impression in its wake. No budget info for this yet but I'd be surprised if it cost substantially more than the $75M that did when they didn't bring any truly major names on board (Kumail Nanjiani is the only addition truly in demand) and bringing the originals back in larger roles likely didn't break the bank given the current state of their careers.

TBH the entire concept behind Ghostbusters these days probably has the strongest chance of succeeding as a truly family-targeted mid-budget comedy in the vein of Goosebumps and not as a PG-13 aspiring blockbuster with megabuck aspirations, because the level of demand that the studio wants for the latter is evidently not there and probably never will be.

Because those Goosebumps movies never made much money.

For studios it's Go Big or Go Home. They rather have 1 massive blockbuster than 5 mid level successes.

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

why does a Ghostbusters movie look like the biggest blockbuster ever made

Because it took way too long for GenX’ers to grow up and realise the insightful, mature, and thrilling adventure series’ they grew up with were actually closer to pure silly nonsense for children. That’s why we’ve had to suffer through content created to capitalise on their misplaced nostalgia. Look at Michael Bay’s Transformers and Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers The Movie, that new He-Man show on Netflix. They flipped out when Indiana Jones survived a Nuke in a fridge, forgetting he survived a waterfall in a ToysRUs inflatable boat in the 80’s. 
Ghostbusters is even more bizarre for me. The GB fans disregarded that 2016 film even though it was pretty close to what Ghostbusters actually was. Now we’re stuck with these action/adventure dirges and the highest praise I’ve seen from GB fans is “at least it isn’t the 2016 version”.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2024 at 2:24 AM, grim22 said:

The guy in the video is exhausting.

I’ve watched the original Ghostbusters with Gen-Z kids. They were fine. My daughter did wonder why a movie that’s one long sex joke was so huge but that’s about it. Kids really do hate this whole “over sensitive” political label they get slapped with. They understand some movies are old, times were different. Knock it off.

The reason films like GB isn’t all that big with the kids today is because this generation is the first to have the luxury of not watching a movie solely because there’s nothing else to watch on the five TV channels you had available. This is how a lot of people got franchises like Indiana Jones, James Bond, Ghostbusters, and Star Wars. You will miss a lot of older content if you had near infinite choices and had to employ some kind of effort into deciding what you’re going to watch.

2 hours ago, AJG said:

Because it took way too long for GenX’ers to grow up and realise the insightful, mature, and thrilling adventure series’ they grew up with were actually closer to pure silly nonsense for children. That’s why we’ve had to suffer through content created to capitalise on their misplaced nostalgia. Look at Michael Bay’s Transformers and Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers The Movie, that new He-Man show on Netflix. They flipped out when Indiana Jones survived a Nuke in a fridge, forgetting he survived a waterfall in a ToysRUs inflatable boat in the 80’s. 
Ghostbusters is even more bizarre for me. The GB fans disregarded that 2016 film even though it was pretty close to what Ghostbusters actually was. Now we’re stuck with these action/adventure dirges and the highest praise I’ve seen from GB fans is “at least it isn’t the 2016 version”.

Um, it wasn’t. Not in the slightest

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lucas said:

why does a Ghostbusters movie look like the biggest blockbuster ever made

not saying this movie will be good but all Ghostbusters posters are pretty much the Gb’s posing with their guns looking serious so there is no difference here

• Like 1

I will say...this movie has made it to the Fortnite tween boy set.

My kid, who hasn't wanted to watch a 2024 movie yet, has said he'd like to see this in March.  Not KFP4 - this one.  

So, keep that in mind.  Now, it's not all my kids, so this is just a tiny movie whisper, not a full on one...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJG said:

New trailer dropped 7 hours ago and nobody bothered to upload... it might be a sign

I remember no one uploaded the Bob Marley trailer in it's thread until like a day after it dropped, but it still massively exceeded expectations...

So no, not really.

• Like 1