Eric the IF

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire | March 22, 2024

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It's almost like Ghostbusters fans are incapable of accepting anything new 👀

I blame the studio at this point. 20 years ago there may have been a misplaced hope of getting the band back together, but seeing crypt-keeper Murray in that trailer I refuse to believe anyone really wanted… this

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Sigh. It’s a sequel to a reboot and they’re leaning harder into the nostalgia then ever.

It is not a sequel to a reboot.  It is a sequel to a sequel to a sequel.

Here's the thing. I can have two separate thoughts about this movie. Do I personally think it looks good and am I looking forward to it?-Yes. At the same time does the reliance on nostalgia to sell it bother me because they think there is a massive audience that wants that even though the box office does not back that up-Yes. As long as they did not blow up the budget and kept it close to AfterLife it should be fine. But if they think this will do 200 m dom or 400 m WW. EEK

I enjoyed Afterlife even though it wasn’t a patch on the original, and I’ll likely watch this, but it never stops being funny just how hard the Sony marketing department keep trying to make it seem like Ghostbusters has some sacred legacy with these overly reverent trailers. Dial up the goofy comedy and ditch the generic dramatic music please, this is a series where Dan Ackroyd gets blown by a ghost, and they seem to be afraid to lean into what makes Ghostbusters feel like Ghostbusters. This trailer would’ve benefitted from just having the Ghostbusters theme song playing throughout.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I mean...I'm 26 and I care about Ghostbusters, even with its gross Reagan-ass politics. These new movies suck though. Afterlife is up there with Jurassic World as one of the worst blockbusters in recent years.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 2

16 hours ago, John Marston said:

There is zero hype for this movie. This is easily one of the most mismanaged franchises of all time 

That's what happens when you make films specifically for Gen Xers, what's the appeal in Afterlife or Frozen Empire for a new fan or younger demographic to hop onboard? Them "passing the torch" ultimately got sidelined for MORE 80s nostalgia.

2 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

That's what happens when you make films specifically for Gen Xers, what's the appeal in Afterlife or Frozen Empire for a new fan or younger demographic to hop onboard? Them "passing the torch" ultimately got sidelined for MORE 80s nostalgia.

I liked Afterlife and I never really cared about Ghostbusters, it's just a fun adventure movie with a charming cast. That's why I'm not interested in this new one that seems to be fully leaning in on the old cast I don't care about.

• Like 1

This clearly should have been the first movie out.  At least going on trailers...but that's what they want you to think...  

Still haven't seen Afterlife (or that "other one"), forgive me.  But I'd be more interested in seeing this.  Let's see if this works the same way for the general audience.  

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Just found out this movie is taking IMAX away from Dune 2. Was it even filmed in IMAX?

I am pretty sure I remember hearing months back it was filmed in IMAX.