BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

I wonder if the negative/mixed reception of Strange will have an impact on Thor.  There's an air of disappointment with Marvel atm

Don’t think so.

Each project has different expectations. The expectations for Strange were out of control. With Thor, I think people just want more Ragnarok fun.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I wonder if the negative/mixed reception of Strange will have an impact on Thor.  There's an air of disappointment with Marvel atm

Probably good for Thor… if it delivers

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Probably. The same way negative/mixed reception of Eternals really fucked up No Way Home's box office....

• Haha 9
  • Astonished 1

Just now, MessiahXXR said:

Probably. The same way negative/mixed reception of Eternals really fucked up No Way Home's box office....

Yes, that was sad. And i really thought that No Way Home had such great potential.

A shame, truly. NWH grossing something like ... u dunno ... 1,8 billion or so would have really demonstrated that theaters are still far from beeing dead. But we all know how that mixed Eternals WOM crushed our hopes in NWH brutally.

To think, NWH dropped 67,5% on its second weekend!!! In December holidays!!! Disaster.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MessiahXXR said:

7 minutes ago, DS2HaterLegion Confirmed said:

Probably good for Thor… if it delivers

Finally, the true secret to NWH’s success revealed -  thank you based Zhao :ohmygod:

I don’t disagree though that Marvel is disappointing.

They are releasing just too many projects and seem more worried about content than actually delivering quality products. Obviously Covid had a big effect but a lot of other studios have had the same issues.

I think the reason the Batman was well received was because it felt like a passion project and it’s own thing. The MCU now just feels like they are in auto pilot atm.

Edited by exomassey

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I'd think not given Thor and the Guardians that will be pop up at least some in Thor last left on super high note flying off in the Milano together when we last saw them. Guardians Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Infinity War and Engdame all boost the popularity of the Guardians with their popularity at or near an all time high. Ragnarok, Infinity War and Endgame all boosted the popularity of the revised more humor based Thor which has him at peak popularity. And, without going to far into spoilers, neither Thor not the Guardians have been seen in any Marvel Studios series or film since we last saw them at the end of Endgame. Nothing has happened to cheapen their characters since Endgame.

I do think a nice new trailer or extended teaser attached to Lightyear and/or Jurassic World would help stamp out any concerns of Strange somehow diminishing Thor's returns. But, again, people that actually see or saw Strange 2 won't think any less or Thor or the Guardians or Valkyrie or Jane or Korg or [insert name of any character/actor that will appear in Thor 4] because of Strange 22 because, well,  you know...

4 minutes ago, exomassey said:

They are releasing just too many projects and seem more worried about content than actually delivering quality products. Obviously Covid had a big effect but so has a lot of other studios.

I think the reason the Batman was well received was because it felt like a passion project and it’s own thing. The MCU now just feels like they are in auto pilot atm.

Well, Shang Chi and No Way Home were certainly very well received too as each finished with close to or over a 3 OW DOM mulitplier. The Batman was also well received with a very nice close to 3 multiplier. But, yeah, Black Widow was received much more as a serviceable MCU flick. Eternals received as pretty much an experimental, overly ambitious not quite fun misfire. And, now, Strange 2 is just plain not what most people wanted/expected... Too weird, not as family friendly and not the cameo stuffed romp people convinced themselves they'd get. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Well, Shang Chi and No Way Home were certainly very well received too as each finished with close to or over a 3 OW DOM mulitplier. The Batman was also well received with a very nice close to 3 multiplier. But, yeah, Black Widow was received much more as a serviceable MCU flick. Eternals received as pretty much an experimental, overly ambitious not quite fun misfire. And, now, Strange 2 is just plain not what most people wanted/expected... Too weird, not as family friendly and not the cameo stuffed romp people convinced themselves they'd get. 

Yes, false/misleading advertisement can really make your WOM stinky. Even if a movie is great, when its marketed as something that it just isnt is, audiences will more likely than not react negatively.

Regarding the passion project... Man, I don't know. I personally don't think any superhero movie has felt like passion project with a major voice showing through since stuff like Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Dark Knight, Spider-man, Spider-man 2 maybe Logan too. I'm forgetting others. I'd say Joker but that's not a superhero movie. Those directors went nuts and pretty much made exactly what they wanted to make period.

None of these big event superhero movies which is pretty much any/all new DC or Marvel flick feel like passion projects. I didn't even think Suicide Squad felt like one and Gunn went nuts there too. Which is fine. I and I imagine everyone else expects that now better and for worse. Some of them are pretty good or even very good. But, now, they all have show spinoffs either on Disney+ or HBOMax. They all shoehorn junk in because they gotta... Unfortunately, true passion project mega budgeted superhero flicks aren't wanted because these are sure hits even if they disappoint as we sit here discussing the disappointing final DOM and OS total of movie that at worst will something like 370+ DOM and 950+ WW. These are so valuable I just don't think they let director really just make whatever... Which kinda sucks but ensures even if returns diminish it happens slowly rather than abruptly.

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm with you on a sub-$400 total incoming for Strange, but curious why you have a such a large drop penciled in for next weekend (5/20)? Harsher than CACW or IM3 on that same weekend, with far less competition, only Downton, on level of Eternals week 3 and even worse than BW and Morbius in W3 (with Good Fri)

Would think most of the WOM/frontloading effect has already manifested in this weekend's results, and grosses should settle into more of a grove going forward

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Krissykins said:

What’s the next “Endgame”? Secret Wars? 

If that doesn’t beat Endgame then you can certainly talk about a decrease in interest, confirmed. 

I don’t buy the work at home/virtual excuse for a second though. Not when some top tier films have just been released and filmed during covid. Black Widow and Multiverse of Madness have been two of the most entertaining MCU films IMO.

No Way Home didn’t release at the worst point of the pandemic either, that was a year prior. 

if they do it right don't think so

1 hour ago, exomassey said:

They are releasing just too many projects and seem more worried about content than actually delivering quality products. Obviously Covid had a big effect but a lot of other studios have had the same issues.

For me, the MCU movies are as decent as they’ve ever been. Always entertaining, some of them great. Just like it has been for every phase.  Out of all 28 there’s only really been a handful of genuinely great movies. Majority of them very entertaining, and some that are just…fine. 

This past year we’ve had one great one, and four mixed to decent ones. Business as usual if you ask me. 

Black Widow is shit, Shang-Chi is the tits, Venom 2 is entertaining, Eternals is ambitious shit, NWH is literally the greatest movie/experience/rollercoaster of all time, DS2 is the tits. Honestly just a normal run for the MCU.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Black Widow is shit, Shang-Chi is the tits, Venom 2 is entertaining, Eternals is ambitious shit, NWH is literally the greatest movie/experience/rollercoaster of all time just after Jurassic Park and Jurassic World, DS2 is the tits. Honestly just a normal run for the MCU.

I fixed the small error in there. Now its perfect.

• Haha 2