BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Is Everything Everywhere All At Once essentially locked to surpass Uncut Gems as A24's top DOM grosser at this point? I'm thinking it might even get to 60M+ DOM at this point. Pretty remarkable and an awesome, awesome success for an indie flick. Hopefully a good sign going forward.

Pretty much. Even with big openers that will be gobbling up screens over the next few weeks, the schedule is going to be light in terms of new product and theaters are going to be more eager to drop movies that are officially on their way out + the extra Doctor Strange screens now that it's dying down. Should still be in the top 10 in early June at this rate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Could the MCU become the new Harry Potter/Twilight? Meaning giant OW's but extreme frontloading and thus "weak" legs even with good or great reception? I think at least for much-hyped movies like Doctor Strange 2, where there is a need to avoid spoilers for many fans, it could alreaby be similar to those two franchises.

For stuff with like newer like Shang Chi 2, origins like Blade or sequels that are more so normal sequels like Quantumania or Thor or Wakanda, they should be fine but for event level stuff especially in May suspect weaker legs.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Is the front loadness a MCU problem, or just a Doctor strange problem?

This. MCU has 20+ different IPs under their umbrella. They don't perform the same. Some movies click more some less. Still, there's no way to spin D2 as anything but massive success. It way exceeded the first movie's boxoffice so mission accomplished. So all the talk about MCU being in trouble is the new SH fatigue will hit any day now,OK any week, er month OK year, er decade, etc. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 8

51 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Dropped about 40% here compared to the first one, will likely top out at less than half what the first one made. But I don't think the overhead is particularly high, plus it'll do very well in home markets

I really dug the first one; it's a perfectly crafted trifle that knows and delivers exactly what its  audience wants, but I have no interest in the sequel. With all the things Fellowes could explore- the stock crash and subsequent global depression, the rise of fascism, Dame Maggie's seemingly dire health teased at the end of movie one- we get a trailer about a secret villa in Italy she's inherited? Even for Downton, it just seems so... pointless.

52 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

DS2 will fall behind CW total this weekend and CW had less competition that summer. its major competition was apocalypse and finding dory . The latter underperformed .

DS2  has TGM,JWD and lightyear which are all 100M plus potential OW  openers.

I’m not sold on Lightyear opening to 100m OW, it gives me Pikachu/Lego Batman vibes but the double screenings will help Strange.

11 hours ago, Bigscrubnus said:

remember when this was supposed to be an easy billion? So much for that

It is still an easy billion even if it don't reach billie due to external factors.

Even with $380M in USA & how much it do in current markets i.e. $570-590M. It is missing $20M in Middle East, $30M in Russia & $5M in Ukraine. 

Also due to Russia war, exchange rates are worst in long time, making it lose another $40M or so.

Even without involving China the real value is $1050-1075M.

China would likely be around $300M if it was released.

Hence easy billion.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty much. Even with big openers that will be gobbling up screens over the next few weeks, the schedule is going to be light in terms of new product and theaters are going to be more eager to drop movies that are officially on their way out + the extra Doctor Strange screens now that it's dying down. Should still be in the top 10 in early June at this rate.

It will spend more weeks in top 10 than Morbius :hahaha:

btw, I just looked the Friday chart on The numbers and it says that Uncharted is playing on 1253 theatres this weekend when it was playing on 430 theatres till Thursday. Did it really got an expansion or is just an error?

Edited by Grebacio

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It is still an easy billion even if it don't reach billie due to external factors.

Even with $380M in USA & how much it do in current markets i.e. $570-590M. It is missing $20M in Middle East, $30M in Russia & $5M in Ukraine. 

Also due to Russia war, exchange rates are worst in long time, making it lose another $40M or so.

Even without involving China the real value is $1050-1075M.

China would likely be around $300M if it was released.

Hence easy billion.

I disagree...if you make a movie that isn't allowed release in areas, you can't say it would make X in those areas b/c it would never be allowed release in those areas, be it 2020, 2022, or 2024.  

The creators of Dr Strange 2 knew going in that China and the Middle East were likely never getting releases.  The only money you MIGHT be able to count towards the "theoretical" box office is Russia/Ukraine b/c that war was unexpected and not related to the movie ever getting a releases...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I’m not sold on Lightyear opening to 100m OW, it gives me Pikachu/Lego Batman vibes but the double screenings will help Strange.

I'm not sold, either.  I think it could miss part of the Father's Day wave it wants to the dinos and then never be the kids summer camp/swim team choice b/c Minions is much more known and saccharine and younger skewing.

It's a real wildcard on whether it goes sky high or really disappoints...and it may be quality and GA WOM that decides it (whereas Minions can suck and it's still getting to $200M this summer)...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

btw, I just looked the Friday chart on The numbers and it says that Uncharted is playing on 1253 theatres this weekend when it was playing on 430 theatres till Thursday. Did it really got an expansion or is just an error?

Looks like it did, lot of theaters around me are showing it twice a day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

DS2 drop I think confirms a lot of people thought this was going to be a cameofest of Multiverse characters ("scoopers" claimed everyone from Deadpool to Tom Cruise Iron Man was appearing), and it's just a case of folks finding out that's not the case and it's closer to a more regular solo/duo MCU movie. Neighborhood of 400M will still be amazing for a Strange/Scarlet Witch movie.

Firestarter should have just been an OTT release. 

At this point, pretty sure the overhyped, uncertain rumors about a truckload of cameos really hurt this film. The fact that the "Superior iron man who would be played by Tom Cruise" rumor got trending on Twitter for a while when the trailer got released was just ridiculous and out of nowhere. Nevertheless, I still think DS2 has a  great jump if you compare it to DS1, thanks to how Marvel has kept shoehorning Strange in almost every MCU film since 2016, which makes him become familiar to the general audience. I have already mentioned this in the DS2 thread but Doctor Strange himself is a lackluster character, before DS2, in the eyes of a lot of young MCU fans he's just a grumpy, unfriendly uncle. 
Here on Reddit people are even discussing why Wong becomes so popular lately 
https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/uoat00/why_is_wong_so_popular/
(In short, the conclusion, is Wong had a down-to-earth personality that made young people feel comfortable with, while Strange had a gigantic ego.)

On Twitter, people are more engaging with Theron's declaration post that she just joined MCU through a small cameo in DS2 
(the post gained nearly 420k likes, which is very impressive). It's a sad but undeniable fact that they are more interested to see other side characters in Strange's film but not Strange himself. Perhaps this might change in the future with how Strange's character arc and character traits have panned out in this film.

17 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Expansion. And it out-grossed fellow Sony films Morbius and Father Stu on Friday

IMO, Disney+ is the biggest drawback for Lightyear above all else. Even if the pandemic never happened and every Pixar movie came out in theaters, I feel that a lot of families now treat Disney's animated movies as something to wait on. Why pay money for it now when it'll be on Disney+ for free in a month and a half? Maybe even less than that. It's not like the MCU where you have to see it before you're spoiled. Encanto barely made a dent in theaters, yet exploded on streaming a month later. That's a sign. Still, Lightyear should still do like 250M, which at least will put it ahead of most of the future Disney animated projects.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Strange said:

IMO, Disney+ is the biggest drawback for Lightyear above all else. Even if the pandemic never happened and every Pixar movie came out in theaters, I feel that a lot of families now treat Disney's animated movies as something to wait on. Why pay money for it now when it'll be on Disney+ for free in a month and a half? Maybe even less than that. It's not like the MCU where you have to see it before you're spoiled. Encanto barely made a dent in theaters, yet exploded on streaming a month later. That's a sign. Still, Lightyear should still do like 250M, which at least will put it ahead of most of the future Disney animated projects.

I think eventually it’ll normalize as theatrical animation will normalize but for now yeah, don’t think we’ll see a 300m animation until next year if we’re lucky and that’s from Illumination.

22 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The creators of Dr Strange 2 knew going in that China and the Middle East were likely never getting releases. 

Eh. Middle East was just last minute thing. Disney probably decided the PR of we won't delete LGBT scene in West was worth more than they lost in ME.

Evene China there was no sane reason to ban the movie it just happened. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, honeycookiez said:

At this point, pretty sure the overhyped, uncertain rumors about a truckload of cameos really hurt this film. The fact that the "Superior iron man who would be played by Tom Cruise" rumor got trending on Twitter for a while when the trailer got released was just ridiculous and out of nowhere. Nevertheless, I still think DS2 has a  great jump if you compare it to DS1, thanks to how Marvel has kept shoehorning Strange in almost every MCU film since 2016, which makes him become familiar to the general audience. I have already mentioned this in the DS2 thread but Doctor Strange himself is a lackluster character, before DS2, in the eyes of a lot of young MCU fans he's just a grumpy, unfriendly uncle. 
Here on Reddit people are even discussing why Wong becomes so popular lately 
https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/uoat00/why_is_wong_so_popular/
(In short, the conclusion, is Wong had a down-to-earth personality that made young people feel comfortable with, while Strange had a gigantic ego.)

On Twitter, people are more engaging with Theron's declaration post that she just joined MCU through a small cameo in DS2 
(the post gained nearly 420k likes, which is very impressive). It's a sad but undeniable fact that they are more interested to see other side characters in Strange's film but not Strange himself. Perhaps this might change in the future with how Strange's character arc and character traits have panned out in this film.

The fact that people are more interested to see supporting characters/half villain like Wanda, Wong, Clea, loki etc than main characters like Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Captain America etc is a common problem in MCU fandom at present but could become a serious problem for MCU moving forward. Just imagine if DCEU fans get more hype/interested to see Mera, Robin, Alfred than Aquaman, Batman & Superman...