BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Downton Abbey should be a stronger opener next weekend.

How is it playing in the rest of Europe? It is fucking tanking here. I am guessing it will open like 50% below the previous one (and the previous one didn't play at our main theatrical chain because of a dispute between it and Universal, unlike this one).

Dropped about 40% here compared to the first one, will likely top out at less than half what the first one made. But I don't think the overhead is particularly high, plus it'll do very well in home markets

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Could the MCU become the new Harry Potter/Twilight? Meaning giant OW's but extreme frontloading and thus "weak" legs even with good or great reception? I think at least for much-hyped movies like Doctor Strange 2, where there is a need to avoid spoilers for many fans, it could alreaby be similar to those two franchises.

Yes. MCU movies will be more frontloaded.

However I think with this movie there was a lot of hype after NWH and it didn’t deliver for people. It won’t even get half of NWH final domestic box office, not great.

However I don’t think Thor and Wakanda Forever have this type of hype on them really. They should perform better if they are well received.

• Like 2

Do “MCU legs suck now” convo remains weird to me. Yes, it is true that:

A) 3PM Th starts will drag down total/ThFSS for all movies, especially with increasing awareness of Th as the true OD from casuals

B ) there is a larger dedicated fan base than ever before for the mcu

C) they’re doing more sequels which are naturally bigger OW/more frontloaded

But we just saw great legs from Shang-Chi and NWH. The crappy legs have been from the Premier Access release and the two with bad to weak reception. True FSS legs from well-received movies will probably be pretty similar to phase 3.

• Like 2

DS2 will fall behind CW total this weekend and CW had less competition that summer. its major competition was apocalypse and finding dory . The latter underperformed .

DS2  has TGM,JWD and lightyear which are all 100M plus potential OW  openers.

6 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Could the MCU become the new Harry Potter/Twilight? Meaning giant OW's but extreme frontloading and thus "weak" legs even with good or great reception? I think at least for much-hyped movies like Doctor Strange 2, where there is a need to avoid spoilers for many fans, it could already be similar to those two franchises.

No, I think that's a premature, and reflects more how audience/market dynamics have shifted in post-pandemic era than specifically about the MCU. Yes, there is absolutely more of an OW fan-rush and larger previews (facilitated by earlier Thursday showings), but its magnified much more when a film struggles to break out beyond that core fan base

To rephrase: I don't think anyone is expecting Thor L&T to bank 50% of its total gross by the end of its first Sunday in July, like both Order of Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince did (albeit off of Wed openings). And NWH legged out much more like TFA than LJ or Skywalker

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Borobudur said:
(7) The Lost City Paramount Pi… $470,000 +190% -25% 1,675 $281 $95,889,828 50

Should reach 97m by end of this week with 1.6m~1.7m (-40%) since last weekend was boosted by MD. 

It's genuinely hilarious to me that Paramount+ (and also Peacock I guess) is the one streaming service where putting a movie on there doesn't do jack to its legs. Kind of embarrassing tbh

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Is the front loadness a MCU problem, or just a Doctor strange problem?

Before we could maybe declare it a "MCU" Problem, we should atleast wait how both Thor 4 and Black Panther will perform.

In the meantime, this huge second weekend drop for Strange can be perfectly attributed to the already very frontloaded OW and the mixed reception. Both these factors cut into legs.

• Like 7

https://deadline.com/2022/05/box-office-doctor-strange-2-firestarter-1235023217/

Deadline update...and yes, 9 is blank for some reason, so I assume that's where Family Camp slips in...

1.) Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Dis) 4,534 theaters, Fri $16.7M (-81%)/3-day $60M-$65M (-65% to -68%)/Total $290.9M-$295.9M/Wk 2

2.) The Bad Guys (Uni) 3,788 (-51) Theaters, Fri $1.65M (-29%), 3-day $6.68M (-30%)/Total $66M/Wk 4

3.)Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Par) 3,116 (-242) theaters, Fri $1.03M (-31%), 3-day $4.25M (-29%)/Total $175.3M/Wk 6

4.) Firestarter (Uni) 3,412 theaters, Fri $1.54M (includes previews), 3-day $3.57M/Wk 1

5.) Everything Everywhere All at Once (A24) 1,726 (+184) theaters, Fri $917,8K (-3%), 3-day $3.1M (-11%)/Total $46.9M/Wk 8

6.) Fantastic Beasts…Dumbledore (WB), 2,578 (-473) theaters, Fri $650K (-38%), 3-day $2.46M (-42%)/Total $90M/Wk 5

7.) The Lost City (Par) 1,675 (-222) theaters Fri. $470K (-25%), 3-day $1.745M (-37%)/Total $97.1M/ Wk 8

8.) The Northman (Foc) 1,934 (-479) theaters, Fri $480K (-42%), 3-day $1.64M (-43%)/Total $31.1M/Wk 4

9.)

10.) Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (LG) 1,076 (-255) theaters, Fri $290K (-32%)/, 3-day $1M (-37%)/Total $18.1M/Wk 4

Edited by TwoMisfits

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Is the front loadness a MCU problem, or just a Doctor strange problem?

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Before we could maybe declare it a "MCU" Problem, we should atleast wait how both Thor 4 and Black Panther will perform.

In the meantime, this huge second weekend drop for Strange can be perfectly attributed to the already very frontloaded OW and the mixed reception. Both these factors cut into legs.

It's a B+ Cinemascore on an extremely hyped OW problem. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

DS2 will fall behind CW total this weekend and CW had less competition that summer. its major competition was apocalypse and finding dory . The latter underperformed .

DS2  has TGM,JWD and lightyear which are all 100M plus potential OW  openers.

The competition the next 2-3 weeks is more relevant:

CACW's weeks 3-5 had new films opening to a combined $70M, $92M (including another CBM), and $58M respectively, and had pushed up to $392 mil by 6/09

Strange is looking at like $20M, $100M+, and then a basically empty weekend before JWD, but still may not reach $390 by that point

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Yes. MCU movies will be more frontloaded.

However I think with this movie there was a lot of hype after NWH and it didn’t deliver for people. It won’t even get half of NWH final domestic box office, not great.

However I don’t think Thor and Wakanda Forever have this type of hype on them really. They should perform better if they are well received.

Yes. Agreed. I'd lump in Guardians Vol. 3 as well. But, yeah, all three I guess work. I don't think anyone expects any of the three to big some giant crossover event. There will be cameos but likely nothing insane like CW, NWH non Avengers movies. I think people expect Thor to include the Guardians for a bit, Jane a good deal, some new characters and whole lotta Thor and for it to be colorful, zany, fun crowd pleaser. I expect that's what they'll get too... Same applies to Guardians Vol. 3 as Thor 4 pretty much. Black Panther 2 I just don't know... I don't think anyone knows what to expect. I think most are expecting the worst but hoping for the best with that one. Obviously, and very sadly, we don't have the lead any longer. And, from many reports, the shoot was a huge pain and very stop and start on top of that. I'm not very optimistic for that one at all. Hope I'm wrong. BUT, it should still open so big that you'd have to think 400M+ DOM is locked for it.

I think with Strange 2 because of other multiverse stuff like No Way Home and Spider-Verse. And, while not multiverse but still similar concept in what Endgame did crossing multiple timelines for maximum cameo and crossover... People just assumed that that would happen even though the trailers only hint at Professor X and market hard the Raimi horror fantasy angle, Wanda coated something that looks like blood, a zombie Strange, a three eyed Strange, etc. What was marketed is essentially what the movie is honestly. But, between many expecting a fun, rollicking cameo fest  and something much more kid friendly and something more tied into or even driving forward the overall Avengers timeline... People simply did not get what they expected. And, certainly while not super weird, it's definitely weirder in a funhouse horror way than anything people would expect too. Also, while not super violent, it's certainly much more jarring in its violence than all other MCU stuff too even if it's fantasy violence. 

It's easily my favorite Phase 4 anything even with it's wart because it moves fast and has a lot of neat filmmaking flourishes but, yeah, this isn't the type of flick that'll ever play to huge, huge audience. Verbinski pulled off weird fantasy selling huge receipts with Pirates 2 and Pirates 3... Gunn did with Guardians too. But, this is horror weird not adventure pirates weird or sci-fi fantasy weird. Raimi's Spidey flicks are juggernauts of populist filmmaking. His Army of Darkness, Darkman, Drag Me To Hell while awesome are decidedly not that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And it is benefitting from Dr Strange's unfamily friendly WOM...or my review here...not sure which:)!

The Bad Guys reminds me of How to Train Your Dragon; in a sense that it was an excellent DreamWorks production and there was an article back then about HTTYD where it said DreamWorks was soaring into Pixar-dominated skies..

The Bad Guys is an excellent film and the trailer / marketing did not do it justice.

• Like 2

Obviously a brutal drop for Doctor Strange, but it can be attributed to a mix of things including franchise frontloading and a semi-mixed reception (plus possible lack of appeal to those who don't completely absorb everything MCU). The MCU is in absolutely no danger of fading, especially when Thor and Black Panther will post huge numbers as well later this year, even if they clearly aren't growing their audience much as they've branched out into Disney+ shows and making said shows very much as important to the franchise as the movies (therefore adding a "do your homework" component to the franchise that it's long avoided until now).

Even the very few people who paid to see Firestarter hated what they saw with its C- CinemaScore grade. One of the more glaring examples of a remake/revival absolutely no one was asking for in a while.

Is Everything Everywhere All At Once essentially locked to surpass Uncut Gems as A24's top DOM grosser at this point? I'm thinking it might even get to 60M+ DOM at this point. Pretty remarkable and an awesome, awesome success for an indie flick. Hopefully a good sign going forward.

• Like 1