Eric Prime

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

I like the way Ember is animated in that clip, if the movie is gonna work for anyone she's gonna be what holds it all together. 

That being said I have gotten the sense from both that clip and the other one that was released that the movie moves too quickly, feel like both scenes should've been twice as long.

1 hour ago, Melosh said:

I gotta say after seeing this clip, say what you want about how the story will play out but the  characterization and creativity of the animation that goes with it,is really on point.(not surprising considering that the director has a history of being a character animator.) 

Peter Sohn was an animator on Osmosis Jones, I think.

4 hours ago, Melosh said:

I gotta say after seeing this clip, say what you want about how the story will play out but the  characterization and creativity of the animation that goes with it,is really on point.(not surprising considering that the director has a history of being a character animator.) 

I agree. The stories might be hit or miss, but their animation is just top tier.

Problem with this film is looks like is derived from other Sucessful Pixar films. Like a mixture of 'Monsters, Inc" and 'INside, Outside".

Pixar is a good example of be careful of what you wish for, you might get it. For years Pixar chaffed under the one film a year rule, when that expired they begun turning them out faster, and, surprise, the quality went down and it sort of lost it's Rolls Royce image.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's strange that some want to see Pete Docter fired from Pixar, that'd be cutting your nose to spite your face. 

Pete Docter is a great director/writer/storyteller, but a Chief Creative Officer like John Lasseter he is not.

Edited by Boxx93

I think it's fair to say he may be starting to feel some heat on his seat rn, though it'd be rash to make any moves at least until after Elio gets its chance.

I do think it would help Inside Out 2's prospects if he were able to be more hands on involved with that.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I think it's fair to say he may be starting to feel some heat on his seat rn, though it'd be rash to make any moves at least until after Elio gets its chance.

Yeah, he's still pretty new to this, and he had to deal with COVID pretty much right away, I think they should give him a bit more time to get his bearings.

He may have been a bit too friendly w Maclane and Sohn and given them more creative autonomy than they should've had, but Elio does seem like something slightly more grounded and relatable, and I think that has good mainstream potential.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Just realized that if I see Elemental I'll also have to see that dumb "Carl's Date" short. 🙄

If you have assigned seating, just go in 10-15 minutes late.

Nowadays I go in to my screenings 15 minute after the posted start times, and always skip nearly all trailers and ads.

22 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

Weren't Luca and Turning Red made under Docter's leadership? I think it's unfair to write things off with him like this when we already have two good ones out of his oversight.

I remember reading around the time Lightyear came out that it was the final movie given the green light under Lasseter's leadership (it takes about 5 years to make these movies), so I think this is the first actual project of the Docter era.

48 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

Weren't Luca and Turning Red made under Docter's leadership? I think it's unfair to write things off with him like this when we already have two good ones out of his oversight.

I heard that Turning Red (and presumably Luca too) might have been pitched to Lasseter.

But Pete Docter took over from there so it was mostly him.

Character issues aside, Lasseter never had three straight flops under his regime. Fair or not, if that happens under Docter he would be the easy scapegoat. It's like how sports teams fire their managers if they have a bad season just to look like they're doing something.

That being said hopefully it doesn't get to that point.

As I kept saying releasing this in such a busy schedule is a huge blunder. It would have benefited from an open market. Even back in spring it could have opened early March which would have given it a month before Mario opened. Creed/Scream/JW4 dont compete at all as opposed to Spiderverse and releasing same week as Flash is another mistake. On top of it showing the movie that early showed they were blindsided to the reviews seen. After Lightyear they should have been more careful. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AniNate said:

He may have been a bit too friendly w Maclane and Sohn and given them more creative autonomy than they should've had, but Elio does seem like something slightly more grounded and relatable, and I think that has good mainstream potential.

Elio is a sci-fi animation............ it should have been cancelled after Lightyear flopping. It is proven time and again that sci-fi animation is a cursed genre. But the leadership in Disney and Pixar are too spineless to do something like that.

• Disbelief 1