Eric Prime

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

And if teenagers REALLY didn't want to go see this movie with or without their families, they would find an excuse not to.  I'll be interested to see the demo breakdowns from Deadline or wherever -- but the bottom line is, if the numbers hold, MAVERICK is clearly the success it needs to be across demos.  

A comparison to Star Trek '09 would be interesting here.  That movie generated a reboot series but *still* didn't generate deep appeal to a younger generation, I don't think...  

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Reviews/WOM/Cruise factor isn't really enough to turn it into the highest OW in Cruise's career by far and maybe the highest Memorial Day weekend, especially after pandemic, popularity of the first one definitely plays the part here too.

We need more movies with flying object money shots.

BouncyHeavyBobolink-size_restricted.gif

This_Is_The_Shot_Michael-47ee811eedc1d36

AccomplishedAstonishingKitfox-size_restr

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, excel1 said:

"What pre-release reasoning exists to make one think Top Gun in 2022 is any more popular today than Ghostbusters, E.T. or Back to the Future? "

Because fighter jets (like dinos) are cool, even more so when you put them on the ever expanding number of PLF screens, and it’s a movie that’s going to play well all over the US, not to a niche audience 

In the worst case you get a Dune type run, and in the best case … we’ll, we’re pretty much seeing it 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Firepower said:

To be honest they never made true Ghostbusters 3 which would make much more money. First attempt to revive the franchise was surrounded by extremely negative reactions since the very first trailer and second attempt was a small Stranger Things type of movie about little kids in a small town and old cast are just cameos and were never shown in promo. What Sony did with the franchise was extremely incompetent to say the least.

Even a straight Ghostbusters 3 I don’t think would’ve done that much, maybe 200m domestic tops.

Just now, YourMother said:

Even a straight Ghostbusters 3 I don’t think would’ve done that much, maybe 200m domestic tops.

I think it is extremely difficult to determine which properties will blowup ala JURASSIC WORLD or TG:M and which ones will go the route of Independence Day 2, BR49 or Ghostbusters. 

36 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It would be funny if they didn't...or didn't have either of the top 2 movies - although $400M is a high bar for 2 movies to beat...

I think...

MoM + Lightyear + Thor 2 (Disney)

Makes more than...

Jurassic World 3 + Minions 2 (Universal)

Unless I'm forgetting a Universal blockbuster. 

I will say it nice that another studio can challenge Disney for the crown.

21 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I watched recently for the first time. had to skip romance cause it was really bad and boring. I like romance but this one sucked. Also, Cruise is so tiny compared to his love interest, it's like Shrek and Puss in Boots where Cruise is Puss. 

Flights were nothign special though jets are cool period. Bro parts were good. 

Honestly, Puss is so charismatic he'd make it work for an audience.

Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

Moderation

@excel1 @EmpireCity Yeah, we're done with this convo. If you guys really want to argue through PMs, feel free to. But in this thread? We're done.

Hey, I'm just glad that an irrelevant only means something to the 55+ crowd is going to open to like $160m+ and make nearly $500m domestic.  

Pretty good for something with no general interest.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Hey, I'm just glad that an irrelevant only means something to the 55+ crowd is going to open to like $160m+ and make nearly $500m domestic.  

Pretty good for something with no general interest.  

The argument was pretty unnecessary as the Box Office speaks for itself and we'll get demo breakdowns by Deadline sometime this weekend anyway.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think...

Makes more than...

I will say it nice that another studio can challenge Disney for the crown.

Nope

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Anecdotal but most of my friends haven't seen the original and didn't care for the trailers but wanna see it after the reviews since they won't feel like they're missing out now.

Applies to me as well. Never watched the original Top Gun, wasn't interested in watching Maverick, but after the reviews and WoM, I bought my tickets for today.

11 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

The argument was pretty unnecessary as the Box Office speaks for itself and we'll get demo breakdowns by Deadline sometime this weekend anyway.

Not unnecessary at all. The big picture topic is how TG:M breakout helps us figure out what other properties have similar potential. Nobody has answered the basic question asking for evidence pointing the popularity of the 1986 film with middle aged movie goers from recent years. Pointing to stats from the 1980s - or the opening weekend box office of TG:M  - does not shed any light on the question asked. If someone was trying to understand what made TG:M or Jurassic World different from Ghostbusters, BR49, Independence Day 2, Alien 5, Terminator 10, etc - pointing out the 1986 films relevance back in the 1980s isn't helpful. All of those films had predecessors which were highly influential.  

I, and based on many others predictions over the last 2 years, had a hard time envisioning there being a lot of people hungry for a Top Gun sequel in recent years. Of course if it were made, it would make money, but what caused it go to as far as it did? Mission Impossible sized numbers would have been excellent, but it is crushing that. I think more than anything, the extremely high RT score and lack of Bay/Bruckheimer style military jet films in recent years deserves a lot of credit for helping TG:M be more of a Jurassic World than a Ghostbusters.

Edited by excel1

25 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think...

Makes more than...

Nope

• Like 1

Moderation

@excel1 Listen bucko, I told you to stop, so stop. If you continue this whole "is Top Gun really relevant with 30somethings" or whatever you're parroting, you will see a threadban. I know you don't want this, so I really suggest you stop this right now. Your choice buddy boy.

19 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I know deadline’s midday updates are... less than reliable sometimes. But damn if I’m not waiting here hoping we get something in the next hour.

Some overseas number first then.

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

https://deadline.com/2022/05/top-gun-maverick-tom-cruise-opening-records-global-international-box-office-1235034560/

Paramount’s Top Gun: Maverick is soaring in its overseas debuts, clocking $33M from 47 markets at the international box office through Thursday.

Highlights so far include France, which bowed Wednesday to $1.8M, scoring the biggest opening day for a Paramount live-action title and also for Cruise in the market. Thursday added $2.9M for the best Ascension Day opening of any movie there ever. Rolled up with previews, the France cume through Thursday is $5.9M. The movie has 4.5 stars out of 5 from audiences who are turning out in the cities and the provinces.

In Australia, Thursday’s debut was $1.5M for a $2.5M total including previews. This is Cruise’s biggest opening day ever Down Under. Germanydebuted to $1.6M for a $2.5M cume with previews. Brazil likewise has cumed $2.5M so far while Mexico is at $2.1M.