Eric is Anxious

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

18 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Most shocking box office runs of the 21st century...

Black Panther

Jurassic World

The Force Awakens

TOP GUN MAVERICK?

Endgame

American Sniper

My Big Fat Greek Weddiing

Deadpool

300/Wonder Woman

I'd add Twilight and Twilight Saga: New Moon. Twilight taking 70M OW sent shockwaves. New Moon doubling that OW sparked doomposting. 

Twilight franchise is underrated for some reason and people forget that those movies were cheap af yet opened as big as expensive blockbusters. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So is star power back on the menu, boys or is TGM the exception to the rule?

I think Top Gun is more of an example of a popular IP (Top Gun) that matched with one particular star who needs to be there for it to be a Top Gun film.

Same with Mission Impossible imo: If they would change Tom Cruise to any other actor i would predict the movies to gross significantly less. So for certain movies and franchises, the combination of the brand name and certain star(s) is very important indeed.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, can we finally give Tom Cruise his Oscar in some way with this movie?  Maybe a "he saved the rest of cinema" Oscar:)...

He has good enough reviews to pull a Jack Sparrow if Paramount wants to give him a proper awards campaign. His movie also has solid 78 metacritic score (in comparison, awards nominee blockbuster Dune has 74) and 8.2/10 average on RT from 97% fresh, which works in his favor.

20 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Black Panther

Jurassic World

The Force Awakens

TOP GUN MAVERICK?

Endgame

American Sniper

Deadpool

300/Wonder Woman

The Avengers 2012 run was more shocking than most of these imo. Reached top 3 all time WW at the time when all the solo films released before can't even touch $650M + making MCU a pop culture phenomenon.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

And then both The Lost World and Fallen Kingdom opened at practically the samel level adjusted for inflation

Well this is where my ** caveat comes in to play — JP2 had the #1 ranked OW of all time, and JW2 had the 20th. It was very funny when I was researching that post to see that they were ~identical from atp though!  

Speaking of funny things I noticed, really distilled what various studios have been about over the years. A lot of it is infested with marvel, dc, SW —but hipster universal is about to be 4/5 dinos.   

And then you have the 5/5 angsty YA romance studio :hahaha:

Boy what a time.

Edited by Show Me The Legion
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Alot of comebacks this weekend...

Theaters

Tom Cruise

Star Power

Paramount

And of course Miles Teller. 

Indeed. he dropped off the face of the Earth but is back now. And surprisingly likable here (well, more than usual, he'll never be Cruise type of likable) 

39 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Black Panther

Jurassic World

The Force Awakens

TOP GUN MAVERICK?

Endgame

American Sniper

Deadpool

300/Wonder Woman

I will add Frozen 

• Like 1

Can't talk about shocking box-office performances from this century and not mention The Avengers.

A film to gross $200M in it's 3 day opening and $100M on its second weekend? Everyone expected big numbers but few saw that "Holy SHIT!" performance coming.

• Like 7

I know it’s very recent but I think NWH beats out most of these movies being thrown around. Both the OW and late wknds domestically and OS were absolutely surreal under the circumstances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

That sat would require less than 20% bump, seems pretty low imo

42-43M seems more like it 

Typically Saturday increases come from increased daytime business, while losing some ground at night.  Given the holiday, anticipation, age skew and sizable PLF demand, think there less room to grow here 

But also a movie difficult to be against so 🤷‍♂️