Eric is Quiet

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

Top Gun Maverick is awesome!

A- movie from almost all of us (the youngest gave it a B+, b/c he said it had some "boring" moments - aka, the fan service from the 1st movie that he had never seen).

My eyes are tired after watching it, and a few things are a little too convenient at the end to get an A...but an excellent movie, and enjoyable by those who have watched and who haven't watched the 1st movie.

And I loved Tom's opening and the opening 5 minutes.

PS - My Polish exchange student said this was the perfect father/son movie, so look for this to get a big Father's Day boost.  It kinda totally is perfect for that coming holiday.

PPS - Give Tom some Oscar for carrying this movie - it's his movie, he made it everything it is, and everyone around supported him in the movie spectacularly...it's truly a single lead movie with a cast filling all the roles to support that lead.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Mary Scorror, who lives in an attic with foster parents, is told that she is a witch of Hogwarts by Hagrid. On the train over she meets smart kid Harry Ginger, and ethnic minority kid TBD. We soon find out that there's a mystery afoot about who the Dark Arts teacher is to be solved in a later film. Mary faces terrifying challenges with her friends including all-new Hogwarts content like the big draughts game, the magic hitting plant and the wine-cellar cobra! But who is the terrible dark force behind all of these travails?????

All in the all very original and creative film: Harry Potter: The Magic Rejuvinates coming soon from Warner Brothers and JJ Abrams

• Haha 1

Don't underestimate the power of Jennifer Connelly's stunning, ageless face in the trailers, either. She looks better today than she did in A Beautiful Mind 20 years ago!

Edited by excel1

Just watched the film. this is how every big action film should be. I'm glad it's getting this success, hope it inspires more tentpole films to move away from CG fests.

• Like 7

After seeing great late legs for sonic2 and TLC, I am wondering if paramount+ hit the optimal range number of subscribers base.

A total number of subscribers that low enough not to cannibalise/discourage the moviegoing crowd, but still high enough to generate extra buzz and awareness back to their movie, thereby extending their theatrical run.

Or, it was just total fluke because of low competition in the marketplace right now.

• Like 1

In regards to late sequels (or remakes), you have to factor in the nostalgia gap, essentially one generation or roughly 25 years. That's when enough time has passed where people who recall content they enjoyed when they were kids/teens/young adults are now at a place in their life where they will indulge it again, take their own kids, remember their youth, whatever. And yes TG2 is a 36 year gap, but look at the age/demo breakdown and image how it would look had it come out 10 years ago instead

Here are some recent releases (off top of my head) and the gap from the original:

Jurassic Park --> World = 22y

Star Wars --> Phantom Menace = 22y

Phantom Menace --> Force Awakens = 26y [bringing 3 generations together]

Jumanji --> Welcome to Jungle = 22y

Scream --> Scream = 26y

Lion King/Aladdin/Beauty & Beast = 26y

Addams Family = 28y

101 Dalmatians --> Cruella = 25y

Space Jam = 25y

Mortal Kombat = 26y

And so on, but you get the idea

So if you're looking at sequels and/or remakes ... the 80s are done, window has closed, especially for family movies, sorry, and even early 90s is stretching it. Looking at top grossing titles 95-00, some potentials that might work (setting aside whether these actually could get made with original cast, or how plot might work, etc

Speed (not in this specific time frame, but mentioned above, good choice)

Twister

Jerry Maguire

Happy Gilmore

Con Air

Practical Magic

Blair Witch Project

Varsity Blues

10 Things I hate About You

You've Got Mail

Meet The Parents (Meet the Grandparents, obv)

Gone in 60 Seconds

Coyote Ugly

Training Day

And in case you're wondering, yes I do feel really old now having catalogued all of these titles are at least 20+ years old

Edited by M37
Typo on JP/JW

47 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Just watched the film. this is how every big action film should be. I'm glad it's getting this success, hope it inspires more tentpole films to move away from CG fests.

Sure. I just want them to be good movies though whether they lean on practical, CG or a nice marriage of both I don't care.

I still can't wait for Avatar 2 and Jurassic World 3 and they both lean heavily on CG. I can't wait for MI 7.1 either and I'm sure that'll lean heavy on practical. I think there's a place for all of them when they're done right. And, with that, given most tentpole films are superhero films these days, outside of Batman and some others, it's kinda hard to not lean heavy into CG... But, again, don't half ass it. Make the sure the imagination is there and do it right. 

So far as the action in Maverick as compared to other esteemed action flicks... It's remarkable but, no real fault of its own, it's the same aerial stuff over and over because that's really all it can be and it's the best ever at that which is truly awesome. But, of more recent stuff, I'll take Fallout, Fury Road, Raid 2, etc. because I just preferred the variety in each to Maverick. Heck, so far as Kosinski goes, I preferred the action in Tron Legacy too. Kosinski is an awesome action filmmaker. Just my preference. Oblivion has some great action beats too.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

In regards to late sequels (or remakes), you have to factor in the nostalgia gap, essentially one generation or roughly 25 years. That's when enough time has passed where people who recall content they enjoyed when they were kids/teens/young adults are now at a place in their life where they will indulge it again, take their own kids, remember their youth, whatever. And yes TG2 is a 36 year gap, but look at the age/demo breakdown and image how it would look had it come out 10 years ago instead

Here are some recent releases (off top of my head) and the gap from the original:

Jurassic Park --> World = 32y

22 year gap for JP and JW not 32.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, M37 said:

Speed (not in this specific time frame, but mentioned above, good choice)

Speed 3 genuinely feels like the only one which can be done and be a big hit.

It's got the actors who are still doing well even now and a lot of nostalgia for the original movie and everyone has decided to ignore that the second one exists.

Obvious setup is the Reeves and Bullock who haven't met since they broke up after the first Speed movie find themselves on the same cross country flight which is hijacked or something and only Reeves can save them now. Going back to a bus is likely not possible, no one wants to see a boat again, so flying is the only option.

• Like 4

Just now, grim22 said:

Speed 3 genuinely feels like the only one which can be done and be a big hit.

It's got the actors who are still doing well even now and a lot of nostalgia for the original movie and everyone has decided to ignore that the second one exists.

Obvious setup is the Reeves and Bullock who haven't met since they broke up after the first Speed movie find themselves on the same cross country flight which is hijacked or something and only Reeves can save them now. Going back to a bus is likely not possible, no one wants to see a boat again, so flying is the only option.

Man, remember all the movies about planes getting hijacked??

• Like 1