Eric is Quiet

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

11 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Man, it's so depressing seeing The Northman just get raped out of theaters

Eggers just did an interview with The Daily Beast where he talked about it a bit

https://www.thedailybeast.com/robert-eggers-feels-he-needs-to-restrategize-after-the-northman

This makes me wanna give Robert Eggers a hug. Audiences don't deserve him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M37 said:

In regards to late sequels (or remakes), you have to factor in the nostalgia gap, essentially one generation or roughly 25 years. That's when enough time has passed where people who recall content they enjoyed when they were kids/teens/young adults are now at a place in their life where they will indulge it again, take their own kids, remember their youth, whatever. And yes TG2 is a 36 year gap, but look at the age/demo breakdown and image how it would look had it come out 10 years ago instead

Here are some recent releases (off top of my head) and the gap from the original:

Jurassic Park --> World = 22y

Star Wars --> Phantom Menace = 22y

Phantom Menace --> Force Awakens = 26y [bringing 3 generations together]

Jumanji --> Welcome to Jungle = 22y

Scream --> Scream = 26y

Lion King/Aladdin/Beauty & Beast = 26y

Addams Family = 28y

101 Dalmatians --> Cruella = 25y

Space Jam = 25y

Mortal Kombat = 26y

And so on, but you get the idea

Note that many of those had sequels that played well after the original release. I.E. FORCE AWAKENS was the coming off a  10 year Star Wars gap, Jurassic World was a 14 year gap, etc. 

1 hour ago, M37 said:

So if you're looking at sequels and/or remakes ... the 80s are done, window has closed, especially for family movies, sorry, and even early 90s is stretching it. Looking at top grossing titles 95-00, some potentials that might work (setting aside whether these actually could get made with original cast, or how plot might work, etc

Speed (not in this specific time frame, but mentioned above, good choice)

Twister

Jerry Maguire

Happy Gilmore

Con Air

Practical Magic

Blair Witch Project

Varsity Blues

10 Things I hate About You

You've Got Mail

Meet The Parents (Meet the Grandparents, obv)

Gone in 60 Seconds

Coyote Ugly

Training Day

I don't think the 80s are closed. Those films are widely available now that many have found audiences. Agreed that a 2024 release is not as ideal as 2004-2015 may have been but there could still be demand. Of the ones listed above, Speed could work, Twister...Paxton is dead, Hunt is retired basically? Varsity Blues LOL.

If I were a film producer, I would to be the first to capitalize on early 2000s nostalgia. There is potential there.

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Would be also a very expensive turd. 1 Billion budget for the whole thing if i remember correctly.

I feel like, despite stumbling so badly and just... kind of.... forgetting character motivations at the end, the Game of Thrones prequel will end up doing better both critically and in terms of ratings compared to LOTR.

LOTR will have a big first episode launch, no idea if even a half of that will make it to the last episode. And we will have streaming ratings telling us the exact audience as well.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

LOTR is un-remakable if that is a word. Literally perfection. I will be forever sad that i am too young too have had the chance to experience these movies in the cinema when they came out.

I saw all three of them 5 times when they came out 😎

What an EPIC WIN for the classic Bruckheimer manufactured blockbuster release model!

• Star power
  • Premier release date
  • Bright, flashy trailers
  • AMERICANA 
  • Agressive marketing 
  • Music video promotions from major artists
  • Multiple tie-ins

This feels like 1998 release.

• Like 2

If they wanna remake the 80's, I used to think Clue was impossible to remake or make a sequel...but then some really ingenious folks in the last few years did it in the comic books...and if they wanted to adapt one of those comic runs to the big screen, I could be down for seeing if the best, most timeless, comedy of all time can have another edition.

You couldn't bring back almost any of the original players, but in that type of movie, you don't need to...although it would be macabre to have them be "the killed" as the movie goes - cameos that end up in their demise...

27 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Its been over 3 months since the teaser dropped and its crazy how, with the amount invested, Amazon hasn't released diddly squat since with only about 3 more months to go.  I still hope its good, but given what we've seen so far I'm not ruling out an epic turkey.

Its trailer has near 1.6m dislikes to just 0.116m likes, thats nuts for such a big IP like this. I understand that some of it is brigading from people with an agenda but a lot of it is also from fans who genuinely did not like the looks of the show from the trailer. Amazon needs to readjust its marketing or it will have a very expensive failure on their hands. 

23 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

LOTR is un-remakable if that is a word. Literally perfection. I will be forever sad that i am too young too have had the chance to experience these movies in the cinema when they came out.

Edge of Tomorrow i think suffered from not-good-enough marketing and in general from the competition. Days of Future Past and Maleficent were stronger choices i think for many familys and an unknown original IP/movie always faces an uphill battle against such more well-known brands.

Worldwide, the World Cup 2014 cut into its grosses as well probably.

Same here, I was too fairly young too at the time to see them in theatres(plus being in India meant that I was not into Hollywood at that time). And my country is not very big on re-releases so I doubt I will ever get a chance to do so. 

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I feel like, despite stumbling so badly and just... kind of.... forgetting character motivations at the end, the Game of Thrones prequel will end up doing better both critically and in terms of ratings compared to LOTR.

LOTR will have a big first episode launch, no idea if even a half of that will make it to the last episode. And we will have streaming ratings telling us the exact audience as well.

D&D have zero involvement with House of the Dragon so their apathy that took over in seasons 7&8 won't be around 

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If they wanna remake the 80's, I used to think Clue was impossible to remake or make a sequel...but then some really ingenious folks in the last few years did it in the comic books...and if they wanted to adapt one of those comic runs to the big screen, I could be down for seeing if the best, most timeless, comedy of all time can have another edition.

You couldn't bring back almost any of the original players, but in that type of movie, you don't need to...although it would be macabre to have them be "the killed" as the movie goes - cameos that end up in their demise...

If it wasn't for Knives Out I'd agree that a new spin on Clue might be a good idea 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, excel1 said:

What an EPIC WIN for the classic Bruckheimer manufactured blockbuster release model!

• Star power
  • Premier release date
  • Bright, flashy trailers
  • AMERICANA 
  • Agressive marketing 
  • Music video promotions from major artists
  • Multiple tie-ins

This feels like 1998 release.

This. Kind of felt that vintage JB vibe straight through the whole movie.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

If it wasn't for Knives Out I'd agree that a new spin on Clue might be a good idea 

I think Ryan Reynolds said he was planning a new Clue? But I think it was before Disney bought Fox, so I don’t know if it got scrapped or not

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Wtf is streaming ratings?

In terms of legacy sequels, the only ones I think could do very well are a Beetlejuice sequel and  Speed 3 with Keanu and Sandra Bullock but directed by someone like David Leitch.

12 hours ago, wildphantom said:

yep. There were a few of us on here confident that the movies would bite back like they always do. Against insane adversity they’ve done it again. 

why? Because there is nothing comparable to the experience people are having watching Maverick, massive with a sold out crowd this weekend.  

as awful as the pandemic has been, its let the studios try out what it would be like to put out their movies directly to consumers - and the answers have been ultimately deafening. They need theatres. 

There was a guff about whether people would want to go out again but truthfully people discovered being a home all the time is very boring and especially in the case of theatre and concerts, you cannot replicate that at home even with streaming technology getting better and it's something that has survived thousands of years and a pandemic was never going to kill off the live experience.

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Way too much text. I just want actual streaming ratings who tell me how many people are dropping these streaming shit shows after 2 episodes.