Eric is Anxious

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

11 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

Second weekend has Lightyear taking up all its PLFs. Pretty much every movie sinks like a rock on its second weekend because its PLFs are swallowed up by the next big movie, and even if it gets late legs, it can still be hard to maintain a good multiple in the end. Said this before, but theaters really need to find a way to get like 2-3 IMAX auditoriums, 2-3 Dolbys, 2-3 4DXs, etc. in their establishments, because PLFs are the only things people are willing to go to these days.

Agree on this. Best theater multiplex I've been to was a place that had 6 PLF screens that were each 80+ feet wide. Allowed them to show several different movies on those screens if they wanted. 

28 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

What that then likely means is Lightyear is going to get a boost in interest (because we actually know it is off the charts good) and the market will be ready for another breakout.  

Lightyear is possibly the most interesting run this summer for me. You could give me sub 200m and over 400m and I wouldn’t be surprised at either scenario. It’s also the first major animation in a while and you shouldn’t bet against Pixar (even though Chapek has been fucking them over for the past two years) and with usually good reviews it’ll thrive (assuming it’s going off of people who seen the movie and not just the first 30 minutes). I’m more on the $275m-$325m range for it as I feel the best comparison for it would be Lego Batman on a larger scale in terms of drop from TS4.

Edited by YourMother

In a hypothetical to come down to Maverick and Thor for the top crown (in that Dominion underperforms) would be interesting. I think Maverick would win though between the two, if the total goes as high as our insiders think.

Edited by YourMother

23 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I still hope that at some point we get the William Monahan and John Sayles's script.  I've read it and it is fucking bonkers and think it would totally work on a smaller scale.  

Sayles wrote a Jurassic World script?

44 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

If it was a presidential election and TG2 being over 68% of DSitMoM meant RED and less than 68% meant BLUE, this would how it look

KvOOm.png

Huge electoral college gap :ohmygod:

Just watched the original Top Gun for the first time in years. I have to admit, this might be one of those rare instances where the sequel is so good that it makes the original BETTER, because of fond memories of the sequel :lol:

It's like the opposite of Legacy Sequels coasting off of goodwill from their iconic originals; the iconic original is coasting off of the goodwill from the Legacy Sequel. Not sure I've ever had that happen before, yet here we are. 

• Like 1