Eric is Anxious

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Yeah, no thanks.

I'll prefer what Colin Treverow has given us, this is ridiculous.

Nah, it would have been awesome.  He basically wrote a Dirty Dozen film with genetically modified Raptors as the Dirty Dozen hit squad.  It was fucking great.  

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 2

11 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

We already have several locked Best Picture nominees. We have The Batman, Everything Everywhere All At Once, and now Top Gun: Maverick. We did it guys. Blockbuster oscars is coming.

give RRR a few nominations and see viewership shoot.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

7 hours ago, Eric Belcher said:

Second weekend has Lightyear taking up all its PLFs. Pretty much every movie sinks like a rock on its second weekend because its PLFs are swallowed up by the next big movie, and even if it gets late legs, it can still be hard to maintain a good multiple in the end. Said this before, but theaters really need to find a way to get like 2-3 IMAX auditoriums, 2-3 Dolbys, 2-3 4DXs, etc. in their establishements, because PLFs are the only things people are willing to go to these days.

I have been screaming this same thing since last summer!  Theaters are not "dying", but the gap between the standard theatrical experience and home viewing has shrunk, but not between home and quality PLF has not, so that's where the demand is skewing, and there is insufficient supply to meet it. Every major location should have 25% of its screens be PLF (and 3D doesn't count).

But there are roadblocks. For one, I don't think IMAX currently permits multiple screens per location. And if they were to change it, upgrading existing auditoriums is going to take a lot of capital, from an industry that basically lost a year's worth of revenue, and then has seen weaker numbers for the year after. For it to happen, it will probably take some investment from the studio side, either cost sharing like was done for the conversion to digital projection, or perhaps some distributor (ie Disney) creates their on PLF format and contributes to upgrades, but with much greater control over what content shows in such auditoriums.

And with all of that said, the sad reality is that not every location is going to make the cut, have sufficient business to justify the investment to convert to PLF, and their days may be numbered

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Yeah, no thanks.

I'll prefer what Colin Treverow has given us, this is ridiculous.

This is not Sayles' version, this is the earliest Joe Johnston's version from 2002, it was rejected as soon as Spielberg saw it.

8 minutes ago, M37 said:

I have been screaming this same thing since last summer!  Theaters are not "dying", but the gap between the standard theatrical experience and home viewing has shrunk, but not between home and quality PLF has not, so that's where the demand is skewing, and there is insufficient supply to meet it. Every major location should have 25% of its screens be PLF (and 3D doesn't count).

But there are roadblocks. For one, I don't think IMAX currently permits multiple screens per location. And if they were to change it, upgrading existing auditoriums is going to take a lot of capital, from an industry that basically lost a year's worth of revenue, and then has seen weaker numbers for the year after. For it to happen, it will probably take some investment from the studio side, either cost sharing like was done for the conversion to digital projection, or perhaps some distributor (ie Disney) creates their on PLF format and contributes to upgrades, but with much greater control over what content shows in such auditoriums.

And with all of that said, the sad reality is that not every location is going to make the cut, have sufficient business to justify the investment to convert to PLF, and their days may be numbered

Thats the kind of future i think many (including me sadly) see for theaters in general: It will become more and more exclusive and PLF-orientated, because "normal" theaters arent that special more anymore when it comes to a cinematic experience; many home theater set-ups come very close to it, but they could never come close to an IMAX screen.

With a more big format-specialized theater landscape, a lot of theaters, especially smaller locations, will shut down over time. Prices for tickets will skyrocket and the focus will be even more skewed to high-profile event movies with small and mid-budget films slowly dying out.

How long this process will take i have no idea, hopefully we have a few more decades until thats reality. But i do believe that is where we're heading.

8 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I think I am about to officially board the "Top Gun: Maverick is going to suck a lot of the wind out of Jurassic Wold: Dominion's sales (pun intended)".  

Don't get me wrong, I think it will still open huge and do fine, but all reports are that the movie isn't good.  It isn't terrible either, but essentially a misfire mixed in with this is the last one and we brought back the original cast nostalgia.  

The next 10 days, the most important leading up to the opening, are going to be dominated by Tom Cruise and Top Gun: Maverick and a lot of the walk up business will shift.  

The lesson for Universal and Jurassic going forward is that people want to see the mayhem actually happen at a "functioning" park and not out in the world.  The two entries that truly did great and blew up both took place at the park while it was somewhat up and running.  

When they re-boot this again next time, they are going to have to take it back to a park setting.  

Yeah, unfortunately I think I agree with this take, though for slightly different reasons. While I expect the audience demographics to be VERY different, there will be some overlap in terms of casual/infrequent movie-goers, which help propel non-CBMs to exceed their tracking, and are part of the pool from where WOM help draw in new viewers. But by definition, these are people who aren't likely to venture out to the theater twice in 2-3 weeks ... and TG2 is going to get their attention and $$$ first

12 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Thats the kind of future i think many (including me sadly) see for theaters in general: It will become more and more exclusive and PLF-orientated, because "normal" theaters arent that special more anymore when it comes to a cinematic experience; many home theater set-ups come very close to it, but they could never come close to an IMAX screen.

With a more big format-specialized theater landscape, a lot of theaters, especially smaller locations, will shut down over time. Prices for tickets will skyrocket and the focus will be even more skewed to high-profile event movies with small and mid-budget films slowly dying out.

How long this process will take i have no idea, hopefully we have a few more decades until thats reality. But i do believe that is where we're heading.

I don't think it will take a single decade, much less several: the forced separation of the pandemic accelerated the timeline of this inevitable transition. While the bigger film grosses are comparable to pre-pandemic levels, there's a whole lot of ticket price increase baked into that. The overall admission rate at present isn't sufficient to justify holding steady under the old model, and while you can argue its lack of product, there's been enough weak openings in certain genres to demonstrate that demand is just softer

So you have to make more revenue from a smaller pool, including upgrading to PLFs and probably more of the specialty/restaurant style menus, which unfortunately means pricing some people out

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

Yeah, unfortunately I think I agree with this take, though for slightly different reasons. While I expect the audience demographics to be VERY different, there will be some overlap in terms of casual/infrequent movie-goers, which help propel non-CBMs to exceed their tracking, and are part of the pool from where WOM help draw in new viewers. But by definition, these are people who aren't likely to venture out to the theater twice in 2-3 weeks ... and TG2 is going to get their attention and $$$ first

June from 2019 and 2018 grossed about $1.2bn in average. Assuming we lost one third of the revenue to shorter window and this will give us 800m. Even if TGM grab 200m of the revenue share, we still have 600m up in the air to support multiple big grosser from JWD to lightyear. 

I think people need to remember we still have some distance away from optimal level of the box office. May number is still 20% lower from pre-pandemic level and April down about 30% from pre-pandemic. 

Competition shouldn’t be big factor now since there are plenty of cake for studio to grab. I hope June can gross as much as $1bn box office.

30 minutes ago, M37 said:

My local cineplex hasn't done anything since they brought in 3D for Avatar. And this is basically the state of most theaters in Canada. Unless you live in one of a dozen cities, you'll never see anything but standard or 3D screens. I haven't been to a theater in 5+ years. Even with TGM and the hype, I just can't see myself going and squeezing into those crappy, cramped, uncomfortable seats, and staring at a small screen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

June from 2019 and 2018 grossed about $1.2bn in average. Assuming we lost one third of the revenue to shorter window and this will give us 800m. Even if TGM grab 200m of the revenue share, we still have 600m up in the air to support multiple big grosser from JWD to lightyear. 

I think people need to remember we still have some distance away from optimal level of the box office. May number is still 20% lower from pre-pandemic level and April down about 30% from pre-pandemic. 

Competition shouldn’t be big factor now since there are plenty of cake for studio to grab. I hope June can gross as much as $1bn box office.

But this is the problem in looking at grosses and not admissions - the latter is down far more than grosses suggest, being masked by a huge increase in ticket prices 

The audience pool is just smaller, and for some, TG2 is going to scratch that itch - or even take up the monthly budget for movies - before JWD and others even hit the screen 

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

But this is the problem in looking at grosses and not admissions - the latter is down far more than grosses suggest, being masked by a huge increase in ticket prices 

The audience pool is just smaller, and for some, TG2 is going to scratch that itch - or even take up the monthly budget for movies - before JWD and others even hit the screen 

Dominion and Lightyear could cannibalize each other when it comes to family audiences in that case.

I'm definitely going to see Jurassic World but I honestly can't say I'm particularly excited for it. Just seems like they've taken the premise about as far as it can go unless they really go all in on the silliness like time travel or going to space.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm definitely going to see Jurassic World but I honestly can't say I'm particularly excited for it. Just seems like they've taken the premise about as far as it can go unless they really go all in on the silliness like time travel or going to space.

First Trilogy: Jurassic Park

Second Trilogy: Jurassic World
Third trilogy: Jurassic Universe
Fourth trilogy: Jurassic Multiverse

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

The lesson for Universal and Jurassic going forward is that people want to see the mayhem actually happen at a "functioning" park and not out in the world.  The two entries that truly did great and blew up both took place at the park while it was somewhat up and running.  

When they re-boot this again next time, they are going to have to take it back to a park setting.  

Yeh I was thinking this last night. In prep for the new one I’m only watching Jurassic Park and Jurassic World again.

Jurassic World broke out so much because the theme park was functioning. 

Sad to hear that the new film might not be great. Booked tickets last night, hoping for the best. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

First Trilogy: Jurassic Park

Second Trilogy: Jurassic World
Third trilogy: Jurassic Universe
Fourth trilogy: Jurassic Multiverse

Fifth trilogy: Jurassic Barney

Barney Trex GIF - Barney Trex Dinosaur - Discover & Share GIFs

20 minutes ago, M37 said:

That is why expanding the audience pool is more important than ever. We can’t just rely on the same pool of moviegoers to keep squeezing their wallet. The base need to be expanded. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I was thinking this last night. In prep for the new one I’m only watching Jurassic Park and Jurassic World again.

Jurassic World broke out so much because the theme park was functioning. 

Sad to hear that the new film might not be great. Booked tickets last night, hoping for the best. 

Yeah at this point im also just hoping to like the movie

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

3 of these states are the among the eight most Republican states in the country based on the last presidential election (Wyoming, Idaho and Montana).

Whereas Vermont is the most Democratic leaning state in entire country even though it is >95% White. Whites in Vermont are politically almost opposite of Whites in Wyoming, Idaho, Montana etc. New England Whites are the most liberal Whites in the country

• Like 1