Eric Duncan

Thunderbolts* | May 2, 2025 | MCU

7 hours ago, thajdikt said:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/marvels-thunderbolts-lee-sung-jin-co-writer-beef-steven-yeun-1235567387/

"Lee Sung Jin, creator and showrunner of Netflix’s “Beef,” is joining Marvel’s upcoming “Thunderbolts” as the new writer. Lee is stepping in for Eric Pearson (“Black Widow”), who was the first announced writer on the project.

Lee has previously written for “Tuca & Bertie,” “Dave” and “Silicon Valley.” “Thunderbolts” will be his first writing credit on a produced feature film.

The gig is a reunion with “Beef” director Jake Schreier, who is directing the Marvel movie, and costar Steven Yeun, a member of the film’s sprawling ensemble cast"

Kinda bummed out to be honest. I like Pearson work in the MCU (BW and Ragnarok) and it´s quite worrying that a new writer is stepping in when production is about to start in two months but it´s what the MCU always does and sometimes it works other times it don´t. 

For me it’s not a problem that they have some one re-writing the movie 2 months out from production start, after all, they often rewrite  these movies while on set and even during reshoots. What bothers me is this person has never written a feature film before. It says a lot when marvel is skipping c and d list writers and heading straight for unexperienced z listers. They haven’t learned their lesson from their past few films clearly.

9 hours ago, eddyxx said:

For me it’s not a problem that they have some one re-writing the movie 2 months out from production start, after all, they often rewrite  these movies while on set and even during reshoots. What bothers me is this person has never written a feature film before. It says a lot when marvel is skipping c and d list writers and heading straight for unexperienced z listers. They haven’t learned their lesson from their past few films clearly.

These films are like oversized episodes of a never ending show anyway. I don't see the problem with hiring TV writers. What matters is which TV writers they are hiring. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

These films are like oversized episodes of a never ending show anyway. I don't see the problem with hiring TV writers. What matters is which TV writers they are hiring. 

Yeah, I’m more optimistic on this guy compared to Waldron or even Loveness as despite the latter doing comics, Jin has had experience showrunning and producing with Beef having strong buzz, as well as having worked with the director and Yuen before. 

On 3/31/2023 at 4:39 PM, thajdikt said:

This also adds up with Feige saying Bucky is the leader suddenly in Feb 

I don't really see how it was sudden, he was leader for the team for a while in the comics.

Having now seen Beef, I now get why Marvel pulled in so many of that crew for this. Absolutely excellent series.

• Like 1

Good. I can´t even fathom how bad a MCU movie that´s not allowed to do rewrites on set is. I love the franchise but we all know that they don´t have scripts ready to go and is probably the company that does most rewrites/reshoots. This was a disaster waiting to happen. Also I would assume that this helps the writers case even more when these major productions gets shut down. 

Good chance we only get two MCU movies next year (Captain America and Deadpool 3) with this and Blade hitting the brakes. Probably some release date changes at Comic-Con in July if it happens (depends on if the strike is over by then and if it becomes another picket line casualty).

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Good chance we only get two MCU movies next year (Captain America and Deadpool 3) with this and Blade hitting the brakes. Probably some release date changes at Comic-Con in July if it happens (depends on if the strike is over by then and if it becomes another picket line casualty).

Honestly giving how crowded November is, I wouldn´t be surprised if The Marvels gets pushed to 2024 especially now with Blade and this one is most likely not releasing next year. But yeah Comic-Con will probably give a big update on the landscape.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Good. I can´t even fathom how bad a MCU movie that´s not allowed to do rewrites on set is. I love the franchise but we all know that they don´t have scripts ready to go and is probably the company that does most rewrites/reshoots. This was a disaster waiting to happen. Also I would assume that this helps the writers case even more when these major productions gets shut down. 

i think all studios already planned for this , June and July production will be halted, but i can't see a strike going past August, but all these delays will cause major headaches with scheduling

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

6 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Honestly giving how crowded November is, I wouldn´t be surprised if The Marvels gets pushed to 2024 especially now with Blade and this one is most likely not releasing next year. But yeah Comic-Con will probably give a big update on the landscape.

I doubt it, it's already been promoted for a while and it should be close to finished (+ has already gone through 1.5 years worth of release date changes). They won't sit on a film that will definitely be ready for release in a few months that much longer.

If anything, I imagine Disney will just move Lion King 2 back three weeks to the date for this (or to the 19th, same day the first came out, to bully Twisters into moving).

• Like 4

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

I refuse to believe a movie like Deadpool can be made without writers. I think Marvel will wait for as long as they can before announcing its getting delayed.

Wouldn't be shocked if The Marvels gets pushed into 2024 just to compensate.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

I refuse to believe a movie like Deadpool can be made without writers

Probably because it isn't, it has had writers attached for a long while. It has a finished script and doesn't have to worry about picketing. That's why it and Cap 4 are still filming

3 hours ago, AJG said:

I refuse to believe a movie like Deadpool can be made without writers. I think Marvel will wait for as long as they can before announcing its getting delayed.

Wouldn't be shocked if The Marvels gets pushed into 2024 just to compensate.

It's already in production in London with the cast finalized before the strike so clearly it's been ready to go for a while. It isn't set to come out for another 18 months anyway (and the strike will be long over by then) so they have plenty of time to tweak it if need be.