IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune first 2024 blockbuster (3mil admissions)

On 12.1.2016 at 10:09 PM, Aristis said:

Should be the biggest re-release by far

Yes, that number is truly unreal. The 1979 re-release beats every single first-run between 1973 and 1989. The Rescuers does top it with 9.8 million admissions, but that includes re-releases. It was only when Pretty Woman made it past 10 million in 1990 that this streak ended.

If I'm not mistaken, Jungle Book holds the biggest, second biggest and fourth biggest re-release, not counting any movies that came prior to 1966, whose data isn't available.

It should go something like this:

Jungle Book 1979 9.1 million

Jungle Book 1987 5.43 million

Aristocats 1980 4.44 million

Jungle Book 1993 4.17 million

Robin Hood 1982 2.2 million

Star Wars SE 1997 2.19 million

The Rescuers 1984 1.54 million

Apart from Star Wars, the whole lists pretty amounts to "movies that Wolfgang Reitherman has directed" ;)

Actually, there is one further exception, the French movie La Grande Vadrouille. It was first released in 1967 as "Drei Bruchpiloten in Paris", with about 500k admissions, and then again as "Die große Sause" in 1974, this time reaching another 3.3 million. This should put it 5th on the list of biggest re-releases.

• Like 1

For me the three Reitherman movies Aristocats, Jungle Book and Rescuers (Robin Hood, not so much) always defined what I'd call the second Golden Age of Disney cartoons - maybe with 101 Dalmatians thrown in (where Reitherman was already co-directing). There was a quality and levity there, in animation as well as storytelling, that few other family films ever reached. Not even The Lion King imho; even if the music was excellent.

Looking at the title over the last three weeks here, one would get the impression that SW7 has crumbled. Every movie drops.

The fact is that SW7 will easily get over a multiplier of 4 even with a huge opening and is on the verge of crossing $100M.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jb007 said:

Looking at the title over the last three weeks here, one would get the impression that SW7 has crumbled. Every movie drops.

The fact is that SW7 will easily get over a multiplier of 4 even with a huge opening and is on the verge of crossing $100M.  

you have to look at the opening date ... a 4x multiplier from pre-xmas releases is nearly a given. Even Hobbit3 got close to 5x. LotR films got >6 multipliers. Still, SW7 wins the 2015 crown, so not bad at all - just not as good as many were hoping for.

Edited by IndustriousAngel

5 hours ago, IndustriousAngel said:

you have to look at the opening date ... a 4x multiplier from pre-xmas releases is nearly a given. Even Hobbit3 got close to 5x. LotR films got >6 multipliers. Still, SW7 wins the 2015 crown, so not bad at all - just not as good as many were hoping for.

Expectations are different. When operating at this level, one cannot be disappointed. If TFA does not reach $1 Bil in the US or $200M in the UK, it would be ridiculous to be disappointed.

Personally, I'm thrilled with TFA's performance here.  :)

And here come the Thursday estimates via insidekino.de (forum):

Holdovers:

The Revenant: 49k admissions (could win this weekend, 150 theaters added, actuals last week were 55k)
Star Wars: 25k
Ich bin dann mal weg: 11k
The Danish Girl: 6k (very good hold)
Legend: 4k
Unfriend: 3k

New releases:

Creed: 18k
The Big Short: 8.5k

Die 5. Welle: 7.5k (as a wide release!)
Gut Zu Vögeln: 5k
Die Dunkle Seite des Mondes: 3k

When I read these numbers I was very disappointed but members say that this is a good opening at least for Creed and The Big Short. So let's see. And I have no idea what is possible with the help of WOM and the Oscar nominations. But I have not much hope for the rest of the new releases.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, el sid said:

And here come the Thursday estimates via insidekino.de (forum):

Holdovers:

The Revenant: 49k admissions (could win this weekend, 150 theaters added, actuals last week were 55k)
Star Wars: 25k
Ich bin dann mal weg: 11k
The Danish Girl: 6k (very good hold)
Legend: 4k
Unfriend: 3k

New releases:

Creed: 18k
The Big Short: 8.5k

Die 5. Welle: 7.5k (as a wide release!)
Gut Zu Vögeln: 5k
Die Dunkle Seite des Mondes: 3k

When I read these numbers I was very disappointed but members say that this is a good opening at least for Creed and The Big Short. So let's see. And I have no idea what is possible with the help of WOM and the Oscar nominations. But I have not much hope for the rest of the new releases.

Well, with those numbers, Revenant will win the weekend by a margin - cool (also, better expansion than I hoped, plus it's got more shows on the screens it already had - last week Revenant had exactly 1 show per day in my theater). I never expected much from Big Short (not a theme for Germany) but Creed is worse than I expected, Stallone and Rocky are household names, should do better. Backloaded or not, 5th wave is a complete disaster (it's the widest of the openings, the PTA will be embarassing)

On 15/1/2016 at 9:01 AM, IndustriousAngel said:

first trend is online at insidekino:

#1: Revenant - 375k admissions (-2% - hmm, had hoped for an increase)

#2: SW7 - 350k (-40%; crosses 8mil!)

#3: Creed - 175k (not bad but again I was hoping for a bit more)

#4: ibdmw - 125k (-40%)

seems to become a rather soft weekend overall :mellow:

Second Trend:

#1: Revenant - 425k admissions 

#2: SW7 - 325k 

#3: Creed - 175k 

#4: ibdmw - 115k

The 5th Wave-115k

The Big Short-105k

• Like 4