EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

12 minutes ago, cookie said:

Minions breaking out would be depressing, tbh

Not really, I’m cool with any animation doing 200m domestic even though I despise Illumination. A win is needed.

Also makes a Bad Guys 100m fudge more likely.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Regardless, I think the narrative of its underwhelming performance and audience apathy/confusion has too many thinking the film isn’t good. Far from it in my opinion, it is good. Great in moments. Once people get over what it isn’t they might realise it’s actually a solid, interesting piece of work.  

Definitely agree with you here. It's certainly nothing amazing but it's solid and fun. The poster that compared some of the tone and ideas to Moon and Ad Astra was surprisingly on the money. Certainly not as good either but refreshing to see those kinds of ideas juggled. The misfits he's teamed with not named Sox and Izzy are pretty irritating and completely one note so I get those complaints. The animation is consistently spectacular... It looked especially great in Dolby but wish I'd seen it in IMAX. It's just an old fashioned space adventure really that happily juggles some big sci-fi ideas that maybe it doesn't really follow through with as well it should for sure but it's fun to see them. It was an excuse to make their first sci-fi flick since WALL-E rather than something that felt remotely like a Toy Story movie. Personally, while I love Toy Story and it's sequels, it was nice that this was completely different than those flicks.

• Like 1

No, Disney should not be “conciliatory” to people who can’t deal with two dudes or two women kissing. 
Putting gay characters in more stories is reasonable and good. It’s unfortunate we are not to a point where that is universally understood. 

Edited by Mr Terrific
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Mr Terrific said:

No, Disney should not be “conciliatory” to people who are can’t deal with two dudes or two women kissing. 
Putting gay characters in more stories is reasonable and good. It’s unfortunate we are not to a point where that is universally understood. 

Out of likes but so much this

bless.gif

• Thanks 2

Just now, Mr Terrific said:

No, Disney should not be “conciliatory” to people who are can’t deal with two dudes or two women kissing. 

Notice, I didn't say they should change the movies - I said they should change their tone and marketing and overal corporate stance/image.  If you're in fully combative, "damn it I'm right" mode, people get their hackles up and hope you fail.  If you're conciliatory and "it's okay if you can't join us yet", you get people to feel for you and possibly join you.

It's just like posting here...confrontational posts at people don't get support from other posters - supportive ones do.  It's the way people are wired.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mr Terrific said:

It's absolutely a blip in Lightyear too. But, can't say I'm surprised that certain folks are making a big stink about it... I'd have thought those same goofs - maybe they did and I missed it? - would've been more put off by what's alluded to with teen characters in Turning Red and Luca. If they wanted to, they could read way into situations in those two and go on their moronic tirades there too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Doubt it tbh, it actually dropped slightly in yesterday's Long Range forecast. In fact I don't think any of this summer's animated movies are gonna be the genre's One True Hope for bringing back massive box office grosses: Minions/Despicable Me feels like a "diminishing returns" franchise from here on out, Paws of Fury looks cheap, and Super-Pets...meh.

The Black Phone also dropped in the forecast even though it seems the most likely for a breakout. I am seeing it on Tuesday so we'll see if wom is good

Edited by Alex SciChannel

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Notice, I didn't say they should change the movies - I said they should change their tone and marketing and overal corporate stance/image.  If you're in fully combative, "damn it I'm right" mode, people get their hackles up and hope you fail.  If you're conciliatory and "it's okay if you can't join us yet", you get people to feel for you and possibly join you.

It's just like posting here...confrontational posts at people don't get support from other posters - supportive ones do.  It's the way people are wired.

To me, you are doing Al Campanis saying black baseball coaches may not have the necessities. To me, you are Tony Dungy saying you don’t have a problem with Michael Sam being gay, but he may cause a distraction to his teammates. 
There’s being kind to someone who disagrees with you and there’s altering reality so bigots get most of the space. 
If Chris Evans wants to call stuff out, good for him. 
In my job, I sometimes meet with gay and trans kids who are more likely to kill themselves because they have bigoted parents. I think every inch that can be taken for them is worth it. 

• Like 11
  • ...wtf 2

7 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

The Black Phone also dropped in the forecast even though it seems the most likely for a breakout. I am seeing it on Tuesday so we'll see if wom is good

I thought The Black Phone would pull a surprise for a while since it's the first horror movie (that wasn't niche in appeal) since Scream but it just hasn't caught on in a way that would indicate such. Should still have a good run though.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I thought The Black Phone would pull a surprise for a while since it's the first horror movie (that wasn't niche in appeal) since Scream but it just hasn't caught on in a way that would indicate such. Should still have a good run though.

It's a walk up based film. We'll see what the experts say. I still am confident in a $20M opening at this rate unless its Thursday previews are 20% below Candyman.

I'm also going to come out and say that, in a world still feeling the effects of the recent Uvalde shooting, The Black Phone will also disappoint. It'll likely open to the mid-teens at best, not the $25M+ some people are hoping for. Not that anyone involved in that film will mind since it has a tiny $18M budget.

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah... Hope Black Phone breaks out but not feeling much interest in it. Hope I'm wrong. Seems like people that saw it are liking it a good deal.

Kinda feels like the marketing for it just kinda dropped off the face of the Earth. Used to get that trailer a fair amount, but I'm not getting it in front of anything anymore.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm also going to come out and say that, in a world still feeling the effects of the recent Uvalde shooting, The Black Phone will also disappoint. It'll likely open to the mid-teens at best, not the $25M+ some people are hoping for. Not that anyone involved in that film will mind since it has a tiny $18M budget.

I want to ask, what connection between the events and this film is being made here? I highly doubt horror geeks won't come out to see this, nor will the GP from seeing all the positive word of mouth for it so early in advance.

Disney+ is the problem here. No more, no less. 

if Minions was on Disney+ it would open to less than it will in a couple of weeks. 

“I’ll just wait for streaming” is a thing now for a studio that has a family subscriber base now used to a month and a half wait.

Where as nobody says “I’ll just wait for PVOD at $20”, hence why other animated movies haven’t been hit by that window so soon after theatrical release. 

like @EmpireCity has repeatedly said, Disney have damaged the brand quite a bit with this Disney+ stance, and I think Lightyear’s middling start highlights that better than anything. People can talk about the ‘politics’ within the film, or that Buzz isn’t like the Buzz in Toy Story all they want. But if you’re a family with a bunch of kids and you know/expect to see the movie for nothing in seven weeks then you might well wait.  Who can blame them? It’s not totally about not wanting to see the movie. 

I’m of the generation that thought of a Disney film as special. Owning it on video as a kid was a big deal because it would go back into the vault for seven years. This all you can eat for the price of a burger per month will have an impact on new releases that are thrown on the service so quickly. 

They need to rework their strategy in my opinion as there’s no chance they can afford to give up the revenue theatrical can bring.  

On the Minions front, I hope that movie does great. The thought of kids laughing their heads off in a packed theatre is what it’s all about. Those are the kinds of experiences that bring people back again and again. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Kinda feels like the marketing for it just kinda dropped off the face of the Earth. Used to get that trailer a fair amount, but I'm not getting it in front of anything anymore.

As BadOlCat alluded to above, the marketing was likely scaled back in light of recent events. Not great timing for a child in jeopardy thriller. I got a 30 second trailer before Jurassic World last week that highlighted the Rotten Tomatoes score while revealing nothing about the plot. 

25 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's absolutely a blip in Lightyear too. But, can't say I'm surprised that certain folks are making a big stink about it... I'd have thought those same goofs - maybe they did and I missed it? - would've been more put off by what's alluded to with teen characters in Turning Red and Luca. If they wanted to, they could read way into situations in those two and go on their moronic tirades there too.

That's par for the course.  In early 2008, Fox News did a piece on Mass Effect where they called it "Debbie Does Dallas in Space."  Meanwhile, before ME even came out, we had two different God of War games where there are just tits everywhere and even a minigame where you gotta rotate the stick in time with the moaning and thumping until you finish.

But the game where you can actually miss the NYPD Blue sex scenes was the REAL threat!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

As BadOlCat alluded to above, the marketing was likely scaled back in light of recent events. Not great timing for a child in jeopardy thriller. I got a 30 second trailer before Jurassic World last week that highlighted the Rotten Tomatoes score while revealing nothing about the plot. 

Weirdly I just got that same 30 second ad behind a YouTube video highlighting the RT score minutes after reading this

Edited by Alex SciChannel