EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

My fear is that Disney will blame the movie's underperformance on its LGBTQ content, at least in the sense that they'll claim audiences stayed away from it for that reason. Even if Lightyear doesn't outright bomb, we still might not see any  further queer main character in Disney animated movies for a long time. 

1 hour ago, jimisawesome said:

This.  Disney has been using promotion via twitter culture war for a while now and I dont understand the point.  A dude with 4 followers has half the culture warriors doing tweet storms over a dumb star wars take.  And this is the pattern stories hit the fan/entertainment media sites about how awful people are to their proprieties and the examples they find are all brand new accounts with low followers time after time and for those that are going to ask for examples the Red Panda review and the new star wars D+ show.  Who exactly is making the decision to go owe wow people are A holes and being mean about Marvel movie X so I must go see it to support it?

Well, theres quite a few youtubers with millions of followers where all they do is bitch about whatever they perceive as "wokeness" in the latest media, its their business model.  I'm willing to bet at least some of those people sending Moses Ingram racist shit online are regular viewers of channels like Geeks & Gamers.

And man, while I've always appreciated OG Star Wars, I'm glad I never became a huge Star Wars fan because that franchise hasn't just been creatively out of gas since the 90s, but its sooo corporatized now and increasingly becoming ground zero for culture wars and annoying twittershit.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

Any early projections for Saturday? Really interested to see what Top Gun is going into Father’s Day with

@EmpireCity mentioned a few hours ago 17M for TG2 and 20-21M for JW3, I think.

• Thanks 1

The fact Disney didn't take advantage of the synergy of also releasing the Buzz Lightyear cartoon on Disney+ this weekend is sad. Don't tell me they can't do it. They have it in the vault and Lasseter is gone.

Lightyear feels like Disney's first big Oops since John Carter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

FVTxiZpXoAEg-Vs.jpg:large

if Andy took all his toys to watch the movie then how are they surprised who Buzz Lightyear is in the first Toy Story movie? Also, who brings all their toys to a movie? Where are his friends and family? Poor kid has problems 

Funny how those Aliens squeak toys are also watching the movie when they were saved by Potato Head in Toy Story 2.

23 minutes ago, Felandria said:

I’m just amused by all the people whining about Tim Allen not playing Buzz when Tim Allen himself hasn’t really complained.

?

Everyones complaining because Tim Allen's Buzz is an amazing and iconic va performance

not everything has to be centered around cuture war shenanigans, sometimes better is just better

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The absence of Tim Allen isn't really the issue. The issue is that this movie stars an in-name-only version of the Buzz Lightyear we've come to know and love. The whole point of the character is that he's a kitschy but egotistical 90s action figure who's naively ignorant of the fact he's nothing but a toy. 

The character they have in the movie isn't bad, but I can see why a lot of people don't really see him as Buzz Lightyear. Lightyear is trying to sell itself as "the character behind the toy", but that's easier said than done when you consider that Buzz Lightyear, the character, didn't exist before Toy Story and as such was introduced in the context of the toy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Top Gun is kicking our ass tonight. Quadrupling Lightyear, nearly double JW.

Final showing at my theater tonight has Top Gun running even with the combined sales of LY and JW despite only holding one of the five screens. 

Edited by A Star is Orm
typo
  • Like 3