EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

10 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Crawdads is to middle-aged moms what Top Gun was to middle-aged dads. Easy billion, you heard it here first

It's certainly one of the more potentially intriguing runs of the summer, given the unpredictable nature of book adaptations. I'm thinking a run much closer to The Girl on the Train (which would be a very solid result for a drama with no star power) than to Gone Girl.

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ummmm, I'm not really there with you on that...1B WW for Crawdads would be a bigger shock this year than TGM's run by a mile...like that number is not even in my "possible" category for that movie...

Reese Witherspoon's lawyers have informed me that I'm legally obligated to admit I was joking

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

@EmpireCity is ofc better informed about industry rumours, but i really do hope that studios wont see Lightyears soft opening as proof of lacking demand for animated movies in theaters. I know theres tons of good arguments to be had that a big part of the audience is lost to streaming, but as with all movies that break out, an animated one imo can still do it as well as any Live-Action film. The movies just need to be fresh and creative.

Pixar has done a lot of such movies for nearly three decades now. Walt Disney Animation/DreamWorks/Sony Animation they all can as well. They just need to try a little harder than making a Toy Story spin-off about the astronaut who inspired the toy. Whenever Shrek 5 is announced for example, i doubt that many people would want to wait for streaming for that.

Minions breaking out would certainly be an easy refute to those concerns (I'm personally pulling for Marcel but I know I have to be at least a little realistic). Either way have to imagine pressure will be on Pixar's future slate now to be really really successful in order to keep the resources they have.

33 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

$15.65M Saturday according to the-numbers. Friday updated to $11.05M

$17.3m Sunday (+11% and just 1% below last Sunday) - 2nd best 4th weekend ever - beating TFA's fourth Weekend ($42.35m) just below Avatar's 4th weekend of $50.31m (but thanks to Father's Day TG2 had a higher Sunday).

Probably the best placing it will get on any weekends:

OWend: 

2nd: 8th

3rd: 10th

4th: 2nd (44m)

5th: 2nd-6th (25-35m)

6th: 4t-5th (20m-25m)

7th: 5th- (below 19m)

Maybe JWD can do something like 15.7m, 22m 22.3m (just so it gets a 60m weekend - I think Sunday will drop though)

And LY maybe:

5.2m

15.5m

15.2m

14m

For 49.9m.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

TITANIC vibes. Paramount's TOP GUN: MAVERICK continues to defy box office orders, dipping a scant -15% on its 4th mission w/ $44M, $466M total. This is how you land a sequel.

TG2 score the second highest 4th Weekend gross ever, only behind Avatar 4th weekend,super carzy run......

Top 4th Sundays of all time in history:

1. Top Gun: Maverick - 17.30M
2. Avatar - 15.76M
3. The Avengers - 12.96M
4. Black Panther - 12.44M
5. The Force Awakens - 12.41M
6. Jumanji: WTTJ - 10.05M
7. Spider-Man - 9.95M
8. Avengers: Endgame - 9.60M

9. Spider-Man: No Way Home - 9.49M

10. Avengers: Infinity War - 9.35M

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, longleo90 said:

Is it a disappointment? Is it possible to reach 1 billion?

If you mean Top Gun, i dont know if youre serious :apocalypse:

Top Gun is the exact opposite of a disappointment. And it will cross 1 Billion easily, maybe as early as next weekend. Real question worldwide has become if it reaches 1,2B or not.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ummmm, I'm not really there with you on that...1B WW for Crawdads would be a bigger shock this year than TGM's run by a mile...like that number is not even in my "possible" category for that movie...

They are joking.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Nếu bạn muốn nói là Top Gun, tôi không biết bạn có nghiêm túc không:tận thế:

Top Gun hoàn toàn trái ngược với một sự thất vọng. Và nó sẽ vượt qua 1 Tỷ một cách dễ dàng, có thể sớm nhất là vào cuối tuần tới. Câu hỏi thực sự trên toàn thế giới đã trở thành nếu nó đạt 1,2B hay không.

sr I am a new member, i am trying to understand everything, so there are things i am not clear. thank you

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, longleo90 said:

sr I am a new member, i am trying to understand everything, so there are things i am not clear. thank you

Welcome and can see that english is not the first language.  Ask away, always good to have new people interested in tracking the box office.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

@EmpireCity is ofc better informed about industry rumours, but i really do hope that studios wont see Lightyears soft opening as proof of lacking demand for animated movies in theaters. I know theres tons of good arguments to be had that a big part of the audience is lost to streaming, but as with all movies that break out, an animated one imo can still do it as well as any Live-Action film. The movies just need to be fresh and creative.

Pixar has done a lot of such movies for nearly three decades now. Walt Disney Animation/DreamWorks/Sony Animation they all can as well. They just need to try a little harder than making a Toy Story spin-off about the astronaut who inspired the toy. Whenever Shrek 5 is announced for example, i doubt that many people would want to wait for streaming for that.

It's kind of ironic that a movie with Buzz Lightyear was Pixar's first theatrical release and a Buzz Lightyear movie will be their last theatrical as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5