EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

29 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

and focus on doing another Inside Out/Coco instead. Personally I'd like to see Minions underperform as well, but I know it won't. 

Hopefully, that's what Elemental will be, assuming it gets a theatrical release. 

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

To counter the whole 'families don't want to watch movies in cinema anymore' narrative In the UK, Sonic 2, Sing 2 and The Bad Guys all did very solid numbers which proves that the theatrical window is still effective. I fully expect other family films like Minions 2 and Super-Pets will do well as well.

The Bad Guys was released for purchase and rental on digital services just over 17 days after release. It ain't that effective, one could argue had Universal not done that, Bad Guys would have made more. Bad Guys just got lucky that it was the only animated movie in the market.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

The Bad Guys was released for purchase and rental on digital services just over 17 days after release. It ain't that effective, Bad Guys just got lucky that it was the only animated movie in the market.

Being released on PVOD is different from a streaming service. I think there's still a stigma to renting a movie for $20

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Pixar's having problems after Coco, and it's not just because of Disney+. It's something behind the scenes. They just lack magic. Turning Red was fine, but Soul is actually kinda boring (and I was really looking forward to that because its concept is irresitable) and Luca, big hit on D+ it may be, was so low stakes that it was hard for me to get invested in anything going on. They're making solid films, but they're not making the big hitters they used to.

Yes, they are. 

Just because you didn´t like them, it doesn´t mean everyone feel this way. 

Soul / Luca / Red not only had great to excellent reviews, they´re all also gets insanely good reception from audiences as well. 

Soul was an all time record breaker on streaming, and it stayed on charts for months. Luca was literally the most watched movie of 2021 considering all streaming platforms, Turning Red is another globally record breaking movie on D+, and both Luca and Red have an insane staying power on Nielsen charts and excellent social media engagement. 

With the data we have, it´s fair to say audiences loved all the 3 original movies Pixar dropped in the past 16 months, so there´s no problem with audiences and Pixar, the problem is that everyone get used to see it on D+ for free, and now Lightyear is mega bomb probably because of some combo of factors. Everyone knows the movie will be on streaming for free in 30-45 days, it doesn´t look like it has a good enough hook overall for most people, there´s controversy surrounding it and the reception are low tier Pixar even if it´s still good. 

• Like 1

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

Being released on PVOD is different from a streaming service. I think there's still a stigma to renting a movie for $20

The difference here being it was also available for PURCHASE. Yeah, I balk at paying 20.00 for a rental, but I'd pay 29 dollars for unlimited viewing.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I would say my least favorite Pixar is Brave, but I don't even remember anything about Brave so maybe that's not fair. Incredibles 2 tho. Pretty bad imo

I watched Incredibles 1 and 2 back-to-back 2 or 3 months ago. It was actually insane how the quality dropped. Imo, Incredibles 2 is still an ok film, but next to the first one, it felt like i watched Trolls 2.

3 hours ago, Borobudur said:

The summer has more bad news than good news actually so far. Between DS2 garbage hold, JWD terrible review and meh opening, and now LY bomb, TGM is the sole great story we have. Which movie can be the next good news for moviegoing beside Thor 4? 

Lol

• Like 1

Normally I would say a 10% Sunday bump is too aggressive of an estimate, but in this case... Sounds like from earlier in the thread there's even a chance it's underestimated. 

Man of Steel held even on Sunday and then dropped 65% for Monday. Jurassic World dropped 2% and then 70% for Monday. Solo bumped 9% and then dropped 72% Monday.  

A 10% bump today could mean more of a Monday drop than man of steel, but this being at half the level of mos I think gives it much more leeway. $5m would be a 71% drop from 17.3 but also down just 25% from last monday.

Edited by MattW

1 minute ago, Eric Lightyear said:

I do kinda miss the commentary in Incredibles 2, but from a comedy and especially character standpoint, I think it holds up really well with the first. Plus the setpieces are just god tier stuff

Jack Jack vs the Raccoon might be the hardest I've laughed in a theater the last 5 years

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

It's early, but let's be safe and go with $18m for TG2 as of now.  

Quite frankly, a lot of theater bookers didn't plan well enough for TG2 on Father's Day.  The only thing holding it back from even higher numbers is lack of seats.  

Cinemark has it stuck in medium sized theaters today.  Idiots.  Same thing for a number of other chains.  

That's still strong for TGM. If that holds, $18M for a 4th Sunday is awesome.

Edited by LegendaryBen

1 hour ago, Eric Lightyear said:

Because Disney+ is more convenient and people prefer watching movies at home. Plus also these days the only things audiences want to go out to see are nostalgic toy commercials. Strange World and Elemental may be toy commercials, but they don’t have the nostalgia value. Sad but true!

Lol.

3 hours ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

Good data, though I know EntTelligence (according to Charlie at least) overestimates average prices. I also noticed at my AMC that the price I paid for MOM 2D IMAX (Thursday, 7PM) was 23% higher than the exact same showing for Endgame. 

Makes you wonder how impressive some recent performances really are? I'm curious if NWH actually surpassed SM1 in ticket sales (DOM). 

as long as tpi was higher than 17% im pretty confident in saying that SM1 is infront by like a million tickets

8 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I watched Incredibles 1 and 2 back-to-back 2 or 3 months ago. It was actually insane how the quality dropped. Imo, Incredibles 2 is still an ok film, but next to the first one, it felt like i watched Trolls 2.

the first half is great, but once those other superheroes show up it definitely takes a backward step. 

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Jack Jack vs the Raccoon might be the hardest I've laughed in a theater the last 5 years

I’d have said the same up until I watched the news report that opened a certain $200 million mega blockbuster last week. 

I had to laugh as I’d only have cried otherwise.