EmpireCity

Weekly Thread 6/27-6/20

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Chapek staying is another proof studios really wanna go all in on streaming and forget the theatrical business, which sucks.

I thought we were promised by “insider” that chapek will be gone for sure? I guess blind optimism can only lead to blindness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Chapek staying is another proof studios really wanna go all in on streaming and forget the theatrical business, which sucks.

lol what

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Theaters are not going anywhere, theaters have their own charm and experience, some flavor of the season streaming apps aren't going to challenge that.

But that's not too say that Streaming it's not an alternative, Infact certain kind of movies could very well be affected, but overall scenario, theaters will rule as they've always done.

Will studios ever realize that streaming content (at least for films) just has zero staying power? Whoever recently compared it to direct-to-video was on the money. To achieve true cultural penetration/longevity in public consciousness films are still reliant on theatrical release model.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The numbers got a bit screwey today....

$5.25m for Elvis

$4.75m for TG2

$3.95m for JWD

$3.3m for BP

$3m for LY

Did The Black Phone and Maverick not get any T-Mobile deals? :( +7.5% increase for the former and +3% increase for the latter.

Edited by Alex SciChannel

16 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$5.25m for Elvis

$4.75m for TG2

$3.95m for JWD

$3.3m for BP

$3m for LY

TGM still has the best 5th Tuesday excluding holidays but almost no bump for it?? I guess the biggest question it's Wednesday drop.

7 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Did The Black Phone and Maverick not get any T-Mobile deals? :( +7.5% increase for the former and +3% increase for the latter.

Ah is that why? Is T-Mobile the largest carrier in the US? Weird that deals like that could impact box office to such a large degree.

26 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$5.25m for Elvis

$4.75m for TG2

$3.95m for JWD

$3.3m for BP

$3m for LY

what did fk do?

Just now, Hilpkioy said:

Ah is that why? Is T-Mobile the largest carrier in the US? Weird that deals like that could impact box office to such a large degree.

It's my first guess because these deals get you $4 a ticket, which is insane. Which is about 1/3 of regular asking price.

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

what did fk do?

Fk? If you mean Fallen Kingdom, that film isn't directly comparable on Tuesdays with Dominion since prepandemic Tuesdays have much larger bumps on principle alone.

Edited by Alex SciChannel

2 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

It's my first guess because these deals get you $4 a ticket, which is insane. Which is about 1/3 of regular asking price.

Ah I see that's cheaper than ticket prices here! Does this happen every month?

3 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Every Tuesday I think

If this was the case then this should've impacted the box office in the previous weeks which wasn't really the case since most movies had similar bumps. Was the price today lower in particular?

35 minutes ago, Hilpkioy said:

TGM still has the best 5th Tuesday excluding holidays but almost no bump for it?? I guess the biggest question it's Wednesday drop.

Going by history, they usually have the best Wednesday drops and it was coming off of a smaller than normal Monday drop. @EmpireCity, thank you for all of your hard work.

Edited by LegendaryBen
  • Like 1