Eric is Quiet

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

4 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

WTF? I truly do not understand this generation and I am technically part of it since I was born in 1998...

Literally around half this thread this weekend:

old-woman-im-old.gif

Meanwhile the other half is

die-hard-john-mc-clane.gif

• Haha 2

I'm in Santa Barbara for the weekend and was having dinner in a restaurant next to a theater about 30 minutes ago when a group of like 9-10 students, about 5 guys and 5 girls, all of them fully dressed up in suits showed up to buy tickets to Minions.

Edited by grim22
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

Minion 2 opening is a bigger surprise than TGM to me. TGM' $126.7m was always within the high-end range of a lot of tracking and TGM hit that mark. It is the leg after that shock people. In the case Minion2, even the most optimistic expectation only call that it is possible to hit 100m 3 days, but the movie overperform, matching Minion 1's opening? I don't think the most bullish tracking see that coming. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Also, saw multiple groups of 30-40 boys just roll up in suits and buy out all the tickets at Minions tonight.  Tons more jumping on this TikTok / Meme trend tomorrow as well.  Crazy shit.  

Are we witnessing something historic here? No joke, but I have a feeling this might beat Frozen 2 opening...

As someone who educates the youths for a living, I usually at least kinda-sorta understand most of the weird trends on some level.

But as for this wearing a suit to Minions: The Rise of Gru thing? I got nothing.

• Like 2

Just now, Webslinger said:

As someone who educates the youths for a living, I usually at least kinda-sorta understand most of the weird trends on some level.

But as for this wearing a suit to Minions: The Rise of Gru thing? I got nothing.

I mean, what's there to explain?  Ironic reaction to a (perceived) inherent insanity of modern culture that metastasized into something tangible and real.  I was only slightly kidding when I compared it to Dadaism; but an ironic, detached, surrealist reaction to an unstable world isn't exactly a unique phenomenon. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Literally around half this thread this weekend:

old-woman-im-old.gif

Meanwhile the other half is

die-hard-john-mc-clane.gif

I personally always felt old regardless of age 🤣
But I guess I am truly becoming "old" now, I don't know but feels like anyone under 20 is from a completely different era of mankind...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

It's supposed to be ironic because Minions is low-brow but you're wearing a suit, you see?

Like how people said Morbius made a Morbillion dollars. Except people actually want to see Minions lmao.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, what's there to explain?  Ironic reaction to a (perceived) inherent insanity of modern culture that metastasized into something tangible and real.  I was only slightly kidding when I compared it to Dadaism; but an ironic, detached, surrealist reaction to an unstable world isn't exactly a unique phenomenon. 

Someone should start a "Showing up to vote in a suit and tie" meme on TikTok and maybe youth turnout will increase.

#PokemonGoToThePolls

Edited by grim22
  • Haha 3

Honestly, it's fucking fantastic and shows that kids and people in general don't want to sit in their living rooms and watch streaming movies for the rest of their lives. 

People want to get out in groups, they want to have shared experiences, they want to do something that makes them feel alive.  They even want the chance at getting laid and doing something fun.  

This is why theatrical will not only survive, but thrive.  Streaming will always be there as well, but it will be for shows and series, not movies.  

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I thought people were joking but there are legit people going to see Minions in suits?

Yeah I mean I'm even a part of this generation but I'm baffled that this seems to be an actual thing. Then again I don't have a TikTok so I often am just completely OOTL on memes that start there. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I thought people were joking but there are legit people going to see Minions in suits?

It's true. I have a friend who went to see Elvis tonight and texted me a photo of like 30 dudes in the theater lobby wearing suits. I am completely baffled lmao.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Legit.  Huge groups of kids from middle school to college age.  Mostly boys in suits and sunglasses, but now girls are getting in on the trend and showing up dressed up with dates.  

My guess is the girls will choose a movie in the near future they can dress up and go to.  Maybe it will be Where the Crawdads Sing. 

Also, it is GUARANTEED that some corporate marketing department is going to jump on this way too late, try to recreate a viral trend and ruin it.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Honestly, it's fucking fantastic and shows that kids and people in general don't want to sit in their living rooms and watch streaming movies for the rest of their lives. 

People want to get out in groups, they want to have shared experiences, they want to do something that makes them feel alive.  They even want the chance at getting laid and doing something fun.  

This is why theatrical will not only survive, but thrive.  Streaming will always be there as well, but it will be for shows and series, not movies.  

I think it was a mistake to think that it will be streaming vs Theaters.

It should be streaming vs Cable + Physical media.

• Sad 1