Eric Prime

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Wait do we expect big numbers for Little Mermaid? Because i dont. For me, im not even sure if that film will cross 300M DOM.

I do. Nostalgia sells. TLM is a WDAS Renaissance movie. Unless it’s like TLK levels bad, 285M is the floor. Remember how we all thought Aladdin would flop?

2 minutes ago, Skim Beeble said:

Top Gun Maverick and Minions are the last two films to be released that were affected by the pandemic iirc. So it's bittersweet that they are doing phenomenally. 

So if New Mutants released in August 2022, it would have done $200M?

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

I do. Nostalgia sells. TLM is a WDAS Renaissance movie. Unless it’s like TLK levels bad, 285M is the floor. Remember how we all thought Aladdin would flop?

Aladdins success is a fair point but i do think we'll see some Disney live-action "fatigue" after The Lion King was such a massive turd. I could be wrong ofc.

If I had to predict a summer top 10, as the list currently stands with current release dates, it’d be:

1. Guardians 3 - 525m

2. The Little Mermaid - 425m

3. Indiana Jones 5 - 400m

4. The Marvels - 385m

5. Dead Reckoning - 325m

6. The Flash - 240m
7.  Barbie - 215m
8. Fast X - 200m

9. Elemental - 185m

10. Across The SpiderVerse - 180m - Seems like the underperformer of the summer purely due to release date

Edited by YourMother

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Aladdins success is a fair point but i do think we'll see some Disney live-action "fatigue" after The Lion King was such a massive turd. I could be wrong ofc.

I think there’s fatigue but like Minions, I think the pandemic will help it with the GA forgive and forget as there hasn’t been one of these on the big screen.

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

If I had to predict a summer top 10, as the list currently stands with current release dates, it’d be:

1. Guardians 3 - 525m

2. The Little Mermaid - 425m

3. Indiana Jones 5 - 400m

4. The Marvels - 385m

5. Dead Reckoning - 325m

6. The Flash - 240m
7.  Barbie - 215m
8. Fast X - 200m

9. Elemental - 185m

10. Across The SpiderVerse - 180m

ATSV $300M+.

• Haha 1

The issue with Little Mermaid is less live-action fatigue (people will gladly see anything that is a nostalgic toy commercial), but the Disney+ factor. Almost every Disney movie that's coming out these days and into the future will have to deal with the fact that people who would have gone to them in theaters will now likely wait a couple months until it's free to watch at home. Marvel and Avatar are the only two franchises that will probably be free from that factor, but who knows if that will be the case a couple years down the line?

Don’t see why Little Mermaid would make more than Aladdin and be near BATB/LK numbers. Also someone pointed out how it doesn’t have a type of actor draw like Emma Watson in Beast and Will Smith in Aladdin

Edited by John Marston

Summer 2023 Top 10 just for shits and gigs. My overall thought is that it's a deeper summer than most but it lacks an obvious megahit even the size of Dr. Strange or Jurassic World, so it needs a breakout candidate like TGM.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy - 380m

2. Little Mermaid - 360m

3. Barbie - 315m (Yessir)

4. Indiana Jones 5 - 300m

5. The Marvels - 280m

6. Across the Spider-Verse - 275m

7. Dead Reckoning - 240m (I love this franchise but this is NOT going to carry as much of the Top Gun audience over as people think, especially as part one)

8. The Flash - 220m (biggest of summer if it wasn't for Miller losing his mind, btw)

9. Fast X - 190m unless billed as the final one very directly

10. TMNT - 175m

Looking at the rest of the year, lots of other possible solid hits but no obvious killer app this year. Could be our first year without a 400m domestic grosser in awhile.

19 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Wait do we expect big numbers for Little Mermaid? Because i dont. For me, im not even sure if that film will cross 300M DOM.

Well, it's one of the "Big 4" Disney golden era remakes, and the other 3 have a composite DOM average of $470M (and that's before the last 12 months of ticket inflation) so there's a reason people have high expectations. 

• Like 1