Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

1 minute ago, SLAM! said:

Cinema is. It cannot die because it literally isn’t able to die. Saying cinema can die is like saying literature can die. Literature isn’t dead and neither is cinema. It can change, sure. But it won’t die.

well some people doomsay about literature too.

but Literature isn't nearly as capital intensive as cinema is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Phase 4 is just like Bay's TF4. Great business, but we all know it's more based on the successes of previous movies.

if this means phase 5 is like The Last Knight (inarguably the most insane big budget movie ever made) then the whole MCU will have been worth it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, crazymoviekid said:

At my 2 local NJ theaters, Thursday is looking better than expected.  Friday...not so much.

"Thor"sday:

Ticket Solds      Total Seats        Capacity

Theater 1:

1045 2735 38.21%

Theater 2:

781 1183

66.02%

DS:MOM Comp: $30.88M (.8103x)

Friday:

Theater 1:

633 2632

24.05%

Theater 2:

674 1690 39.88%

DS:MOM Comp: $30.64M (.6388x)

DS:MOM Comp (Th+Fri): $61.52M (.6781x)

Due to the front-loaded nature of Marvel and almost an entire Summer day of previews, Thor's Friday ain't looking too hot.  I do believe Thor's Friday will gain more sales than Doctor Strange did, s o expect that number to go up.

My "Thors"day was off by a Mil, but Friday is looking to be picking up!

Friday:

Theater 1:

1129 2886 39.12%

Theater 2:

891 1690 52.72%

DS:MOM Comp (True Fri): $37.68M (.7014x)

DS:MOM Comp (Th+Fri): $66.68M (.735x) - including $29M Thurs

The walks up on Friday have definitely helped boost the Friday numbers.  The theater capacity at both theaters is less than DS:MOM at 47.95% and 68.32%.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

It’s more similar to the rise of Amazon and online shopping imo, you can’t make people choose inconvenience when they’ve tasted convenience! 

Till a few years back I absolutely refused to shop clothes and shoes online. I needed to see how it would fit and look before I bought it. Fast forward to the pandemic and easy/free returns and now I just can’t be bothered going into a physical store for anything. Even with big electronics, headphones and things like perfumes, I will go to store to decide/test on a model/brand and then buy online because the deals are better. 

I’ve shifted to shopping online almost exclusively now simply because of the convenience and deals.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Till a few years back I absolutely refused to shop clothes and shoes online. I needed to see how it would fit and look before I bought it. Fast forward to the pandemic and easy/free returns and now I just can’t be bothered going into a physical store for anything. Even with big electronics, headphones and things like perfumes, I will go to store to decide/test on a model/brand and then buy online because the deals are better. 

I’ve shifted to shopping online almost exclusively now simply because of the convenience and deals.  

Same for me, but with video games. What is the use of going to Gamestop or Best Buy and buying a game when i can just go on PSN or Eshop and buy the game at home?

Edited by CrashBandicoot81
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Cinema is. It cannot die because it literally isn’t able to die. Saying cinema can die is like saying literature can die. Literature isn’t dead and neither is cinema. It can change, sure. But it won’t die.

Slam!!! You and @Cap should think about running Survivor again. Last edition was a blast!

3 minutes ago, Travod said:

Where will Top Gun end? Is Avengers 2012 possible?

Gonna blast past it and many more like TLJ, Jurassic World and Titanic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Slam!!! You and @Cap should think about running Survivor again. Last edition was a blast!

You know… Box office is through the roof again, and a new Survivor would be a great way to celebrate that! Maybe sometime soon!

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

Same for me, but with video games. What is the use of going to Gamestop or Best Buy and buying a game when i can just go on PSN or Eshop and buy the game at home?

True. Have played like 60 games since the pandemic (loads of free time in 2020 😜) and not a single physical CD. I think the last physical cd I bought was for the PS3 lol. 

Only downside is that I could resell CD’s and get some of the money back. 

• Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

True. Have played like 60 games since the pandemic (loads of free time in 2020 😜) and not a single physical CD. I think the last physical cd I bought was for the PS3 lol. 

Honestly though with the way games drop prices, it makes reselling kind of not worth it. Unless it is like Nintendo or something. 

16 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

That’s why you need a Sharebuddy!  I’ve have the same one since PS4 and we own entirely too many games between us lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Naive to think that streaming has not changed the entire equation. People tend to think its the SH genre that has impacted movie going habits and mid budget movies. It has not, it is streaming that is the catalyst for this change. SH genre dominance just coincided with the rise of streaming and hence why people conflate the two. 

Radio, which was far bigger and more widespread than streaming at its peak did not kill off cinema.

TV, which was far bigger and more widespread than streaming at its peak did not kill off cinema.

Home video, which was far bigger and more widespread than streaming at its peak did not kill off cinema.

We've been here before. We will be again.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

There is no difference between playing a game on a disc and playing a downloaded version of the game. It's the same experience.

The experience between watching a movie at the cinema and watching it at home is completely different. It's like viewing the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in person versus looking at a postcard of it.

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Naive to think that streaming has not changed the entire equation. People tend to think its the SH genre that has impacted movie going habits and mid budget movies. It has not, it is streaming that is the catalyst for this change. SH genre dominance just coincided with the rise of streaming and hence why people conflate the two. 

People said the same thing about cable, and radio before that. And as all those mediums learnt (what streaming is about to as well) that you can't make this business model work without Ads which is going to lead this industry in the same path it has been before. 

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Film obviously won't die lol. The death of cinema is an oxymoron. But there is certainly a death of the mid-budget theatrical movie, as most have either gone streaming or extinct. And if the MCU fails, the entire industry will pop because the desire for industry to shun midbudget films in favor of blockbusters is because the investment and profit potential

What is a mid budget movie nowadays? Giving that a big budget is now $150m-$300m+ I would say that MINIONS, which cost a mere $80m, and is going gangbusters at the box office, is a mid budget movie.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

if this means phase 5 is like The Last Knight (inarguably the most insane big budget movie ever made) then the whole MCU will have been worth it.

Bring us the MCU Cogman

OZ9_88zy2k0R6MzByVtB4cqs7Pm7JQn17CPEO03i

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1