Eric Deetz

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

Whenever I watch TV, I feel guilty I'm not watching a movie. As insane as that sounds. I just like movies and film more and I truly feel like I'm wasting my time on TV as if I'm neglectful. I don't mean that to knock television, either. (Though, I do hate streaming color grade). It's just that serialization is an issue. It's why I struggle keeping up with comics. The only TV I watch are like sketch comedies (Nathan For You) or short comedies/sitcoms (Barry, Only Murders). I try keeping up with Disney+ but it sometimes feels more like an obligation than pleasure. It's why I've burned out on Star Wars post 2015. It's why the MCU run from 2012-2019 was so fun. It truly felt substantial and crucial. These were literal novelties and experiences that could only occur in that specific moment in time as a community. It was a blast seeing the characters I always fantasized on the big screen on this journey. I wanted to join them... I don't want to join whatever the hell Moon Knight is doing 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I enjoyed it but they gotta kill off some main characters which I think they will in the shows final season. It's getting way to overcrowded. The fan favorite Steve just screams hero death sacrificing himself to save everyone.

Final season will see some deaths for sure. Its like endgame killing IM/BW. There will be 1 or 2 big ones for sure. Let us see if they can top this one. Wont be that easy. Plus these kids have all aged. Cannot play them as young kids any more. 

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Whenever I watch TV, I feel guilty I'm not watching a movie. As insane as that sounds. I just like movies and film more and I truly feel like I'm wasting my time on TV as if I'm neglectful. I don't mean that to knock television, either. (Though, I do hate streaming color grade). It's just that serialization is an issue. It's why I struggle keeping up with comics. The only TV I watch are like sketch comedies (Nathan For You) or short comedies/sitcoms (Barry, Only Murders). I try keeping up with Disney+ but it sometimes feels more like an obligation than pleasure. It's why I've burned out on Star Wars post 2015. It's why the MCU run from 2012-2019 was so fun. It truly felt substantial and crucial. These were literal novelties and experiences that could only occur in that specific moment in time as a community. It was a blast seeing the characters I always fantasized on the big screen on this journey. I wanted to join them... I don't want to join whatever the hell Moon Knight is doing 

so do you like TV or not? Like you shouldn't necessarily feel guilty about watching anything, and if it feels like a chore, drop it.

It's not like you're getting truly intellectually stimulating content out there anyways.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

so do you like TV or not? Like you shouldn't necessarily feel guilty about watching anything, and if it feels like a chore, drop it.

It's not like you're getting truly intellectually stimulating content out there anyways.

It's not that I dislike TV but I'd way more interested in watching the new theater release than I am watching the new streaming release, you know? These MCU shows for example. I did have fun initially when Wandavision premiered but then the joy diminished and it became almost daunting knowing there's this oversaturation of content. In a way, this constant stimulation almost ruins actual anticipation for me. 

• Like 1

I got so many different shows I’m watching right now that I made a list in my notes app on my phone to help keep up lol

I divided them up by which streamer or channel they’re on. Although, the only show I watch that’s on a regular channel is Resident Alien(Sy-Fy). Everything else is streaming. 

TV is great and capable of being just as fulfilling and brilliant as any other artistic medium when done right. The Wire and Sopranos are as good as any American art in the 21st century, and the peaks of Succession, early GOT, Made Men, Breaking Bad, Broadchurch are up there with the best films. The best comedy is on TV too - I Think You Should Leave, Nathan for You, prime Simpsons and Scrubs. TV is great.

The problem is TV can also be a chore. Movies are never a chore. They're a fun experience to go to, and if I throw on the Departed or Se7en for the 100th time, it's never a chore either. But watching the final season of Ozark just to complete it? Chore. Sticking with the Adam McKay Lakers show because you are "watching it"? Chore. Even if a movie turns out to be a stinker, I didn't really waste time because I saw a story to completion. But if I don't end up finishing this last season of Ozark, I pretty much threw 30 hours of my life down the toilet. That's why TV will never top movies for me.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Movies are never a chore.

well... I don't know about a chore, but what about artistically challenging things?

I didn't mean to say TV could never be artistically challenging, btw. Just that it was unlikely.

20 minutes ago, The Dark Rock said:

Muted Friday bump across the board for the holdovers. Summer weekdays effect?

Minions dailies were always suggesting inflated weekdays. I suspect the mon is to blame (people extending the 4th into a longer vacation from work) but don’t see much of an effect from 2016 and 2011, so… 🤷‍♂️