Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

8 hours ago, YourMother said:

Super Pets looks kinda obnoxious outside of cute pet and their superhero interactions. Therefore it’s locked for 100m DOM.

8 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

pfft super pets doesn't even have a tiktok trend. bombs away.

this tbh. No one gives a crap about super pets

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I ALWAYS said under $150M...never changed.  Same for the dinos:).  And took a TON of heat from fans for both very early calls.

I did lower my bottom range from $130M to $110M based on the initial social media, but I guess that one will be in the legs b/c folks had to see the carnage for themselves...

So, I went from $130-$150M for my 2 month out call...and got down to $110-$150 in the last week b/c you could feel the negatives coming:)...

I thought you said TLT had a fair chance of an OW DOM under M2's 4 day OW DOM (not close) during last weekend's thread...

I also thought you said just before it's OW, Elvis wouldn't be #1 its weekend (it was close), wouldn't cross 30M+ its OW DOM (also close) and wouldn't gross 100M+ DOM (not close) which it will rather easily cross.

It's all in good fun but you're right and you're wrong just about as often as anyone else here. Maybe  I'm wrong in those but I thought that's where you stood with each.

Where do you see Nope, Super Pets and Bullet Train opening? Those are likely the last three with 40M+ OW DOM potential this summer.

EDIT - Wanted add that you're definitely right a lot too. This more of an good fun reply and not an attack. Just want that to be clear.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, ringedmortality said:

Actually she said Elvis wouldn't be top 2 (maybe even said wouldn't be top 3).

I also said that weekend you could throw the order in a blender and spin, since no one was touching $40M:)...but yes, I did get Elvis open order wrong (although the value more right) - sue me:).  Top Gun needed an extra $1.5M (and the dinos just didn't have the same hold in them).  

If that's me being wrong, I think I'd have Deadline's job tomorrow.  Now, Minions - that's being wrong.  When I'm uber-wrong, I'm uber-wrong.

But dang, going back through all my threads, I seem to have hit a nerve with Thor fans:). 

PS - I also said I'd take a flyer on TLT under $122M (or whatever the compared movie in the club was b/c that convo was a week ago, and I tend not to look at my past stuff unless I'm going to the tracking thread and finding theater sets b/c it takes me AWHILE to find), but that wasn't more than a flyer (aka, something you bet 10-to-1 odds on, like on a horserace - maybe it's a term of art I shouldn't use b/c not everyone here watches horse races:).  B/c that movie was in my range:).  Just like I joined the winning club b/c it was only slightly under my ceiling, so it was more than likely to be right - and it was.

PPS - As for the rest of the summer...I don't predict horror b/c I don't watch it.  I do watch supers and blockbusters, so I tend to stay in my lane, and call those when I feel strongly that the board is moving the wrong way, especially early.  

If you wanna know about the Superpets, I said $10-$100M 2 months ago b/c I just don't know.  I don't feel strongly, so I don't think I'm gonna be any better than anyone else calling it.  Now that Thor opened as a big disappointment, I think that helps...a lot.  But now that we still aren't seeing kids in any real numbers to anything (b/c Minions was so teen driven), maybe that's offset.  I said $37M before Minions open.  With Thor's weakness, I think $45M might be a better call.  So, I think the board is low, but not with the conviction I had with the board being too high on Lightyear, Elvis, dinos, and Thor...and too low on Maverick...

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

That Dominion didnt open to 200M+ is a massive tragedy and ruined the summer box office. DOM market is hopeless, it shoud look up to Mexico, that is the holy market.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

That Dominion didnt open to 200M+ is a massive tragedy and ruined the summer box office. DOM market is hopeless, it shoud look up to Mexico, that is the holy market.

Mexico didn’t give Dominion $200M either, SAD

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Already??

F9 became available on PVOD in its sixth weekend last year too. Streaming releases usually don't impact box office revenue when you have to pay $20 for a 48 hour rental.

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I thought Universal said that the window's would be expanded for their blockbusters this year.

I thought the same, but seems that they were saying the 45 days window was for Peacock

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I thought Universal said that the window's would be expanded for their blockbusters this year.

That comment was about Peacock, not about VOD. The Black Phone should be available very soon as well.