Eric is Quiet

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

24 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Like it or not superhero movies account for one-third of annual box office revenue.

If they die it kind of leaves a void.

It's an IP world. You can't sell billions in toys/rides/collectibles/clothes from something like Gladiator or What Women Want. You can't make endless sequels or sell a ton of DVD's either.

So if you get rid of superheroes, what takes their place?

Or maybe, Superhero films falling off will give a place for other genres to go bigger, or have new trends in movie genres to be massive events

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

I mean that Dominion Cinemascore was clearly just bad sampling

Let’s not. 

You know a film isn’t being received as well as people expected when the weekend thread has people questioning Cinemascore. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dingdong said:

Or maybe, Superhero films falling off will give a place for other genres to go bigger, or have new trends in movie genres to be massive events

Thats just conjecture without any proof. Many people including I will not go see any movie in theatres just for the sake of seeing it in theatres if movies that appeal to them are not being made anymore. 

This is especially true nowadays with streaming and short theatrical windows. If what people want isn’t being made then they will simply wait for a movie they were not interested in to come to streaming. And they would only have to wait a few weeks. 

What you said might have held true before streaming though. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Thats just conjecture without any proof. Many people including I will not go see any movie in theatres just for the sake of seeing it in theatres if movies that appeal to them are not being made anymore. 

This is especially true nowadays with streaming and short theatrical windows. If what people want isn’t being made then they will simply wait for a movie they were not interested in to come to streaming. And they would only have to wait a few weeks. 

What you said might have held true before streaming though. 

Yep. The times of people going to the movies just for going to the movies has passed and id even argue it had passed a few years before Covid hit. Nowadays a movie needs to convince the GA that it is worth seeing in a theater and not something where youre fine with waiting a few months for streaming.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yep. The times of people going to the movies just for going to the movies has passed and id even argue it had passed a few years before Covid hit. Nowadays a movie needs to convince the GA that it is worth seeing in a theater and not something where youre fine with waiting a few months for streaming.

It was already starting, the pandemic only accelerated the timeline 

To repeat what I said in a previous weekend thread: the bar for “worth it” in terms of the time, expense and often hassle of going to a movie has been raised. It will take a greater level of experience to meet it, but as TGM has proven, it can be still be done 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I want non-IPs or adult programmers to survive more than anyone. I'll see nearly all of them theatrically. But the implosion of the MCU would not lead more to these movies getting made. It's that simple. Many aren't being made now, so why would there suddenly be a revolution?

Why I'm so glad Elvis is a hit, even if it's kinda sorta an IP, it's something. Here's hoping Amsterdam or Babylon can turn into hits. 

Edited by Driver

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I want non-IPs or adult programmers to survive more than anyone. I'll see nearly all of them theatrically. But the implosion of the MCU would not lead more to these movies getting made. It's that simple. Many aren't being made now, so why would there suddenly be a revolution?

Top Gun should maybe help for a reset of sorts?

10 minutes ago, M37 said:

It was already starting, the pandemic only accelerated the timeline 

To repeat what I said in a previous weekend thread: the bar for “worth it” in terms of the time, expense and often hassle of going to a movie has been raised. It will take a greater level of experience to meet it, but as TGM has proven, it can be still be done 

Well, I'd caveat this...

The bar has been lifted for the casual, NON-subscriber GA.

For the AMC/Regal subscriber, the bar may actually have been slightly lowered b/c for them, movies are perversely, a great deal...b/c they get practically as many as they want...so, they'll see practically anything big budget and tailored to teens and above...b/c it's why they got their subscription in the 1st place...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Driver said:

Why I'm so glad Elvis is a hit, even if it's kinda sorta an IP, it's something. Here's hoping Amsterdam or Babylon can turn into hits. 

Babylon will via Oscar buzz. Amsterdam sounds like a disaster lol 

10 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Cinema was here long before superhero mania, it will be here long after superhero mania. Trends come and go like the ebbs of tides but cinema is the sea, which remains.

Naive to think that streaming has not changed the entire equation. People tend to think its the SH genre that has impacted movie going habits and mid budget movies. It has not, it is streaming that is the catalyst for this change. SH genre dominance just coincided with the rise of streaming and hence why people conflate the two. 

• Like 8

Film obviously won't die lol. The death of cinema is an oxymoron. But there is certainly a death of the mid-budget theatrical movie, as most have either gone streaming or extinct. And if the MCU fails, the entire industry will pop because the desire for industry to shun midbudget films in favor of blockbusters is because the investment and profit potential

21 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Cinema was here long before superhero mania, it will be here long after superhero mania. Trends come and go like the ebbs of tides but cinema is the sea, which remains.

Cinema is. It cannot die because it literally isn’t able to die. Saying cinema can die is like saying literature can die. Literature isn’t dead and neither is cinema. It can change, sure. But it won’t die.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Naive to think that streaming has not changed the entire equation. People tend to think its the SH genre that has impacted movie going habits and mid budget movies. It has not, it is streaming that is the catalyst for this change. SH genre dominance just coincided with the rise of streaming and hence why people conflate the two. 

It’s more similar to the rise of Amazon and online shopping imo, you can’t make people choose inconvenience when they’ve tasted convenience!