charlie Jatinder

11-14 Weekday Thread | Featuring Future BOFFY Award Winning Meltdown of Our Fallen False God

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

You know... I've been with this forum since the BOM days. Not always regularly, then I messed up my account and had to move up a number from 18 to 19. Then I started losing interest in box office, then the pandemic, and I just couldn't be bothered with all the doom and gloom about cinemas, the talk about streaming, just endless Marvel movies and TV shows and on and on and on. So I never bothered commenting again even when my fingers itched. But I've been lurking, and I feel like I wanna say my peace as well...

There's a difference between expressing opinions and arguing politely and turning "anti-wokeness" and general culture war shit into a way of life. And when you add smugness and condescension into the mix, it's never pretty. Frankly, a lot of those types of posts were the reason I either stayed away altogether or didn't comment, because I decided it's not healthy for me to get involved in these sorts of flame wars.

I think EC's insights will be missed (though hopefully he will return), but he definitely needs to work on his delivery a bit.

Having said all that...

• Thor Love and Thunder was complete dogshit.
  • Doctor Strange was part dogshit. Decent Raimi-isms throughout, but overall uncreative, unremarkable, instantly forgettable.
  • EEAAO was amazing. Give it all the awards.
  • Top Gun Maverick was awesome and while American exceptionalism (as in, INDIVIDUAL exceptionalism, with an individual pilot being the iconic embodiment of American superlative - given they make a point of being the underdogs technologically here) brought in the more conservative whites out and Fox News embraced it, I can't begrudge them that. I haven't been on the edge of my seat like I was for that third act in ages (probably since Fallout, really)
  • Pretty much all the Disney+ MCU and SW shows are complete dogshit.
  • WB continues to be a shitshow and what they did with their slate last year is unforgivable. DC in particular continues to be run by monkeys, judging by how hit-and-miss they are (The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker were great, WW84 was terrible and The Batman was good but each scene needed to be slightly trimmed, as it went from "build tension and atmosphere" to "get on with it alreeeeeeady!!!",The Black Adam trailer was horrendous, and The Flash is clearly cursed).
  • How in the hell did they manage to take the FB series from "cute, harmless, Potter-lite fun" to complete dogshit over the course of 3 movies? 
  • JWD is stupider than the previous entries (including the famous ALAN-led JP3), but it was entertaining. I think the Malta Jason Bourne-style chase is exactly what the movie needed to be. A world-spanning caper which has the dinos in urban areas for fun, over-the-top scenes. But hey, I was advocating a Fast and Furious crossover with JW after Fallen Order - who better to track dinosaurs and catch them than LA FAMIGLIA? But I don't run Universal, so they went with this shit instead...
  • Speaking of Fast and Furious - fuck me, was the 9th one bad. Cements my opinion than Vin Diesel can't have so much of the focus in those movies, otherwise it collapses into a black hole of stupidity, with not enough charisma to hold it up).
  • No Way Home was almost unwatchable dogshit, propped up by terrible effects, nostalgia and fan service. But Goddamn if it wasn't a fun experience at the movies. That's the good shit that you don't get at home, on your sofa. The thrill of 200 people cheering for Andrew Garfield!
  • Eternals was a pretty-looking piece of dogshit, hampered by not being a miniseries
  • Shang Chi was an amazing, God level action flick for 3/4 of the runtime then it devolved into complete dogshit.
  • Black Widow exists

I hope Love and Thunder finishes under Ragnarok, I hope Dominion beats Strange, I hope Avatar 2 can somehow be a good movie, to justify its long gestation, and at the same time, it underperforms at the box office, because despite my love for the theatrical experience I doubt even DC, SW or MCU meltdowns would be as entertaining for me as a James Cameron failure. 

In conclusion, movies suck now, but I still love watching the big dumb fun on a big screen, and love to read about their box office here. Just with less condescension now, hopefully...

Peace!

I like how you started with losing interest due to endless Marvel movies talk and then go on to add to the "talk" on every (and only) Marvel/DC movies/shows in last 2 years.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I like how you started with losing interest due to endless Marvel movies talk and then go on to add to the "talk" on every (and only) Marvel/DC movies/shows in last 2 years.

You forgot that they said EEAAO is a masterpiece, which is the true cinephile opinion.

• Community Manager

It should be noted that while EC's post was pretty tame compared to some other posts he got warnings for, this isn't the first time we banned someone for a relatively tame rule breaking post because it put them at 10 points. 

I know some of you are going "what's the line?" And the line is: just don't be a dick. Argue your points in a respectful manner. Does this forum skew young? Maybe. But that's no reason to dismiss members by going that they don't know what hard work is. Because a lot of the members here do know and even if they don't, they can still have an opinion on how you treat people in the workplace. EC could have defended Marvel in a way where he didn't disparage the forum community. That was on him. And while you can be like "that's not so bad suck it up", well kinda ironic coming from people who can't seem to suck it up and follow the rules. You think the mods are too strict now? Okay, well, maybe you right. But if the only posts you make are "wah wah I can't just post what I want the mods are too strict" well...maybe your posts should be less offensive. If you can't bring your points across without insulting people maybe your points aren't worth sharing (or you'll get warning points). 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

MoM made 61.8 million in its 2nd weekend. While I would love to see Thor soar as high as 65 million in its second weekend, it just doesn’t seem realistic considering MoM opened 43 million higher. I actually think 55 million would be a win, given its having stronger weekdays (compared to MoM) that are burning off some demand.

MOM had the advantage of stronger weekends  early in it's run.

100%+ Fri jumps.

Summer weekend  jumps are mute and weekdays are stronger.

This weekday numbers are poiting to a huge drop.

Thursday should be around 8.7-9m.

55m would be very good and actually close to antman 2 and homecoming  second weekend.

But this is coming in high 40s to low 50s this weekend.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Will WB ever join the 600mil domestic club?

A Harry Potter sequel movie reuniting the original cast can do that if the movie is great. Just got to ensure JK Rowling does not write the screenplay.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

A Harry Potter sequel movie reuniting the original cast can do that if the movie is great. Just got to ensure JK Rowling does not write the screenplay.

As much as I would love that, none of Potter films adj that much right? 

US numbers for Potter feels a bit underwhelming.

33 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

It should be noted that while EC's post was pretty tame compared to some other posts he got warnings for, this isn't the first time we banned someone for a relatively tame rule breaking post because it put them at 10 points. 

I know some of you are going "what's the line?" And the line is: just don't be a dick. Argue your points in a respectful manner. Does this forum skew young? Maybe. But that's no reason to dismiss members by going that they don't know what hard work is. Because a lot of the members here do know and even if they don't, they can still have an opinion on how you treat people in the workplace. EC could have defended Marvel in a way where he didn't disparage the forum community. That was on him. And while you can be like "that's not so bad suck it up", well kinda ironic coming from people who can't seem to suck it up and follow the rules. You think the mods are too strict now? Okay, well, maybe you right. But if the only posts you make are "wah wah I can't just post what I want the mods are too strict" well...maybe your posts should be less offensive. If you can't bring your points across without insulting people maybe your points aren't worth sharing (or you'll get warning points). 

Mooding here is not always based on the rules you guys have outlined I find though.

Its more seems subjective blocking of topics that a mod does not agree with at that time.

Like some people get warned for something and few posts before a person was doing the same exact thing but the mod agree with the viewpoint so it is fine?

meaning users the mods like can get a free pass on many things but other users get heavily modded if they dont share the same opinions as the mod?

Not trying to complain but I feel that is how it is like now and sort of just try to say what the mods like now lol 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

What if the mods are being offensive to others and feel immune from criticism 

If we felt immune from criticism, a lot of you would be warned/banned right now and your posts hidden away. As long as the criticism doesn't become personal, you are always free to give your opinion on the mod staff. And even if we defend ourselves when we feel we are right, we do take criticism from the community seriously. There are many times we have shifted our mod styles and internal rules based on feedback from the community. Often over time but we do listen.

If you mean a mod has broken a forum rule, report the mod. There will likely be some internal discipline you don't see. If it's serious or consistent enough you may see them lose their mod status. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

If we felt immune from criticism, a lot of you would be warned/banned right now and your posts hidden away. As long as the criticism doesn't become personal, you are always free to give your opinion on the mod staff. And even if we defend ourselves when we feel we are right, we do take criticism from the community seriously. There are many times we have shifted our mod styles and internal rules based on feedback from the community. Often over time but we do listen.

If you mean a mod has broken a forum rule, report the mod. There will likely be some internal discipline you don't see. If it's serious or consistent enough you may see them lose their mod status. 

I be honest i just more browse here now and sort of like discord and live discussion. 

Sort of feel there are 100 unwritten rules here that are randomly applied based on the mods mood of the day and how much they like or hate you.

That is my only critique. 

Like one mod didnt like me calling twitter not the real world lol 

Edited by Torontofan

• Community Manager
14 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Mooding here is not always based on the rules you guys have outlined I find though.

Its more seems subjective blocking of topics that a mod does not agree with at that time.

Like some people get warned for something and few posts before a person was doing the same exact thing but the mod agree with the viewpoint so it is fine?

meaning users the mods like can get a free pass on many things but other users get heavily modded if they dont share the same opinions as the mod?

Not trying to complain but I feel that is how it is like now and sort of just try to say what the mods like now lol 

We don't announce when we warn users. It's possible they got warned and you just didn't realize. It is also possible they didn't. Maybe we missed it, maybe we didn't think the first user broke the rules while the second didn't, or maybe only one post got reported. We aren't perfect and this is a pretty big forum after all. If you feel a member is getting away with something, report the post. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Why Jk shouldn't write an Harry Potter sequel?. 

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

We don't announce when we warn users. It's possible they got warned and you just didn't realize. It is also possible they didn't. Maybe we missed it, maybe we didn't think the first user broke the rules while the second didn't, or maybe only one post got reported. We aren't perfect and this is a pretty big forum after all. If you feel a member is getting away with something, report the post. 

No worries i will just avoid topic that upset a certain mod here XD 

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

just to clarify I am not talking about writing the story, I am specifically talking about screenwriting. She was not the screenwriter for any HP movies but was for every one of the FB movies and we know that one of the biggest problems with the FB movies was the screenplay. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Crimes of Grindewald and Secrets of Dumbledore.

Sorry misread as FB

Edited by DAR

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

just to clarify I am not talking about writing the story, I am specifically talking about screenwriting. She was not the screenwriter for any HP movies but was for every one of the FB movies and we know that one of the biggest problems with the FB movies was the screenplay. 

yep. Not even kloves could help her deliver a third movie that felt like an actual movie. Just bits of what were inevitably another two films, all mixed together just incase WB didn’t want to carry on with them.