charlie Jatinder

11-14 Weekday Thread | Featuring Future BOFFY Award Winning Meltdown of Our Fallen False God

It’s Tuesday the 12th of July otherwise known as the $600M day for Top Gun Maverick. How did it manage that without any lightsabers or superheroes or blue creatures or a sinking ship?

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Similar to AM&tW.

55% down from two weeks ago for TGM. Similar Rest of week would be 8M weekdays, 605.5 cume from 23.5 7day. 700 still looking pretty good.

Difference is that it’s unlikely Thor gets the same Tue bump (+45%) following a -63% Mon, so it’s a weaker result in context of weekly pattern

For comparison, JWD was -67%/+16%

Edited by M37

27 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

It’s Tuesday the 12th of July otherwise known as  the $600M day for Top Gun Maverick. How did it manage that without any lightsabers or superheroes or blue creatures or a sinking ship?

Good storytelling and like a lot of things in life, being in the right place at the right time. After 29 mos of Covid hell and years more of living in a society that is seemingly at odds on everything, it's pretty damn cathartic to watch a bunch of brave, beautiful men and women join together to just get the job done. It's so much simpler than dealing with a virus that mutates every ten seconds or a political system that is broken to the core.

It's a great movie but if it had been released on its original date, I don't think it would have become the phenomenon that it did. It would have been big, just not this big.

Edited by A Star is Orm
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Monday 

Thor - 12-12.25
Minions - 6.4
TGM - 2.1

interested to see how AMC reintroducing cheap Tuesdays will affect this. 
DS:MoM had a 12.6m first Tuesday. This could come very close to that. 

8 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

interested to see how AMC reintroducing cheap Tuesdays will affect this. 
DS:MoM had a 12.6m first Tuesday. This could come very close to that. 

But isn't the cheap Tuesday only applied to showtime before 4-5pm? I remember the cheap Tuesday before pandemic was a full day event. 

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

But isn't the cheap Tuesday only applied to showtime before 4-5pm? I remember the cheap Tuesday before pandemic was a full day event. 

If you're a member, it's all day.  If you're not, yes, it ends at 4-5pm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Similar to AM&tW.

55% down from two weeks ago for TGM. Similar Rest of week would be 8M weekdays, 605.5 cume from 23.5 7day. 700 still looking pretty good.

To arrive 700 M with just an average of 20 % weekly drops needs 3 more months, i really don´t think will be in theatres 3 more months with the necessary number of screens. 
Also this 20 % average will be difficult to mantain, i think the chance of 700 has been lost this weekend, sadly...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, setna said:

To arrive 700 M with just an average of 20 % weekly drops needs 3 more months, i really don´t think will be in theatres 3 more months with the necessary number of screens. 
Also this 20 % average will be difficult to mantain, i think the chance of 700 has been lost this weekend, sadly...

I do think it’s fair to say the odds of crossing $700M have lowered a bit, but instead of another month of play to crawl over the finish line, TGM can offset that with a IMAX/PLF re-release in August 

If that doesn’t happen, do think it gets dicey

• Like 2

So TGM will have to tie Avatar for days to $600m. Idk if BOM gives the tiebreaker to TGM since its cumulative total will still be higher tomorrow.

Edited by Jiffy

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

It’s Tuesday the 12th of July otherwise known as  the $600M day for Top Gun Maverick. How did it manage that without any lightsabers or superheroes or blue creatures or a sinking ship?

Huh. Just realized that all of the $600 million dom grossers except Top Gun 2 have at least one of those things.

Still impressed by Incredibles 2 though. Animated superheroes!

Edited by cannastop

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Airplanes are cool

• Like 1

OT: Have we ever gotten 2022 numbers for current AMC/Regal subscribers?  I know Cinemark released very current numbers last month, for hitting 1M subscribers, but I was wondering about the other 2...especially b/c I see 75% of Paws of Fury's likely audience being from those 2 groups (since almost all the Cinemark ones probably already saw Minions or Thor this month, and they ain't gonna pay for this). 

I figure parental subscribers who have earned enough points for free child tickets will take their little ones if they get really, really bored or if it's raining...but it's hard to think about the possible base when we've only got 2019 counts for both programs...

Edited by TwoMisfits

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/newsletter/2022-07-12/wide-shot-box-office-myth-busters-the-wide-shot

Theory: The big screen will be back to normal in a couple of years.

Reality: Too soon to tell.

Theory: Family audiences aren’t coming back to theaters.

Reality: Pundits worried that Pixar movies like “Turning Red,” which went straight to Disney+, would train parents and kids to watch new releases at home. After “Sonic the Hedgehog 2" and “Minions: The Rise of Gru,” experts beg to differ.

Theory: Older audiences aren’t coming back.

Reality: “Top Gun.” “Dog.” “The Lost City.”

Theory: Young people prefer TikTok and video games to movies.

Reality: Young people are increasingly gravitating toward video games and user-generated social media content as their preferred sources of entertainment. But teens are literally dressing up in formal wear to watch “Minions” because of TikTok.

Theory: Streaming is replacing theatrical filmgoing.

Reality: The amount of quality content on Netflix and other streamers has raised the bar for theatrical movies. But there’s evidence that streaming and theatrical is not a zero-sum game.

Theory: “Woke” politics are hurting business.

Reality: There’s anecdotal evidence (i.e., scrolling Twitter) that some parents were uncomfortable with the notion of the gay kiss in “Lightyear,” and that this dampened box office returns. But there’s little hard data yet to suggest a major backlash against “wokeness” affecting sales industrywide. In fact, inclusivity, in terms of people of color and women, tends to improve business.

Theory: Movie theaters are only for “event films.”

Reality: “Everything Everywhere All at Once” has made $67 million domestically.

Theory: Superhero dominance sucks oxygen out of the rest of the business.

Reality: Three of the top 10 films this year are superhero pictures. But other stuff is working too.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/newsletter/2022-07-12/wide-shot-box-office-myth-busters-the-wide-shot

Theory: Movie theaters are only for “event films.”

Reality: “Everything Everywhere All at Once” has made $67 million domestically

This feels like extreme cherry picking to go with the one small movie which managed to become an event.

Pre-streaming, there would be way more "smaller" movies breaking to more than that.

• Like 14