charlie Jatinder

11-14 Weekday Thread | Featuring Future BOFFY Award Winning Meltdown of Our Fallen False God

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This feels like extreme cherry picking to go with the one small movie which managed to become an event.

Pre-streaming, there would be way more "smaller" movies breaking to more than that.

As was the family movie stuff - the 2 "family" movies to succeed were the ones that drew enormous 13-25 audience, which is not the "family" audience...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

As was the family movie stuff - the 2 "family" movies to succeed were the ones that drew enormous 13-25 audience, which is not the "family" audience...

You don't get to $108 million OW with minions without a lot of families imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

You don't get to $108 million OW with minions without a lot of families imo.

There were only 11% above 25 that weekend (and you have to assume at least a few of those adults are non-parents)...and 13-17 on their own was 43%.  So, yeah, you do.  Families made up no more than 25%ish of that audience, at best, based on the numbers...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

>The amount of quality content on Netflix and other streamers has raised the bar for theatrical movies. But there’s evidence that streaming and theatrical is not a zero-sum game.

Studios are raising the bar because of how good The Christmas Prince 2 was

Look, if a Fleabagified Persuasion where people say "A 5 in London is like a 10 in Bath" in the early 1800s is not the peak of cinema, then I don't know what is.

In related news - my wife wants to find everyone involved with the movie and exact revenge for butchering her all time favorite novel.

Edited by grim22
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

There were only 11% above 25 that weekend...and 13-17 on their own was 43%.  So, yeah, you do.  Families made up no more than 25%ish of that audience, at best, based on the numbers...

much to consider.

But surely some of those teens went with their families too, right? Where do these numbers come from?

https://deadline.com/2022/07/minions-rise-of-gru-box-office-1235055270/

In Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits, audiences gave Rise of Gru a very good 87% positive, 71% recommend, while kids under 12 gave it an 86% positive, 62% recommend. The animated pic is mom-leaning, as we expected, with 51% females, 75% under 25.

Extremely impressive here is the turnout of 13-17 year olds at 43%. That’s because Minions are cool again after the demo turned their noses up at the banana-eating creatures. All of this is because Universal went straight after the TikTok generation.

Don't know where you got 11% above 25 on that.

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This feels like extreme cherry picking to go with the one small movie which managed to become an event.

Pre-streaming, there would be way more "smaller" movies breaking to more than that.

Agree completely, and even then EEAAO was still an “event” in that it was 1) only available theatrically and 2) had great WOM 

I’ll keep saying it: the bar for “worth it” to draw people into theaters has been raised. It’s a question of whether studios rise to meet that with higher quality films, and exhibitors can enhance the experience with more PLFs and potentially other advancements 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

much to consider.

But surely some of those teens went with their families too, right? Where do these numbers come from?

Deadline posted 89% 25 and under (which would mean 11% 25 and over)...I'll find it, but if you wanna go through my posts that weekend thread, I liked it and posted the actual info from Deadline as a copy/paste and link...that's why I wasn't as shocked I screwed up the movie BO - I had no idea about the Tik Tok or how amazing it would work for 13-25.  I mean, families showed up like I expected...

Just now, M37 said:

Agree completely, and even then EEAAO was still an “event” in that it was 1) only available theatrically and 2) had great WOM 

I’ll keep saying it: the bar for “worth it” to draw people into theaters has been raised. It’s a question of whether studios rise to meet that with higher quality films, and exhibitors can enhance the experience with more PLFs and potentially other advancements 

not every movie can be as good as EEAAO.

Like if every movie got 98% approval on rottentomatoes I'd be suspicious. That's just not sustainable.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

much to consider.

Found it - 

"However, Rise of Gru did attract a massive under-25 demographic at 89%."

• Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

There were only 11% above 25 that weekend (and you have to assume at least a few of those adults are non-parents)...and 13-17 on their own was 43%.  So, yeah, you do.  Families made up no more than 25%ish of that audience, at best, based on the numbers...

I believe that 11% over 25 was just the Thursday sample, while the full weekend came up much higher (which also makes sense with the high Th/Fri and then Sat decline, as families came up while TikTok teens declined)

In Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits, audiences gave Rise of Gru a very good 87% positive, 71% recommend, while kids under 12 gave it an 86% positive, 62% recommend. The animated pic is mom-leaning, as we expected, with 51% females, 75% under 25.

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

I believe that 11% over 25 was just the Thursday sample, while the full weekend came up much higher (which also makes sense with the high Th/Fri and then Sat decline, as families came up while TikTok teens declined)

In Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits, audiences gave Rise of Gru a very good 87% positive, 71% recommend, while kids under 12 gave it an 86% positive, 62% recommend. The animated pic is mom-leaning, as we expected, with 51% females, 75% under 25.

Mine was the Monday morning update, and this info seems like it had to be sooner...not saying Deadline didn't screw it up, but it was their last update so my info should be the more exact weekend stuff...

Edit to add: It is also possible, that since the trend got HUGE on the Friday, that it could have carried through the weekend and increased the teen figures...

Edited by TwoMisfits

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

not every movie can be as good as EEAAO.

Like if every movie got 98% approval on rottentomatoes I'd be suspicious. That's just not sustainable.

Right, but not everyone movie is a limited/platform release which makes $6M on its first wide expansion weekend and then WOM propels it to make 10x more 

Lost City or Free Guy are better examples in this regard, with a solid wide opening and then enough positive WOM to sustain for a long run

25 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Mine was the Monday morning update, and this info seems like it had to be sooner...not saying Deadline didn't screw it up, but it was their last update so my info should be the more exact weekend stuff...

Edit to add: It is also possible, that since the trend got HUGE on the Friday, that it could have carried through the weekend and increased the teen figures...

Ah, I see it now, and I’d bet that’s a typo (69%?)

Friday Update

Mostly guy-skewing last night for Rise of Gru, however, it’s expected that moms will turn out. Those under 25 were 70%. Boys dominated those under 12 at 60%.

Saturday Update

In Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits, audiences gave Rise of Gru a very good 87% positive, 71% recommend, while kids under 12 gave it an 86% positive, 62% recommend. The animated pic is mom-leaning, as we expected, with 51% females, 75% under 25. Extremely impressive here is the turnout of 13-17 year olds at 43%.

Monday Update

However, Rise of Gru did attract a massive under-25 demographic at 89%. Even more impressive is how Universal made a brand that was unhip, hip again for the 13-17 crowd, who showed up at 34%.

If 13-17 declined from 43% to 34% from Sat to Mon, there's no way under 25 went up from 75% to 89%

That's not to say the TTT’s didn’t give a big boost to the OW, but they weren’t the majority of it 

Edited by M37
adding info