charlie Jatinder

11-14 Weekday Thread | Featuring Future BOFFY Award Winning Meltdown of Our Fallen False God

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

I finally saw Elvis today. Good movie. Everyone in the theater was 60+. I'd say the trailer that played the best was Bros, that got a lot of laughter. 

I have absolutely no idea how Bros will perform or even who the target audience is, be it straight people who appreciate gay themed humor or gay people wanting representation on screen or some combination of the two. The film could bomb and I would not be surprised or the film could overperform and I would not be surprised either. The film has a clear lane if people are seeking a comedy of the rom com variety if that makes any difference. 

Thor - $12.182M  

Daily Domestic Chart for Monday July 11, 2022

Movie Title Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Days In
Release
1 (1) Thor: Love and Thunder $12,182,506 -63%   4,375 $2,785 $156,347,613 4
2 (2) Minions: The Rise of Gru $6,291,675 -55% -61% 4,427 $1,421 $216,948,660 11
3 (3) Top Gun: Maverick $2,041,252 -56% -68% 3,513 $581 $599,453,895 46
4 (4) Elvis $1,701,276 -52% -60% 3,714 $458 $93,005,049 18
5 (6) The Black Phone $1,131,140 -52% -41% 2,559 $442 $63,565,165 18

See the full daily chart

Edited by TwoMisfits

15 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I have absolutely no idea how Bros will perform or even who the target audience is, be it straight people who appreciate gay themed humor or gay people wanting representation on screen or some combination of the two. The film could bomb and I would not be surprised or the film could overperform and I would not be surprised either. The film has a clear lane if people are seeking a comedy of the rom com variety if that makes any difference. 

This whole all gay cast is just so stupid (i'm saying that as gay man myself). That should be really something appealing outside the verified bloggers on twitter?. The movie has any well know comedy star or actor. I would be very surprised to see it making more than 50M total, or is even too much?.

Plus the movie seems really explicit in terms of gags and gay sex. For personal experience i really know even people defining themselves as "open minded" are really non attrachted when the "gay thing" is too explicit. 

They  prefers an Heartstopper with the cute gays to Fire Island or Queer as folk with the real gays  talking about sex and being really gay. So i don't know.. 

Edited by vale9001

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

wow white people sure do love Top Gun 2

4 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

white people going to see Top Gun isn't surprising given that right wing media appropriated the movie to own the libs

lol at Batman's audience being almost 70% male

Those diversity demos are probably the closest to the racial demographics of the US as a whole, compared to every other movie on that list. So instead of 'white people love Top Gun', it's more "everyone loves Top Gun". 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

This whole all gay cast is just so stupid (i'm saying that as gay man myself). That should be really something appealing outside the verified bloggers on twitter?. The movie has any well know comedy star or actor. I would be very surprised to see it making more than 50M total, or is even too much?.

Plus the movie seems really explicit in terms of gags and gay sex. For personal experience i really know even people defining themselves as "open minded" are really non attrachted when the "gay thing" is too explicit. 

They  prefers an Heartstopper with the cute gays to Fire Island or Queer as folk with the real gays  talking about sex and being really gay. So i don't know.. 

Thats why Bros seems refreshing and the creator said he didn’t want to go down the vanilla route. 

As another gay man I can’t wait for it and my whole crowd are excited too. There’s literally never been anything like it from a major studio in cinemas. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Thats why Bros seems refreshing and the creator said he didn’t want to go down the vanilla route. 

As another gay man I can’t wait for it and my whole crowd are excited too. There’s literally never been anything like it from a major studio in cinemas. 

As a gay man myself who has always quite liked Billy Eichner… I’m split between these two opinions. 

I’m fine with the all gay actors, so long as they are good at acting. But, the overtly sexual sevens, the club scenes, etc is just so stereotypical gay and I am worried that this is going to be a story that 10% of the gay community can relate to while everyone else feels left out as usual. 

I'm willing to reserve my final thoughts until after seeing the movie in full, but I was a little disappointed in that regard by the trailer. 

Just now, VanillaSkies said:

As a gay man myself who has always quite liked Billy Eichner… I’m split between these two opinions. 

I’m fine with the all gay actors, so long as they are good at acting. But, the overtly sexual sevens, the club scenes, etc is just so stereotypical gay and I am worried that this is going to be a story that 10% of the gay community can relate to while everyone else feels left out as usual. 

I'm willing to reserve my final thoughts until after seeing the movie in full, but I was a little disappointed in that regard by the trailer. 

no one can represent everyone. I mean if it matters I'm queer myself. but I'm not stressing out over this movie.

Can't blame other people who do though. My point is that the movie is what it is. I don't know much about it, but if it's rated R, I guess it's going to be rated R. And if Bridesmaids can be what it is, why not Bros?

Just now, cannastop said:

no one can represent everyone. I mean if it matters I'm queer myself. but I'm not stressing out over this movie.

Can't blame other people who do though. My point is that the movie is what it is. I don't know much about it, but if it's rated R, I guess it's going to be rated R. And if Bridesmaids can be what it is, why not Bros?

Bridesmaids was arguably what it was because the movie had so much heart, which people connected to. The raunch was secondary to the story. I’ll be thrilled if Bros ends up being like that. I just didn’t see a lot in the trailer to indicate that… but again, I’m reserving final judgement until after I’ve seen the whole thing. 

My point was mostly to say I see both of your opinions and am kind of in the fence between both. 

8 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Bridesmaids was arguably what it was because the movie had so much heart, which people connected to. The raunch was secondary to the story. I’ll be thrilled if Bros ends up being like that. I just didn’t see a lot in the trailer to indicate that… but again, I’m reserving final judgement until after I’ve seen the whole thing. 

My point was mostly to say I see both of your opinions and am kind of in the fence between both. 

Did the Bridesmaids trailer indicate any heart in it?

Edit:  Just rewatched it and it ended on McCarthy burping and saying she doesn't know which end it came out of...

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 2

Yeah, with a weekday level this week in the low 2s I'm also thinking 700 is out for top gun, and that's counting on a labor day expansion where it adds another 15-ish million from there to the end the way jurassic world did.  Last week it looked like a real possibility after the holiday lasted through tuesday and even wednesday came in really strong.