grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

24 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

They didn't cover [...] his dying on a toilet.

Zero stars.

Thanks for the spoilers, you arse. That as a post-credit scene was the only reason I was gonna go tomorrow. Cancelled my booking now.

• Haha 1

Just now, Torontofan said:

The thing is a lot of the phase 3 marvel movies built up to something phase 4 just seems random nonsense 

Randomness (or variety) by itself is not bad. But if it's also nonsense (which they have been for the most part), then it's worse. It is definitely accentuated by the fact that the MCU brand was built by this idea of cohesion and continuity. Now the "randomness" doesn't come across as just various directors playing around with individual ideas, but rather a lack of cohesive vision. It just seems like everyone there has gotten bored. If this keeps up, then this phase of the MCU might be a victim of its own previous success.

Just now, Shawn said:

This community started at a time when early numbers didn't come until Saturday and there were no such as things as preview grosses except for the occasional midnight show. 

Are numbers fun to have? Sure. Are they the most important thing? No. These forums wouldn't still be around without the conversations, friendships, and rivalries that form during the busy and slow times of the box office.

Given the choice to have numbers provided by someone with a toxic attitude toward a community that's close to 20 years old versus getting later numbers without that kind of personality poisoning the vibe... it's a clear cut decision. Veterans here know it's a matter of time before someone else steps in and leaks that info anyway.

Come for the numbers, stay for the people. That's a foreign idea to some, but not to the heart of this place.

Well put. Personally, I think a few extra hours waiting for numbers and that potentially translating into a delay when it comes to the conversations about the numbers really isn't the end of the world. There will still be plenty of supposition before numbers drop and the discussions will continue after they do appear.

Add to that the amazing tracking thread, and I think there's plenty here for anyone "strictly looking for numbers discussion".

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shawn said:

This community started at a time when early numbers didn't come until Saturday and there were no such things as preview grosses, except for the occasional midnight show, to guide early weekend discussion.

Are numbers fun to have? Sure. Are they the most important thing? No. These forums wouldn't still be around without the conversations, friendships, and rivalries that form during the busy and slow times of the box office.

Given the choice to have numbers provided by someone with a toxic attitude toward a community that's close to 20 years old versus getting later numbers without that kind of personality poisoning the vibe... it's a clear cut decision. Veterans here know it's a matter of time before someone else steps in and leaks that info anyway.

Come for the numbers, stay for the people. That's a foreign idea to some, but not to the heart of this place.

YOU MUST PERSONALLY APOLOGIZE OTHERWISE WE WILL NEVER HAVE OUR GOD KING RETURN

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

The thing is a lot of the phase 3 marvel movies built up to something phase 4 just seems random nonsense 

These movies(MoM & LAT) would have performed worse than what they did if they had given clarity/direction bcz there is no certainty that Doctor Strange and Thor will be the focus of next big storyline. A lot of hype of MoM was bcz of the assumption that Doctor Strange is the new MCU lead. They are actually protecting box office of movies of already established MCU characters by not giving any direction.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Studio#s

TGM: 3.4

Paws: 2.41

Marcel: 176,540

5 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Minions 8.13

TBP 1.62

JWD 1.41

Harris 700

If Marcel's ratios play out the same as last weekend, I'll have nailed the estimate ($550K).

Poor drop for JWD, might not hit $5M. 

Everything else is in line with expectations. 

Edited by StormbreakerXXR

7 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Studio#s

TGM: 3.4

Paws: 2.41

Marcel: 176,540

That's another really good expansion for Marcel. A24 has another mini-sensation on their hands, wonder if it can approach double digits with the summer starting to wind down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

If Marcel's ratios play out the same as last weekend, I'll have nailed the estimate for the weekend ($550K).

Poor drop for JWD, might not hit $5M. 

Everything else is in line with expectations. 

Probably more previews in that fri than last week, would guess slightly lower IM

Just now, harrisonisdead said:

Ah, thought it was in like 400 or something. Good PTA in that case!

It's interesting how slow the rollout has been for this, even by pre-pandemic standards, but I figure trying to get to full strength in time for a barren August may really help it out. WOM seems extremely good for it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Minions 8.13

TBP 1.62

JWD 1.41

Harris 700

So about a $5-$5.2 million weekend for JWD for about a 41% drop from last weekend, which doesn't seem too bad. Though that is following the same increases and decreases as it's third weekend when it also had a 56% increase on Friday but a 45% increase on Saturday. Maybe this weekend the Saturday increase would be more for a higher weekend number.

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I've at least liked practically everything Resident Evil (the games, the Anderson movies, the new reboot movie). This might geniunely be the first RE thing I hate.

I'm assuming it was because that scene really hit close to home. :sadno:  I get it, don't worry.