grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

23 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I agree that Thor's tally won't be great (especially WW), but beating Ragnarok domestically definitely not a disaster. Any time a film becomes the best grosser in the franchise is not a disaster. Suppose Minions are a disaster as well if it doesn't hit 336m domestically?

Thor is different we expected 180 opening 450 Dom but for minions 70 opening 200 dom.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doffy said:

Thor is different we expected 180 opening 450 Dom but for minions 70 opening 200 dom.

Those are terrible expectations. Just because you were bad at predicting, doesn't mean that it's a disaster if the film doesn't meet those expectations. Minions grossed more than Ragnarok, so expecting 250m difference is sheer lunacy. The two films are going to end up in the same range, so you can't call one a major hit and the other a disaster based on where the franchises are. Minions is a huge success domestically, Thor is a mild one. No disasters here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

14 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Ugly drop for Thor 4, as expected. I'm really curious how Marvel ends up responding to all this. Do they reboot Thor again in a tone closer to the first film?

First movie was eh as well. Reboot in tone closer to IW.

Exact same can be said for strange as a matter of fact.

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Those are terrible expectations. Just because you were bad at predicting, doesn't mean that it's a disaster if the film doesn't meet those expectations. Minions grossed more than Ragnarok, so expecting 250m difference is sheer lunacy. The two films are going to end up in the same range, so you can't call one a major hit and the other a disaster based on where the franchises are. Minions is a huge success domestically, Thor is a mild one. No disasters here.

Sounds like you're the one who's bad at predicting tbh 

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Minions was poorly received and the Despicable Me franchise has been declining with every entry with the exception of DM -> DM2, thor comes off a very well received ragnarok and a lot of spotlight in IW/EG, I don't really get why you think the expectations for M2 and Thor L&T should have been the same just because their prequels grossed similarly.

Thor was definitely going to gross way more than it is doing currently if its reception didn't stink.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Again you are just explaining why you had high expectations. If LT beats Ragnarok, that's a mild success, you can't spin that any other way. Minions poorly received? Like it matters for that kind of a film. It grossed over 1 billion, same with DM3, this is no small franchise. Actually it's a bigger franchise than Thor and was expected to gross more WW.

Also have you not read the reviews for Thor? There were plenty of reports that it's not good and that the WoM is mixed at best, so anyone expecting 180m opening and 400m after that just an evidence for bad box office prediction. Quality wise it's an average franchise, 1 good film and 3 average/bad films. So the numbers it's getting is pretty much in line with the quality it produces. No surprises here.  

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I agree that Thor's tally won't be great (especially WW), but beating Ragnarok domestically definitely not a disaster. Any time a film becomes the best grosser in the franchise is not a disaster. Suppose Minions are a disaster as well if it doesn't hit 336m domestically?

Given the increase in budget not quite a rousing success to just barely beat 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It's just 🥱

Crawdads - 4.9 + 2.3 = 7.2

Fury - 1.85 + 0.5 = 2.35

These full day previews are skewing things up badly. 

7.2 + 4.7 + 3.1 = 15M OW?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

He is never coming back after that meltdown. Never.

Did he have another meltdown that i missed or are we speaking about the original meltdown? Because last time ic though he was suspended for 2 months, not 3?

I don’t think EC will be giving public early nums until BP2 at least. If he’s picked a fight with ERC or somebody over it beforehand, might not be able to resist dunking on them ASAP on the basis on early nums.

10 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Given the increase in budget not quite a rousing success to just barely beat 3.

No one said it is. It's a mild success. I'm just merely pointing out that the disaster narrative is false. You guys had awfully wrong high predictions.

9 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

It's a double digit % fall in admits for that matter.

Same can be said for Minions. The final domestic tally will be healthy for Thor. How can it move forward after the mixed WoM of LT is a different story. Personally I wouldn't mind not seeing yet another average entry for this franchise. Just stop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

No one said it is. It's a mild success. I'm just merely pointing out that the disaster narrative is false. You guys had awfully wrong high predictions.

Mild success financially, pretty bad compared to reasonable predictions. It sounds like you had too low expectations which is making it look better than it is. 

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Same can be said for Minions

Uhh…. Yes. So it will be quite fair to point out that the performance is a bit worse than Minions 1 even if it beats it nominally.

Just love how @The Dark Alfred keeps shifting goal posts.

First it was 140m is terrific opening , Don't get me wrong 20m+ OW from the previous movie is good but the internal multi was just bad. Should have been an easy 155M+ with 29m previews.

Now under ragnarok with a 144m opening weekend being termed as fine is ridiculous . Those would be shit legs .

That would be nothing short of a disappointment .

Minions comp is pointless . After the slop 2 and sing 2 drops WW ,Box office prospects were looking tamer this time around. Thought it was a 260m at best .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Yeah like maybe 500/1.1bn predictions.

400-450/900-950m seem reasonable enough and it's probably not even  gonna sniff 800m now!!!

• Like 2