Cap

MARVEL STUDIOS PRESENTS SAN DIEGO COMIC CON | THURSDAY: WWE PANEL | FRIDAY: LOTRs | SATURDAY: KEVIN | SUNDAY: BARGAINING SHOPPING | WE'RE BACK, BAY BEE.

14 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Ms. Grimes hyping the Magneto Was Right era that will be the future of the X-Men across media

People not knowing the X-Men is about racism and homophobia until recently highlights why allegory based kids stories are complete failures.

Kids take these stories at face value and grow up ignoring whatever lesson the creators were trying to instil. Did kids conclude that Shark Tale was about father not accepting his gay son or about a daddy shark not accepting his vegetarian son? Did the kids that read stories of an Evangelical preachers' violent persecution of the X-Men mutants during the intolerant 80's go to school and become less homophobic?

49 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

As a huge Lord of the Rings fan, I really wish I could get excited for Rings of Power, but instead I've had a bad taste in my mouth since the first trailer. I'm worried Amazon has messed it up, but I genuinely hope that it ends up being excellent, and that reviews will change my perspective.

I will certainly watch at least the first episode or two, regardless, and I hope it will draw me in and impress me.

Peace,

Mike

I fear a tumultuous discord coming in the Great Music.

Edited by Ozymandias

12 minutes ago, AJG said:

People not knowing the X-Men is about racism and homophobia until recently highlights why allegory based kids stories are complete failures.

Kids take these stories at face value and grow up ignoring whatever lesson the creators were trying to instil. Did kids conclude that Shark Tale was about father not accepting his gay son or about a daddy shark not accepting his vegetarian son? Did the kids that read stories of an Evangelical preachers' violent persecution of the X-Men mutants during the intolerant 80's go to school and become less homophobic?

Yeah, you really need to come out and say it straight, like Superman vs the KKK. The more you cover something in allegory the more people are going to miss it.

edit: That said, there are going to be people who miss it anyway, like some idjits accusing Star Trek of suddenly being woke. Or being surprised that the machine Rage Against The Machine was raging against wasn't a microwave.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

I read X-men comics when I was around 10 or 11. The bigotry analogy was quite obvious and helped me deal with bigotry in the real world.

Is every allegory obvious? No but I think children can gain a sense of justice which they take with them into adulthood.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So people are claiming in the LOTR books there are no black elves or dwarves.

Do the books explicitly state this? That would be weird. 

Only the Elves are described as very fair, meaning really white.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Yeah, you really need to come out and say it straight, like Superman vs the KKK. The more you cover something in allegory the more people are going to miss it.

edit: That said, there are going to be people who miss it anyway, like some idjits accusing Star Trek of suddenly being woke. Or being surprised that the machine Rage Against The Machine was raging against wasn't a microwave.

It’s like the people not knowing that Get Out is lampooning white liberals and their fucked up views about black people. 

10 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Only the Elves are described as very fair, meaning really white.

"The Elves were the fairest creatures in Arda, a far more beautiful race than Men, and generally tall (about six feet)."

Hmm. This seems to imply the whitest people are more beautiful than everyone else.

I'm not sure why that racism shouldn't be resolved in a current telling.

Why can't the elves just be tall and beautiful to imply supremacy?

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, MikeQ said:

As a huge Lord of the Rings fan, I really wish I could get excited for Rings of Power, but instead I've had a bad taste in my mouth since the first trailer. I'm worried Amazon has messed it up, but I genuinely hope that it ends up being excellent, and that reviews will change my perspective.

I will certainly watch at least the first episode or two, regardless, and I hope it will draw me in and impress me.

Peace,

Mike

I am skeptical of anything that is not rooted in what Tolkien actually wrote, and this pretty much a complete spinoff. There are only a couple of paragraphs on the Forging of the Rings in the Appendix, and they are just for background.

I fully suspect this will end up being just another Sword and Sorcery series, though set in Middle Earth. And that is not nearly good enough.

Now if they were going to do a series based on the Simrallion, that would be interesting. But the Tolkein estate is refusing to sell the rights to that, and that gives no signs of changing anytime soon.

Re LOTR fans: When somebody says how big a LOTR fan they are, I ask one question:"Have You Read The Novel?". If they say no, I write them off as wannabes.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am skeptical of anything that is not rooted in what Tolkien actually wrote, and this pretty much a complete spinoff. There are only a couple of paragraphs on the Forging of the Rings in the Appendix, and they are just for background.

I fully suspect this will end up being just another Sword and Sorcery series, though set in Middle Earth. And that is not nearly good enough.

Now if they were going to do a series based on the Simrallion, that would be interesting. But the Tolkein estate is refusing to sell the rights to that, and that gives no signs of changing anytime soon.

Re LOTR fans: When somebody says how big a LOTR fan they are, I ask one question:"Have You Read The Novel?". If they say no, I write them off as wannabes.

All great points.

My dad gave me his copy of The Lord of the Rings when I was 12 (before the films), which I read and fell in love with. I still remember how it felt when Gandalf died, and then when I excitedly ran to my dad after he returned as Gandalf the White (and how excited my Dad was for me, knowing what was going to happen).

I still have this copy of the book - it's a really nice hardcover "Deluxe Edition" published in 1984 on India paper, so the book is only about an inch thick. The book has some wear to it now, but still in decent shape. I treasure it, as my Dad has since passed.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 4