The Panda

BOT in the Multi-Verse of Madness: Countdown of the DEFINITIVE Top 250 Movies of All-Time (2022 Edition)

558b18a3900d1de949341243856fe9c2.gif

Number 4

UknpCGD.png

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

About the Film

Synopsis

"Spanning the years 1945 to 1955, a chronicle of the fictional Italian-American Corleone crime family. When organized crime family patriarch, Vito Corleone barely survives an attempt on his life, his youngest son, Michael steps in to take care of the would-be killers, launching a campaign of bloody revenge."

ThisJitteryArgentinehornedfrog-size_rest

Its Legacy

"Like millions of other people around the world, I have been obsessed by The Godfather trilogy. I wanted to write about that. And, then, as I started writing about the films, I realized that I also wanted to write about other films depicting Italian-Americans and how horrible the stereotypes were. That made me start thinking about the journey that immigrants had made coming to America, the whys behind the journey and really the history of the mob. I started thinking about my own life, and I thought, I want to make this, in part, a memoir because I am half-Italian and half-English. There was a pull, because I had a very Italian name growing up in a very Anglo world.

When I saw The Godfather: Part II, and when ten minutes into the film there is the image of the young Vito on board the ship coming to America and passing by the Statue of Liberty, all of a sudden the light bulb went off. That image brought home to me my grandfather’s journey and how brave, at age 13, he was arriving here alone. At age 13, I was in a private school running around wearing my uniform and school tie, so removed from his experience. So it became not just a movie I loved as a movie lover, but a very personal depiction of the American journey for me.

The film changed Hollywood because it finally changed the way Italians were depicted on film. It made Italians seem like more fully realized people and not stereotypes. It was a film in Hollywood made by Italians about Italians. Previously, it had not been Italians making the mobster films featuring Italian gangsters.

I feel it helped Italianize American culture. All of a sudden, everyone was talking about Don Corleone and making jokes about, “I am going to make you an offer you can’t refuse.” I think it helped people see that in this depiction of Italian-Americans was a reflection of their own immigrant experience, whether they were Irish or Jews from Eastern Europe. They found that common ground. Then, of course, it changed me because when I saw what I felt was my grandfather on that ship coming to America, it was as if I was fully embracing my Italian-ness. I had never really felt Italian until then.

tumblr_muqdl0VBGJ1sgvca7o1_500.gifv

Italian-Americans are very sensitive about their image in movies because it has traditionally been so negative, as either mobsters or rather simple-minded peasants who talk-a like-a this-a. I don’t like these stereotypical images, and yet, I love these films so much. I think the vast majority of Italians have come to accept and actually embrace the film because I think the genius of the film, besides the fact that it is so beautifully shot and edited, is that these are mobsters doing terrible things, but permeating all of it is the sense of family and the sense of love. Where I feel that is completely encapsulated is in the scene toward the end of the first film when Don Corleone [Marlon Brando] and Michael Corleone [Al Pacino] are in the garden. It is really the transfer of power from father to son. Don Corleone has that speech: “I never wanted this for you.” I wanted you to be Senator Corleone. They are talking about horrible deeds. They are talking about transferring mob power. The father is warning the son about who is going to betray him. But you don’t even really remember that is what the scene is about. What you remember is that it is a father expressing his love for his son, and vice versa. That is what comes across in that crucial scene, and that is why I feel that overrides the stereotypical portrayal that others object to.

I think it squashed the idea that Italians were uneducated and that Italians all spoke with heavy accents. Even though Michael is a gangster, you still see Michael as the one who went to college, pursued an education and that Italians made themselves a part of the New World. These were mobsters, but these were fully developed, real human beings. These were not the organ grinder with his monkey or a completely illiterate gangster. It is an odd thing. I think to this day there are still some people who view the Italian as the “other”—somebody who is not American, who is so foreign. In films like Scarface [1932], the Italians are presented almost like creatures from another planet. They are so exotic and speak so terribly and wear such awful clothes. The Godfather showed that is not the case. In the descendant of The Godfather, which is of course “The Sopranos,” once again the characters are mobsters. But they are the mobsters living next door in suburban New Jersey, so it undercuts a bit that sense of Italian as the “other.”"

- Tom Santopietro, author of the Godfather Effect

From the Filmmaker

Why It's Great

Critic Opinion

"The artistic achievements of both the literary and the movie version of the "Saga" seem therefore more uneven and nebulous than its social ones. It is true that they brought to the foreground for the first time the indisputable fact that the Mafia could never have gathered the strength it needed to prosper without the connivance of the political and financial structures of the system, showing that in this country it developed into a new institution modeled on the organizational statutes of the big corporation. But as long as the analysis is not brought deep into the heart of the structures sustaining both the corporation and the Mafia as oppressive and alienating institutions, we are bound to remain in an ambiguous zone in which condemnation and exaltation are confused and confusing.

72ZR.gif

In this zone, the Mafia receives a patina of luster that makes the mark of infamy that relentlessly smeared a whole ethnic group in the country of self-determination look tolerable and even acceptable. What I find disconcerting about The Godfather is its portrayal of a world totally pessimistic regarding human nature and society. Even though the work has to be seen, as I pointed out before, as genetically justified by the deep crisis which made it possible, it was also generated in a moment when a new American conscience seemed to be on the rise. At the instant when Michael Corleone decides to become the new "don," any possible alternative was wiped out. Along with this alternative, Puzo (and consequently Coppola) lost the only vehicle that would have  allowed him to get out of the grey zone of ambiguous alibis and attain truth instead of certainty; a vehicle that would have allowed him to give us a dispassionate and courageous analysis of both the Mafia and the corporation, instead of a fresco glorifying the family "gestes." Puzo refused to go that far; as I said, he simply did not have the guts. He knew very well that in order to give us the truth about the Mafia and the whole brotherhood of its associates, he would have to go beyond the New York police force and beyond the occasional judge and the occasional politician. Thus the Mafia, even elevated to the rank of a corporation, remains as mysterious as ever. The mystery will never be solved as long as we do not have the guts to go and uncover its true origins in this country, back to that Little Italy which was not as idyllic as Coppola's Mulberry Street and San Gennaro's fireworks would like us to believe a Little Italy that was much more monstrous and infinitely more tender, as was the untold life of Vito Corleone."

- Giovanni Sinicropi, Italian Americana

Public Opinion

"Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather is regarded as one of the greatest films of all time, and it truly deserves this title. Although long, at almost three hours, it keeps you engrossed through its entirety. Personally, I am not a huge fan of mafia films and television (although maybe I just haven't watched the right ones). The likes of Goodfellas and Boardwalk Empire were kind of a drag for me and the long running times of most of the "greats" really put me off. But The Godfather was an excellent experience. Marlon Brando steals every scene he is in, which is impressive considering the talent of the cast surrounding him. Micheal's turn towards the family business is engrossing and the weight it puts on his shoulders make him an enormously interesting character, supported by a great performance by Al Pacino. John Cazale is also a delight. His portrayal of Fredo is, again, excellent and his arc away from the family contrasts the arc of Michael towards it. The film is shot beautifully and the sets are rich with character.

godfather-gif.gif

I think the US Film Registry sums it up best; The Godfather is "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." Overall, I would give the movie an A+." - @aabattery

The Poetic Opinion

the godfather

"This is the tale of the greatest gangster on earth.
A price on his head from even before birth.
As a child he taught teachers, as a man he cursed the church.
He left his hometown in turmoil, when he started his walk.
Astonishing many by who he called to his flock.
You heard the term curse like a sailor? Most came from the dock.
Even a tax collector joined the crew.
One dozen heavy hitters guarding the talking Jew.
Who said he was of the father and his father made the rules.
"Your body is your temple" he said the church is a house of fools".
Word traveled quickly, even faster was their fame.
Warrants in every kingdom for every member of The gang.
He spoke against money and churches and taught us to be l eary of kings.
Sometimes you've got to defy the authorities and do the right thing.
To yourself always be honest because he watches above,
the greatest gangster in history
"The Godfather of Love"."

- barberhead

QJmd.gif

Factoids

Previous Rankings

#6 (2020), #9 (2018), #4 (2016), #6 (2014), #8 (2013) #16 (2012)

Director Count

Steven Spielberg (7), James Cameron (4), Christopher Nolan (4), Martin Scorsese (4), Francis Ford Coppola (3), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Stanley Kubrick (3),  Hayao Miyazaki (3), Ridley Scott (3), Brad Bird (2), John Carpenter (2), David Fincher (2), Spike Lee (2), Sergio Leone (2), The Russos (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Peter Weir (2), Billy Wilder (2), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John G. Avildsen (1), Frank Capra (1), Charlie Chaplin (1), Brenda Chapman (1), Joel Coen (1), Wes Craven (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Frank Darabont (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Pete Doctor (1), Stanley Donan (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), William Friedkin (1), Terry Gillam (1), Michel Gondry (1), Steve Hickner (1), Peter Jackson (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Bong Joon Ho (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Richard Linklater (1), George Lucas (1) Sydney Lumet (1), Katia Lund (1), David Lynch (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), Katsuhiro Otomo (1), Jan Pinkava (1), Makoto Shinkai (1), Vittorio de Sica (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), Lee Unkrich (1), Gore Verbinski (1), Orson Welles (1), Simon Wells (1), Kirk Wise (1), Kar-Wai Wong (1)

Decade Count

1930s (2), 1940s (4), 1950s (6), 1960s (7), 1970s (11), 1980s (12), 1990s (21), 2000s (21), 2010s (10)

giphy.gif

Country Count

Japan (7), Italy (3), UK (2), Australia (1), Brazil (1), China (1), Mexico (1), Spain (1), South Korea (1)

Franchise Count

Pixar (6), Ghibli (5), Star Wars (3), Alien (2), The Godfather (2), The MCU (2), WDAS (2), Avatar (1), Back to the Future (1), Batman (1) Before (1), Blade Runner (1), Dollars (1), E.T. (1), The Exorcist (1), Finding Nemo (1), Hannibal (1), Halloween (1), Incredibles (1), Indiana Jones (1), Jaws (1), Jurassic Park (1), The Lion King (1), Mad Max (1), Middle Earth (1), Pirates of the Caribbean (1), Rocky (1), Scream (1), The Shining (1), Terminator (1), Thing (1), Toy Story (1), The Wizard of Oz (1)

Re-Weighted Placements

#11 Fanboy Ranking, #2 Cinema Ranking

#1 Old Farts Ranking, #7 Damn Kids Ranking

#3 Ambassador Ranking, #4 All-American Ranking

#6 Cartoon Ranking, #4 Damn Boomer Ranking

• Like 18

the-return-of-the-king-lord-of-the-rings

Number 3

pmOqiIi.png

"White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

About the Film

Synopsis

"Aragorn is revealed as the heir to the ancient kings as he, Gandalf and the other members of the broken fellowship struggle to save Gondor from Sauron’s forces. Meanwhile, Frodo and Sam take the ring closer to the heart of Mordor, the dark lord’s realm."

BdDxTPV.gif

Its Legacy

Ending 1

Ending 2

ending 3

ending 4

ending 5

ending 6

And so on!

From the Filmmaker

Why It's Great

Critic Opinion

"At last the full arc is visible, and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy comes into final focus. I admire it more as a whole than in its parts. The second film was inconclusive, and lost its way in the midst of spectacle. But "Return of the King" dispatches its characters to their destinies with a grand and eloquent confidence. This is the best of the three, redeems the earlier meandering, and certifies the "Ring" trilogy as a work of bold ambition at a time of cinematic timidity.

That it falls a little shy of greatness is perhaps inevitable. The story is just a little too silly to carry the emotional weight of a masterpiece. It is a melancholy fact that while the visionaries of a generation ago, like Coppola with "Apocalypse Now," tried frankly to make films of great consequence, an equally ambitious director like Peter Jackson is aiming more for popular success. The epic fantasy has displaced real contemporary concerns, and audiences are much more interested in Middle Earth than in the world they inhabit.

WideMagnificentAsiansmallclawedotter-siz

Still, Jackson's achievement cannot be denied. "Return of the King" is such a crowning achievement, such a visionary use of all the tools of special effects, such a pure spectacle, that it can be enjoyed even by those who have not seen the first two films. Yes, they will be adrift during the early passages of the film's 200 minutes, but to be adrift occasionally during this nine-hour saga comes with the territory; Tolkien's story is so sweeping and Jackson includes so much of it that only devoted students of the Ring can be sure they understand every character, relationship and plot point.

The third film gathers all of the plot strands and guides them toward the great battle at Minas Tirith; it is "before these walls, that the doom of our time will be decided." The city is a spectacular achievement by the special- effects artisans, who show it as part fortress, part Emerald City, topping a mountain, with a buttress reaching out over the plain below where the battle will be joined. In a scene where Gandalf rides his horse across the drawbridge and up the ramped streets of the city, it's remarkable how seamlessly Jackson is able to integrate computer-generated shots with actual full-scale shots, so they all seem of a piece."

- Roger Ebert

Public Opinion

"The film has never hit me as hard as it did tonight. Seeing this on the biggest screen possible, with the grandest audio I can get was wonderful. Yes, it's long, and takes a long time to end. But those emotional beats hit so hard." - @SchumacherFTW

The Poetic Opinion

the road goes ever on

"The Road goes ever on and on,
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."

- JRR Tolkien

tumblr_mlgz0qy8zB1snjze5o1_500.gifv

Factoids

Previous Rankings

#17 (2020), #6 (2018), #8 (2016), #4 (2013), #15 (2013), #9 (2013)

Director Count

Steven Spielberg (7), James Cameron (4), Christopher Nolan (4), Martin Scorsese (4), Francis Ford Coppola (3), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Stanley Kubrick (3),  Hayao Miyazaki (3), Ridley Scott (3), Brad Bird (2), John Carpenter (2), David Fincher (2), Peter Jackson (2),  =Spike Lee (2), Sergio Leone (2), The Russos (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Peter Weir (2), Billy Wilder (2), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John G. Avildsen (1), Frank Capra (1), Charlie Chaplin (1), Brenda Chapman (1), Joel Coen (1), Wes Craven (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Frank Darabont (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Pete Doctor (1), Stanley Donan (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), William Friedkin (1), Terry Gillam (1), Michel Gondry (1), Steve Hickner (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Bong Joon Ho (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Richard Linklater (1), George Lucas (1) Sydney Lumet (1), Katia Lund (1), David Lynch (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), Katsuhiro Otomo (1), Jan Pinkava (1), Makoto Shinkai (1), Vittorio de Sica (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), Lee Unkrich (1), Gore Verbinski (1), Orson Welles (1), Simon Wells (1), Kirk Wise (1), Kar-Wai Wong (1)

Decade Count

1930s (2), 1940s (4), 1950s (6), 1960s (7), 1970s (11), 1980s (12), 1990s (21), 2000s (22), 2010s (10)

Country Count

Japan (7), Italy (3), UK (2), Australia (1), Brazil (1), China (1), Mexico (1), Spain (1), South Korea (1)

y31X30.gif

Franchise Count

Pixar (6), Ghibli (5), Star Wars (3), Alien (2), The Godfather (2), The MCU (2), Middle Earth (2), WDAS (2), Avatar (1), Back to the Future (1), Batman (1) Before (1), Blade Runner (1), Dollars (1), E.T. (1), The Exorcist (1), Finding Nemo (1), Hannibal (1), Halloween (1), Incredibles (1), Indiana Jones (1), Jaws (1), Jurassic Park (1), The Lion King (1), Mad Max (1), Pirates of the Caribbean (1), Rocky (1), Scream (1), The Shining (1), Terminator (1), Thing (1), Toy Story (1), The Wizard of Oz (1)

Re-Weighted Placements

#2 Fanboy Ranking, #4 Cinema Ranking

#18 Old Farts Ranking, #2 Damn Kids Ranking

#5 Ambassador Ranking, #3 All-American Ranking

#2 Cartoon Ranking, #3 Damn Boomer Ranking

giphy.gif

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

24 minutes ago, The Panda said:

the-return-of-the-king-lord-of-the-rings

Number 3

pmOqiIi.png

"White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

About the Film

Synopsis

"Aragorn is revealed as the heir to the ancient kings as he, Gandalf and the other members of the broken fellowship struggle to save Gondor from Sauron’s forces. Meanwhile, Frodo and Sam take the ring closer to the heart of Mordor, the dark lord’s realm."

BdDxTPV.gif

Its Legacy

Ending 1

Ending 2

ending 3

ending 4

ending 5

ending 6

And so on!

From the Filmmaker

Why It's Great

Critic Opinion

"At last the full arc is visible, and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy comes into final focus. I admire it more as a whole than in its parts. The second film was inconclusive, and lost its way in the midst of spectacle. But "Return of the King" dispatches its characters to their destinies with a grand and eloquent confidence. This is the best of the three, redeems the earlier meandering, and certifies the "Ring" trilogy as a work of bold ambition at a time of cinematic timidity.

That it falls a little shy of greatness is perhaps inevitable. The story is just a little too silly to carry the emotional weight of a masterpiece. It is a melancholy fact that while the visionaries of a generation ago, like Coppola with "Apocalypse Now," tried frankly to make films of great consequence, an equally ambitious director like Peter Jackson is aiming more for popular success. The epic fantasy has displaced real contemporary concerns, and audiences are much more interested in Middle Earth than in the world they inhabit.

WideMagnificentAsiansmallclawedotter-siz

Still, Jackson's achievement cannot be denied. "Return of the King" is such a crowning achievement, such a visionary use of all the tools of special effects, such a pure spectacle, that it can be enjoyed even by those who have not seen the first two films. Yes, they will be adrift during the early passages of the film's 200 minutes, but to be adrift occasionally during this nine-hour saga comes with the territory; Tolkien's story is so sweeping and Jackson includes so much of it that only devoted students of the Ring can be sure they understand every character, relationship and plot point.

The third film gathers all of the plot strands and guides them toward the great battle at Minas Tirith; it is "before these walls, that the doom of our time will be decided." The city is a spectacular achievement by the special- effects artisans, who show it as part fortress, part Emerald City, topping a mountain, with a buttress reaching out over the plain below where the battle will be joined. In a scene where Gandalf rides his horse across the drawbridge and up the ramped streets of the city, it's remarkable how seamlessly Jackson is able to integrate computer-generated shots with actual full-scale shots, so they all seem of a piece."

- Roger Ebert

Public Opinion

"The film has never hit me as hard as it did tonight. Seeing this on the biggest screen possible, with the grandest audio I can get was wonderful. Yes, it's long, and takes a long time to end. But those emotional beats hit so hard." - @SchumacherFTW

The Poetic Opinion

the road goes ever on

"The Road goes ever on and on,
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."

- JRR Tolkien

tumblr_mlgz0qy8zB1snjze5o1_500.gifv

Factoids

Previous Rankings

#17 (2020), #6 (2018), #8 (2016), #4 (2013), #15 (2013), #9 (2013)

Director Count

Steven Spielberg (7), James Cameron (4), Christopher Nolan (4), Martin Scorsese (4), Francis Ford Coppola (3), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Stanley Kubrick (3),  Hayao Miyazaki (3), Ridley Scott (3), Brad Bird (2), John Carpenter (2), David Fincher (2), Peter Jackson (2),  =Spike Lee (2), Sergio Leone (2), The Russos (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Peter Weir (2), Billy Wilder (2), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John G. Avildsen (1), Frank Capra (1), Charlie Chaplin (1), Brenda Chapman (1), Joel Coen (1), Wes Craven (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Frank Darabont (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Pete Doctor (1), Stanley Donan (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), William Friedkin (1), Terry Gillam (1), Michel Gondry (1), Steve Hickner (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Bong Joon Ho (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Richard Linklater (1), George Lucas (1) Sydney Lumet (1), Katia Lund (1), David Lynch (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), Katsuhiro Otomo (1), Jan Pinkava (1), Makoto Shinkai (1), Vittorio de Sica (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), Lee Unkrich (1), Gore Verbinski (1), Orson Welles (1), Simon Wells (1), Kirk Wise (1), Kar-Wai Wong (1)

Decade Count

1930s (2), 1940s (4), 1950s (6), 1960s (7), 1970s (11), 1980s (12), 1990s (21), 2000s (22), 2010s (10)

Country Count

y31X30.gif

Franchise Count

Pixar (6), Ghibli (5), Star Wars (3), Alien (2), The Godfather (2), The MCU (2), Middle Earth (2), WDAS (2), Avatar (1), Back to the Future (1), Batman (1) Before (1), Blade Runner (1), Dollars (1), E.T. (1), The Exorcist (1), Finding Nemo (1), Hannibal (1), Halloween (1), Incredibles (1), Indiana Jones (1), Jaws (1), Jurassic Park (1), The Lion King (1), Mad Max (1), Pirates of the Caribbean (1), Rocky (1), Scream (1), The Shining (1), Terminator (1), Thing (1), Toy Story (1), The Wizard of Oz (1)

Re-Weighted Placements

#2 Fanboy Ranking, #4 Cinema Ranking

#18 Old Farts Ranking, #2 Damn Kids Ranking

#5 Ambassador Ranking, #3 All-American Ranking

#2 Cartoon Ranking, #3 Damn Boomer Ranking

giphy.gif

obligatory rotk gif

LSMPYPY.gif

• Thanks 1

giphy.gif

Number 2

MoZz3NO.png

you-shall-not-pass-lord-of-the-rings.gif

Number 1

OOKbNww.png

About the Films

Synopsis: Empire

"The epic saga continues as Luke Skywalker, in hopes of defeating the evil Galactic Empire, learns the ways of the Jedi from aging master Yoda. But Darth Vader is more determined than ever to capture Luke. Meanwhile, rebel leader Princess Leia, cocky Han Solo, Chewbacca, and droids C-3PO and R2-D2 are thrown into various stages of capture, betrayal and despair."

RSw4.gif

Synopsis: Fellowship

"Young hobbit Frodo Baggins, after inheriting a mysterious ring from his uncle Bilbo, must leave his home in order to keep it from falling into the hands of its evil creator. Along the way, a fellowship is formed to protect the ringbearer and make sure that the ring arrives at its final destination: Mt. Doom, the only place where it can be destroyed."

lord-of-the-rings-boromir.gif

Dueling Legacies

empire-strikes.gif

"Shortly after the release of the final installment of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, the film critic Caryn James pondered in these very pages whether women were “just bored” when it came to Peter Jackson’s blockbuster films.

“Any movie so popular has to grab an audience across all lines of age and sex,” James wrote. “But both demographic and empirical evidence suggests that the trilogy is still primarily a boys’ toy.” Whether women at that time felt enthralled or bored with these films, which began 20 years ago this month with “The Fellowship of the Ring,” isn’t for me to say. But I know that I, then a 13-year-old girl, and my 12-year-old sister, loved the story of Sam and Frodo and their quest to destroy the One Ring. And we weren’t alone.

“I was obsessed with the DVDs,” Karen Han, 29, a TV and film writer based in Los Angeles, said. “I think it was pretty much every holiday, I would watch all three movies in a day and do a marathon, and I would do that pretty much every year.”

For a certain subset of Millennial women, the “Lord of the Rings” film trilogy occupies the same role that “Star Wars” might for those who grew up from the late ’70s into the ’80s: It’s become a treasured part of the comfort-watch genre for women in their late 20s and 30s. In the years after the films came out, rewatching them felt like a ritual only my sister and I observed. (My parents saw them with us in theaters, then never watched them again.) Through college, I met the occasional “Lord of the Rings” girl — a few friends in graduate school, and strangers on drunken nights out. And, of course, there were the memes and the accompanying meme accounts.

“I was absolutely obsessed with reading gay hobbit erotica,” said Chelsea McCurdy, 35, who works for a nonprofit based in Conway, Ark. “And I think that was a huge deal for me as far as my queer journey and the love for these movies.” McCurdy, who is married to a transgender man and estimates that they watch at least one of the films every two to three weeks, said her fascination went beyond being “a horny teenager,” adding, “Nothing feels unsafe because the good guys are all actually good. And there’s no rape, there’s nothing that makes you feel uncomfortable as a woman in the entire trilogy.”

WmVA.gif

Indeed, the films’ most toxic male characters often meet satisfying ends. They’re stabbed in the back and impaled (Saruman), shot with arrows (Grima Wormtongue), or fall to their deaths after setting themselves on fire (Denethor). Twenty years later, McCurdy remains especially moved by the female characters — Arwen, Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) and Eowyn (Miranda Otto) — whose roles were enhanced in the screenplays by Fran Walsh, Peter Jackson’s longtime partner, and their writing collaborator Philippa Boyens.

“My all-time favorite No. 1 scene is ‘I am no man,’” said McCurdy, referring to the pivotal scene in which Eowyn kills Sauron’s most terrifying servant, the Witch-king of Angmar. “That whole scene just makes me have goose bumps, and baby feminist Chelsea just ate that up.”"

- How the Lord of the Rings became Star Wars for millennial women, The New York Times

From the Filmmaker

Why They're Great: Star Wars vs Lord of the Rings

Critic Opinion

"The road goes ever on”, wrote Tolkien in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. But the esteemed Oxford don and creator of the high fantasy genre probably wasn’t expecting it to lead to a billion dollar multimedia franchise to rival Marvel and Star Wars. But that, it seems, is what Tolkien’s Middle-earth tales are slowly morphing into, almost 70 years after he completed work on The Lord of the Rings, which was originally published in 1954 and 1955. This week, Deadline reports that a new anime movie, The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim, is moving into production – and it all looks surprisingly legit. Brian Cox will play Helm Hammerhand, legendary defender of the Rohirrim, with Miranda Otto returning from Peter Jackson’s turn-of-the-century Lord of the Rings trilogy as Eowyn (now the story’s narrator). That triptych’s producer and screenwriter, Philippa Boyens, is executive producing, along with conceptual designer Alan Lee and visual effects expert Richard Taylor of Weta Digital.

Altogether this makes up a decent portion of the dream team that gave us Jackson’s multiple Oscar-winning trilogy. But of course, this isn’t the only Tolkien project heading to screens. On TV, Amazon’s The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power is also imminent. Where will this all lead, one has to ask? And do we really need all these tales of Middle-earth?

200.gif

There are fundamental differences between Marvel and Star Wars and Tolkien’s fantasy world, and not just the fact that the Oxford professor backed up his world-building with entirely new fantasy languages and mythic pre-histories, wonderfully imagining himself as creating an entire missing mythology for the English people. The two Disney-owned franchises boast mythologies that have grown gradually over the decades: hundreds of different creators have built on the work of Stan Lee since the 1960s, while dozens of directors have now taken on George Lucas’ space fantasy saga and begun to build it into something new with TV shows such as The Mandalorian. Middle-earth on the other hand, despite Jackson’s clumsy tinkerings during the middling Hobbit trilogy – elf/dwarf romances anyone? – remains resolutely Tolkien’s creation.

The War of the Rohirrim will expand on stories told in the original Lord of the Rings about a time centuries before, when Helm saved his people. The idea of filming a fantasy battle as an anime is particularly appealing, but otherwise this isn’t the most obvious LOTR subplot that Warner and New Line might have plucked. It does have the benefit of a positive ending, however, whereas many of Tolkien’s other tales of Middle-earth (as the producers of The Rings of Power may be about to find out) are ultimately tragic and bleak in nature. I imagine few people would want to view a movie all about the early life of Gollum, or sit up until 3am binge-streaming the latest series of Saruman’s Fall.

Let’s face it though: the inevitable place that this is all going, provided there are no contractual disputes with the Tolkien estate, is new stories set in Middle-earth not based on Tolkien’s writings. Perhaps producers can learn something from Marvel and Star Wars here: the former has gone so far beyond its source material that it now represents the definitive media form for the superhero saga, while suits for the latter have only recently worked out that continuing to regurgitate Lucas-era stories in only vaguely new forms is probably not the way forward when you have a proposition as masterfully fresh and new as The Mandalorian up your Jedi robe.

24566.gif

Surely we’ll get there in time with Lord of the Rings, too. It just might take a decade or two before we get a show about the two blue Istari (wizards) who travelled south and east into parts of Middle-earth we’ve never even heard of – now that would be a story. And in the meantime, most of us will be perfectly happy chowing down as Hollywood and Amazon microwave every last ounce of content out of Tolkien’s remaining writings. I’m especially looking forward to the episode of The Rings of Power in which Sauron falls on his arse after being kicked out of Lindon by Elrond and Gil-galad. Secretly, you probably are too."

- Ben Child, "Is The Lord of the Rings becoming a Never-Ending Franchise like Marvel and Star Wars?" The Guardian

Public Opinion

"Watched the Extended Edition. I had a shitty day today, so I figured I'd throw on a comfort film to distract me from everything going on in life. God, I love this trilogy so much; it's probably the main reason I'm pursuing a career in film, to begin with. For that reason alone, I owe so much gratitude to Peter Jackson. Happy 20th to one of the best films ever made." - @Rorschach

"Far and away the best film of the franchise, this entry was probably my first introduction to the series as a young kid and I still find it to be the most infinitely re-watchable Star Wars film out of all 10 currently released live-action films.

It far surpasses A New Hope in quality, doubling down on everything that already made that film so great and adding so much more: the drama, humor, action scenes, worlds, etc. are all heightened up here. The Dagobah scenes here are by far the most interesting and powerful stuff in the entire franchise. The scene with Yoda lifting the X-Wing out of the swamp is incredible. Easily the highlight of the entire film. Darth Vader feels like a far more compelling antagonist in this film, where we finally get to see him interacting off of the heroes where we really didn't get any of that in A New Hope." - @Rorschach

giphy.gif

The Poetic Opinion

“Home is behind, the world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadows to the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.
Then world behind and home ahead,
We'll wander back and home to bed.
Mist and twilight, cloud and shade,
Away shall fade! Away shall fade!”

JRR Tolkien

tumblr_o8znocC08c1twi2hjo2_250.gifv

Some Final Factoids

Previous Rankings

Fellowship

#5 (2020), #1 (2018), #3 (2016), #7 (2014), #5 (2013), #2 (2012)

Empire

#2 (2020), #3 (2018), #1 (2016), #1 (2014), #1 (2013), #3 (2012)

Director Count

Steven Spielberg (7), James Cameron (4), Christopher Nolan (4), Martin Scorsese (4), Francis Ford Coppola (3), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Stanley Kubrick (3),  Hayao Miyazaki (3), Peter Jackson (3),  Ridley Scott (3), Brad Bird (2), John Carpenter (2), David Fincher (2), Spike Lee (2), Sergio Leone (2), The Russos (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Peter Weir (2), Billy Wilder (2), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John G. Avildsen (1), Frank Capra (1), Charlie Chaplin (1), Brenda Chapman (1), Joel Coen (1), Wes Craven (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Frank Darabont (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Pete Doctor (1), Stanley Donan (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), William Friedkin (1), Terry Gillam (1), Michel Gondry (1), Steve Hickner (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Bong Joon Ho (1), Gene Kelly (1), Irvin Kershner (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Richard Linklater (1), George Lucas (1) Sydney Lumet (1), Katia Lund (1), David Lynch (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), Katsuhiro Otomo (1), Jan Pinkava (1), Makoto Shinkai (1), Vittorio de Sica (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), Lee Unkrich (1), Gore Verbinski (1), Orson Welles (1), Simon Wells (1), Kirk Wise (1), Kar-Wai Wong (1)

tumblr_mn45s5Hn7X1rnvb0co1_500.gif

Decade Count

1930s (2), 1940s (4), 1950s (6), 1960s (7), 1970s (11), 1980s (13), 1990s (21), 2000s (23), 2010s (10)

Country Count

Franchise Count

Pixar (6), Ghibli (5), Star Wars (4), Middle Earth (3), Alien (2), The Godfather (2), The MCU (2), WDAS (2), Avatar (1), Back to the Future (1), Batman (1) Before (1), Blade Runner (1), Dollars (1), E.T. (1), The Exorcist (1), Finding Nemo (1), Hannibal (1), Halloween (1), Incredibles (1), Indiana Jones (1), Jaws (1), Jurassic Park (1), The Lion King (1), Mad Max (1), Pirates of the Caribbean (1), Rocky (1), Scream (1), The Shining (1), Terminator (1), Thing (1), Toy Story (1), The Wizard of Oz (1)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 3

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I happen to agree that Kathyrn Bigelow is an outstanding action director and if anyone should be given a massive budget to do a huge action movie it should be her. Point break hits all the right beats and yet it really wasn't made with a massive budget....24 million according to IMDb. 

stole Avatars oscar though didn't she

Now, what everyone has been waiting for. All of the multiversal alternative versions of the list (although I am not reformatting them because that's too much)

First thing is first!

The Official List (I will update with links on the main page of this later, please do not archive until after I do that, which may be next week! @Cap)

Spoiler

1.       The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

2.       The Empire Strikes Back

3.       The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

4.       The Godfather

5.       Spirited Away

6.       Raiders of the Lost Ark

7.       Jaws (1975)

8.       The Matrix (1999)

9.       GoodFellas (1990)

10.   Titanic (1997)

11.   The Dark Knight (2008)

12.   The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

13.   Star Wars (1977)

14.   Casablanca (1942)

15.   The Godfather Part II (1974)

16.   Schindler’s List (1993)

17.   Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

18.   Jurassic Park (1993)

19.   Parasite (2019)

20.   Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

21.   Back to the Future (1985)

22.   Vertigo (1958)

23.   The Apartment (1960)

24.   12 Angry Men (1954)

25.   Heat (1995)

26.   The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

27.   T2: Judgement Day (1991)

28.   E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

29.   Inception (2010)

30.   Taxi Driver (1976)

31.   Saving Private Ryan (1998)

32.   Apocalypse Now (1979)

33.   Alien (1979)

34.   Beauty and the Beast (1991)

35.   Citizen Kane (1941)

36.   Seven Samurai (1954)

37.   Pulp Fiction (1994)

38.   Psycho (1960)

39.   Rear Window (1954)

40.   The Lion King (1994)

41.   The Thing (1982)

42.   Singin’ in the Rain (1952)

43.   Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

44.   It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)

45.   Inside Out (2015)

46.   2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

47.   Silence of the Lambs (1991)

48.   Do the Right Thing (1989)

49.   Princess Mononoke (1997)

50.   The Truman Show (1998)

51.   Wall-E (2008)

52.   Once Upon a Time in the West (1966)

53.   The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (1964)

54.   Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

55.   Sunset Boulevard (1950)

56.   Dr Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

57.   Toy Story (1995)

58.   The Shining (1980)

59.   Mulholland Drive (2001)

60.   Pan’s Labyrinth (2006)

61.   Halloween (1978)

62.   Silence (2016)

63.   Your Name (2016)

64.   The Wizard of Oz (1939)

65.   Gladiator (2000)

66.   Ratatouille (2007)

67.   Avengers: Endgame (2019)

68.   Se7en (1995)

69.   Aliens (1984)

70.   Return of the Jedi (1983)

71.   Memento (2000)

72.   A.I. Artificial intelligence (2001)

73.   The Incredibles (2004)

74.   The Social Network (2010)

75.   In the Mood for Love (2000)

76.   Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

77.   The Prince of Egypt (1998)

78.   Finding Nemo (2003)

79.   Before Sunset (2004)

80.   My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

81.   Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

82.   Fargo (1996)

83.   The Departed (2006)

84.   Interstellar (2014)

85.   Scream (1996)

86.   Rocky (1976)

87.   Forrest Gump (1994)

88.   Akira (1988)

89.   Magnolia (1991)

90.   Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (2006)

91.   Blade Runner (1982)

92.   Avatar (2009)

93.   Bicycle Thieves (1948)

94.   The Exorcist (1973)

95.   Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

96.   Malcolm X (1992)

97.   City Lights (1931)

98.   City of God (2002)

99.   Master and Commander: The Far Side of the Sea (2003)

100.                       Unforgiven

101.                       Toy Story 2

102.                       The Prestige

103.                       Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

104.                       Coco (2017)

105.                       Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

106.                       The Sixth Sense (1999)

107.                       Spider-Man 2 (2004)

108.                       Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (2001)

109.                       Die Hard (1988)

110.                       Aladdin (1992)

111.                       Some Like it Hot

112.                       Duck Soup (1993)

113.                       Before Sunrise (1995)

114.                       Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)

115.                       Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

116.                       Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

117.                       Dunkirk (2017)

118.                       All About Eve (1950)

119.                       The Terminator (1984)

120.                       The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

121.                       North by Northwest (1959)

122.                       Arrival (2017)

123.                       Toy Story 3 (2010)

124.                       The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

125.                       Blazing Saddles (1974)

126.                       The Intouchables (2011)

127.                       Ghostbusters (1984)

128.                       The Matrix Reloaded (2003)

129.                       Nashville (1975)

130.                       Get Out (2017)

131.                       Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005)

132.                       Inglourious Basterds (2009)

133.                       Rashomon (1950)

134.                       Ran (1985)

135.                       Whisper of the Heart (1995)

136.                       The Age of Innocence (1993)

137.                       Batman Begins (2005)

138.                       Zodiac (2007)

139.                       The Princess Bride (1987)

140.                       The Big Lebowski (1998)

141.                       The 400 Blows (!959)

142.                       Stalker (1979)

143.                       The Handmaiden (2016)

144.                       Children of Men (2006)

145.                       Amadeus (1984)

146.                       A Clockwork Orange (1971)

147.                       Face/Off (1997)

148.                       Memories of Murder (2003)

149.                       One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)

150.                       Up (2009)

151.                       Knives Out (2019)

152.                       Good Will Hunting (1997)

153.                       Dazed and Confused (1993)

154.                       1917 (2019)

155.                       Bambi (1942)

156.                       Whiplash (2013)

157.                       Oldboy (2003)

158.                       Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

159.                       The Sound of Music (1965)

160.                       Modern Times (1936)

161.                       Guardians of the Galaxy (2013)

162.                       Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988)

163.                       Candyman (1992)

164.                       Fight Club (1999)

165.                       The Great Escape (1963)

166.                       La La Land (2016)

167.                       Come and See (1985)

168.                       Brokeback Mountain (2005)

169.                       Fanny and Alexander (1982)

170.                       A Star is Born (1954)

171.                       A Silent Voice (2016)

172.                       The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

173.                       Margaret (2011)

174.                       The Searchers (1956)

175.                       There Will Be Blood (2007)

176.                       Chinatown (1974)

177.                       Life of Pi (2012)

178.                       Cabaret (1972)

179.                       Call Me By Your Name (2017)

180.                       RoboCop (1987)

181.                       Das Boot (1992)

182.                       The Blair Witch Project (1999)

183.                       Amelie (2001)

184.                       The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

185.                       Catch Me if You Can (2002)

186.                       Lady Bird (2017)

187.                       Eraserhead (1977)

188.                       Mary Poppins (1964)

189.                       The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

190.                       Doctor Zhivago (1965)

191.                       Arsenic and the Old Lace (1944)

192.                       A Beautiful Mind (2001)

193.                       Notorious (1946)

194.                       When Harry Met Sally (1989)

195.                       Gone Girl (2014)

196.                       Fiddler on the Roof (1971)

197.                       Cinema Paradiso (1988)

198.                       High and Low (1967)

199.                       Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

200.                       Paddington 2 (2017)

201.                       Belle (2021)

202.                       Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

203.                       Paper Moon (1973)

204.                       All That Jazz (1979)

205.                       Once Upon a Time in America (1984)

206.                       Ferris Beuller’s Day Off (1986)

207.                       Hard Boiled (1992)

208.                       Pinocchio (1940)

209.                       The Martian (2015)

210.                       Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)

211.                       A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

212.                       District 9 (2009)

213.                       The Iron Giant (1999)

214.                       JFK (1991)

215.                       Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)

216.                       Wild Strawberries (1957)

217.                       Cruel Intentions (1999)

218.                       Gravity (2013)

219.                       The LEGO Movie (2014)

220.                       Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 (2011)

221.                       No Country for Old Men (2007)

222.                       Captain America: Civil War (2015)

223.                       Braveheart (1995)

224.                       The Big Short (2015)

225.                       The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

226.                       L.A. Confidential (1997)

227.                       How Green Was My Valley (1939)

228.                       Black Swan (2010)

229.                       Once (2006)

230.                       Spider-Man (2002)

231.                       Caddyshack (1980)

232.                       Only Angels Have Wings (1939)

233.                       The Sting (1977)

234.                       Short Term 12 (2013)

235.                       The Right Stuff (1983)

236.                       Ikiru (1952)

237.                       Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

238.                       Speed (1994)

239.                       Little Women (2019)

240.                       The Graduate (1967)

241.                       Mean Girls (2004)

242.                       The Third Man (1949)

243.                       Evil Dead 2 (1987)

244.                       Ocean’s Eleven (2001)

245.                       Raging Bull (1980)

246.                       Shrek (2001)

247.                       The Avengers (2012)

248.                       The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

249.                       The Young Girls of Rochefort (1968)

250.                       Almost Famous (2000)

• Like 6

The Fanboy List

Lists which ahd more franchise films given more weight.

Spoiler

1.       fellowship of the ring

2.       return of the king

3.       the empire strikes back

4.       the two towers

5.       star wars: a new hope

6.       titanic

7.       parasite

8.       the dark knight

9.       the matrix

10.   jurassic park

11.   the godfather

12.   raiders of the lost ark

13.   spirited away

14.   t2: judgement day

15.   jaws

16.   back to the future

17.   goodfellas

18.   casablanca

19.   star wars: the last jedi

20.   the godfather part II

21.   inception

22.   schindlers list

23.   mad max: fury road

24.   the shawshank redemption

25.   the lion king (1994)

26.   beauty and the beast (1991)

27.   star wars: return of the jedi

28.   saving private ryan

29.   et the extra-terrestrial

30.   alien

31.   12 angry men

32.   vertigo

33.   taxi driver

34.   lawrence of arabia

35.   inside out

36.   avengers: endgame

37.   heat

38.   avengers: infinity war

39.   apocalypse now

40.   pulp fiction

41.   citizen kane

42.   silence of the lambs

43.   the apartment

44.   toy story

45.   wall-e

46.   gladiator

47.   the truman show

48.   2001: a space odyssey

49.   psycho

50.   star wars: revenge of the sith

51.   it's a wonderful life

52.   the thing

53.   the incredibles

54.   coco

55.   pirates of the caribbean: dead man's chest

56.   interstellar

57.   finding nemo

58.   seven samurai

59.   the good, the bad, and the ugly

60.   your name

61.   ratatouille

62.   princess mononoke

63.   harry potter and the sorcerer's stone

64.   halloween (1978)

65.   harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban

66.   the social network

67.   pirates of the caribbean: curse of the black pearl

68.   aliens

69.   captain america: the winter soldier

70.   avatar

71.   the shining

72.   singin' in the rain

73.   do the right thing

74.   sunset boulevard

75.   monty python and the holy grail

76.   grave of the fireflies

77.   the intouchables

78.   se7en

79.   rear window

80.   silence

81.   pan's labyrinth

82.   the prince of egypt

83.   knives out

84.   star wars: attack of the clones

85.   forrest gump

86.   the prestige

87.   scream (1996)

88.   rocky

89.   guardians of the galaxy

90.   toy story 2

91.   akira

92.   batman begins

93.   the wizard of oz

94.   spider-man: into the spider-verse

95.   aladdin (1992)

96.   mulholland drive

97.   indiana jones and the last crusade

98.   star wars: the force awakens

99.   up (2009)

100.                       die hard

101.                       star wars: the phantom menace

102.                       eternal sunshine of a spotless mind

103.                       get out

104.                       harry potter and the deathly hallows part 2

105.                       1917 (2019)

106.                       memento

107.                       my neighbor totoro

108.                       the dark knight rises

109.                       toy story 3

110.                       dunkirk

111.                       captain america: civil war

112.                       malcolm x

113.                       bicycle thieves

114.                       the departed

115.                       spider-man 2

116.                       dr strangelove

117.                       the exorcist

118.                       once upon a time in the west

119.                       the terminator

120.                       fargo

121.                       arrival

122.                       magnolia

123.                       the sixth sense

124.                       the wolf of wall street

125.                       life of pi

126.                       ghostbusters (1984)

127.                       the avengers (2012)

128.                       hunger games: catching fire

129.                       das boot

130.                       iron man

131.                       catch me if you can

132.                       inglourious basterds

133.                       the handmaiden

134.                       memories of murder

135.                       blade runner

136.                       braveheart

137.                       before sunset

138.                       the 400 blows

139.                       the martian

140.                       whisper of the heart

141.                       blazing saddles

142.                       city of god

143.                       brokeback mountain

144.                       unforgiven

145.                       paddington 2

146.                       in the mood for love

147.                       oldboy

148.                       ai artificial intelligence

149.                       whiplash

150.                       before sunrise

151.                       cruel intentions

152.                       once

153.                       spaceballs

154.                       the big short

155.                       good will hunting

156.                       call me by your name

157.                       who framed roger rabbit

158.                       rogue one: a star wars story

159.                       the sound of music

160.                       nashville

161.                       the passion of the christ

162.                       rashomon

163.                       some like it hot

164.                       belle

165.                       a nightmare on elm street

166.                       all about eve

167.                       bambi

168.                       duck soup

169.                       sympathy for lady vengeance (2005)

170.                       ex machina

171.                       joint security area

172.                       kal ho naa ho

173.                       city lights

174.                       the princess bride

175.                       harry potter and the goblet of fire

176.                       the bridge on the river kwai

177.                       gone girl

178.                       spider-man: no way home

179.                       slumdog millionaire

180.                       master and commander

181.                       the big lebowski

182.                       a silent voice

183.                       a beautiful mind

184.                       casino royale (2006)

185.                       love exposure

186.                       de zaak alzhheimer (the memory of the killer)

187.                       cinema paradiso

188.                       dune (2021)

189.                       dan in real life

190.                       thor: ragnarok

191.                       the matrix reloaded

192.                       spider-man (2002)

193.                       shrek

194.                       la la land

195.                       there will be blood

196.                       zodiac

197.                       king kong (2005)

198.                       guardians of the galaxy vol 2

199.                       one flew over the cuckoos nest

200.                       the conjuring

201.                       fantastic mr fox

202.                       when harry met sally

203.                       mulan (1998)

204.                       ferris bueller's day off

205.                       the lego movie

206.                       robocop

207.                       amadeus

208.                       zootopia

209.                       the age of innocence

210.                       kiki's delivery service

211.                       monsters inc

212.                       stalker

213.                       senna

214.                       fight club

215.                       moana

216.                       the last samurai

217.                       candyman (1992)

218.                       kill bill vol 1

219.                       all that jazz

220.                       ben-hur

221.                       north by northwest

222.                       pinocchio

223.                       kingdom of heaven (directors cut)

224.                       mean girls

225.                       the end of evangelion

226.                       scream 2

227.                       the blair witch project

228.                       no country for old men

229.                       mary poppins

230.                       almost famous

231.                       ran

232.                       ocean's eleven

233.                       star wars: the rise of skywalker

234.                       robin hood (1973)

235.                       jfk (1991)

236.                       face/off

237.                       high and low

238.                       amelie

239.                       the jungle book (1967)

240.                       modern times

241.                       argo

242.                       the emperor's new groove

243.                       tenet

244.                       raging bull

245.                       fiddler on the roof

246.                       children of men

247.                       the texas chainsaw massacre (1974)

248.                       the hunger games

249.                       tangled

250.                       caddyshack

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

The Cinema List

Lists which had less franchise films given more weight

Spoiler

1.       fellowship of the ring

2.       the godfather

3.       the empire strikes back

4.       return of the king

5.       jaws

6.       spirited away

7.       goodfellas

8.       raiders of the lost ark

9.       lawrence of arabia

10.   casablanca

11.   the matrix

12.   the godfather part II

13.   schindlers list

14.   titanic

15.   the dark knight

16.   the apartment

17.   vertigo

18.   heat

19.   12 angry men

20.   mad max: fury road

21.   star wars: a new hope

22.   the shawshank redemption

23.   back to the future

24.   et the extra-terrestrial

25.   the two towers

26.   jurassic park

27.   apocalypse now

28.   taxi driver

29.   parasite

30.   inception

31.   alien

32.   saving private ryan

33.   t2: judgement day

34.   rear window

35.   singin' in the rain

36.   citizen kane

37.   beauty and the beast (1991)

38.   psycho

39.   seven samurai

40.   the thing

41.   pulp fiction

42.   it's a wonderful life

43.   2001: a space odyssey

44.   do the right thing

45.   once upon a time in the west

46.   silence of the lambs

47.   princess mononoke

48.   dr strangelove

49.   inside out

50.   the lion king (1994)

51.   the truman show

52.   wall-e

53.   monty python and the holy grail

54.   mulholland drive

55.   sunset boulevard

56.   the good, the bad, and the ugly

57.   pan's labyrinth

58.   the shining

59.   the wizard of oz

60.   star wars: the last jedi

61.   silence

62.   ai artificial intelligence

63.   in the mood for love

64.   halloween (1978)

65.   your name

66.   toy story

67.   before sunset

68.   memento

69.   se7en

70.   master and commander

71.   eternal sunshine of a spotless mind

72.   city lights

73.   fargo

74.   ratatouille

75.   blade runner

76.   aliens

77.   the departed

78.   my neighbor totoro

79.   magnolia

80.   unforgiven

81.   gladiator

82.   city of god

83.   the prince of egypt

84.   the exorcist

85.   bicycle thieves

86.   scream (1996)

87.   the social network

88.   rocky

89.   akira

90.   forrest gump

91.   grave of the fireflies

92.   malcolm x

93.   the incredibles

94.   some like it hot

95.   duck soup

96.   finding nemo

97.   the sixth sense

98.   before sunrise

99.   avengers: endgame

100.                       toy story 2

101.                       the prestige

102.                       north by northwest

103.                       interstellar

104.                       avatar

105.                       captain america: the winter soldier

106.                       spider-man 2

107.                       all about eve

108.                       spider-man: into the spider-verse

109.                       pirates of the caribbean: dead man's chest

110.                       the matrix reloaded

111.                       ran

112.                       die hard

113.                       a clockwork orange

114.                       the age of innocence

115.                       aladdin (1992)

116.                       nashville

117.                       blazing saddles

118.                       rashomon

119.                       children of men

120.                       zodiac

121.                       face/off

122.                       stalker

123.                       the wolf of wall street

124.                       indiana jones and the last crusade

125.                       star wars: return of the jedi

126.                       coco

127.                       the big lebowski

128.                       ghostbusters (1984)

129.                       the princess bride

130.                       the terminator

131.                       arrival

132.                       dunkirk

133.                       margaret

134.                       amadeus

135.                       dazed and confused

136.                       whisper of the heart

137.                       inglourious basterds

138.                       a star is born (1954)

139.                       one flew over the cuckoos nest

140.                       the great escape

141.                       toy story 3

142.                       the dark knight rises

143.                       chinatown

144.                       harry potter and the sorcerer's stone

145.                       come and see

146.                       cabaret

147.                       the 400 blows

148.                       the best years of our lives

149.                       fanny and alexander

150.                       the searchers

151.                       modern times

152.                       arsenic and the old lace

153.                       candyman (1992)

154.                       the handmaiden

155.                       lady bird

156.                       pirates of the caribbean: curse of the black pearl

157.                       bambi

158.                       fight club

159.                       good will hunting

160.                       amelie

161.                       doctor zhivago

162.                       get out

163.                       harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban

164.                       the blair witch project

165.                       memories of murder

166.                       the manchurian candidate

167.                       notorious

168.                       eraserhead

169.                       avengers: infinity war

170.                       la la land

171.                       robocop

172.                       a silent voice

173.                       there will be blood

174.                       the bridge on the river kwai

175.                       paper moon

176.                       the sound of music

177.                       mary poppins

178.                       whiplash

179.                       who framed roger rabbit

180.                       oldboy

181.                       sunrise: a song of two humans

182.                       the intouchables

183.                       once upon a time in america

184.                       fiddler on the roof

185.                       district 9

186.                       high and low

187.                       batman begins

188.                       call me by your name

189.                       the young girls of rochefort

190.                       how green was my valley

191.                       hard boiled

192.                       only angels have wings

193.                       wild strawberries

194.                       the third man

195.                       brokeback mountain

196.                       the iron giant

197.                       when harry met sally

198.                       a beautiful mind

199.                       la confidential

200.                       clueless

201.                       gone girl

202.                       gravity

203.                       all that jazz

204.                       cinema paradiso

205.                       body double (1984)

206.                       the right stuff

207.                       jfk (1991)

208.                       black swan

209.                       pinocchio

210.                       fantastic mr fox

211.                       collateral

212.                       ikiru

213.                       life of pi

214.                       bringing up baby

215.                       up (2009)

216.                       speed

217.                       kiki's delivery service

218.                       the sting

219.                       das boot

220.                       1917 (2019)

221.                       a separation

222.                       ferris bueller's day off

223.                       portrait of a lady on fire

224.                       the black stallion

225.                       the usual suspects

226.                       the rock (1996)

227.                       slumdog millionaire

228.                       evil dead 2

229.                       apollo 13

230.                       caddyshack

231.                       catch me if you can

232.                       no country for old men

233.                       the graduate

234.                       brief encounter

235.                       short term 12

236.                       belle

237.                       eyes wide shut

238.                       it happened one night

239.                       persona

240.                       the lego movie

241.                       chariots of fire

242.                       the master

243.                       little women (2019)

244.                       dear john

245.                       dumb and dumber

246.                       knives out

247.                       india song

248.                       the grapes of wrath

249.                       toni erdmann

250.                       jeanne dielman 23, quai du commerce 1080 bruxelles

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

The Old Farts List

Lists with more movies from pre-1980 given more weight

Spoiler
  1. the godfather uncle drew
  2. the apartment
  3. the empire strikes back
  4. lawrence of arabia
  5. casablanca
  6. fellowship of the ring
  7. the godfather part II
  8. raiders of the lost ark
  9. jaws
  10. star wars: a new hope
  11. spirited away
  12. citizen kane
  13. goodfellas
  14. 12 angry men
  15. vertigo
  16. schindlers list
  17. singin' in the rain
  18. return of the king
  19. rear window
  20. it's a wonderful life
  21. back to the future
  22. alien
  23. beauty and the beast (1991)
  24. seven samurai
  25. the matrix
  26. sunset boulevard
  27. dr strangelove
  28. mad max: fury road
  29. psycho
  30. heat
  31. the dark knight
  32. et the extra-terrestrial
  33. taxi driver
  34. the wizard of oz
  35. the shawshank redemption
  36. 2001: a space odyssey
  37. once upon a time in the west
  38. in the mood for love
  39. do the right thing
  40. all about eve
  41. apocalypse now
  42. jurassic park
  43. the thing
  44. some like it hot
  45. the two towers
  46. titanic
  47. t2: judgement day
  48. star wars: the last jedi
  49. pulp fiction
  50. wall-e
  51. inception
  52. saving private ryan
  53. toy story
  54. princess mononoke
  55. city lights
  56. silence of the lambs
  57. master and commander
  58. halloween (1978)
  59. monty python and the holy grail
  60. the best years of our lives
  61. the shining
  62. the good, the bad, and the ugly
  63. north by northwest
  64. notorious
  65. mulholland drive
  66. pan's labyrinth
  67. the exorcist
  68. parasite
  69. the searchers
  70. bicycle thieves
  71. star wars: return of the jedi
  72. the lion king (1994)
  73. captain america: the winter soldier
  74. sunrise: a song of two humans
  75. before sunset
  76. duck soup
  77. a star is born (1954)
  78. blade runner
  79. inside out
  80. fargo
  81. arsenic and the old lace
  82. cabaret
  83. the princess bride
  84. avengers: endgame
  85. the great escape
  86. silence
  87. the truman show
  88. toy story 2
  89. rocky
  90. se7en
  91. die hard
  92. rashomon
  93. the sixth sense
  94. the manchurian candidate
  95. before sunrise
  96. ran
  97. ai artificial intelligence
  98. gladiator
  99. blazing saddles
  100. the age of innocence
  101. the big parade
  102. 7th heaven
  103. napoleon
  104. the student prince in old heidelberg
  105. amadeus
  106. wild strawberries
  107. only angels have wings
  108. aladdin (1992)
  109. my neighbor totoro
  110. star wars: revenge of the sith
  111. hard boiled
  112. fiddler on the roof
  113. mary poppins
  114. aliens
  115. modern times
  116. akira
  117. memento
  118. dazed and confused
  119. avatar
  120. chinatown
  121. malcolm x
  122. unforgiven
  123. ratatouille
  124. stalker
  125. city of god
  126. bringing up baby
  127. it happened one night
  128. la la land
  129. the social network
  130. the quiet man
  131. forrest gump
  132. star wars: attack of the clones
  133. grave of the fireflies
  134. magnolia
  135. your name
  136. pinocchio
  137. one flew over the cuckoos nest
  138. once upon a time in america
  139. the 400 blows
  140. the bridge on the river kwai
  141. the departed
  142. the incredibles
  143. the big lebowski
  144. robocop
  145. double indemnity
  146. come and see
  147. howl's moving castle
  148. high and low
  149. brief encounter
  150. paper moon
  151. spider-man 2
  152. nashville
  153. eternal sunshine of a spotless mind
  154. pirates of the caribbean: dead man's chest
  155. the graduate
  156. the third man
  157. breaking away
  158. good will hunting
  159. eraserhead
  160. zodiac
  161. whisper of the heart
  162. star wars: the phantom menace
  163. bambi
  164. la confidential
  165. the prince of egypt
  166. touch of evil
  167. a night at the opera
  168. indiana jones and the last crusade
  169. caddyshack
  170. the right stuff
  171. the adventures of robin hood
  172. the general
  173. the sting
  174. a clockwork orange
  175. spaceballs
  176. margaret
  177. apollo 13
  178. random harvest
  179. the grapes of wrath
  180. interstellar
  181. the terminator
  182. rebecca
  183. the black stallion
  184. call me by your name
  185. ghostbusters (1984)
  186. the blair witch project
  187. young frankenstein
  188. persona
  189. who framed roger rabbit
  190. toy story 3
  191. the music man
  192. children of men
  193. evil dead 2
  194. spider-man: into the spider-verse
  195. how green was my valley
  196. the wolf of wall street
  197. harry potter and the sorcerer's stone
  198. paths of glory
  199. when harry met sally
  200. doctor zhivago
  201. chariots of fire
  202. dumb and dumber
  203. finding nemo
  204. gone with the wind
  205. barry lyndon
  206. candyman (1992)
  207. ikiru
  208. blue velvet
  209. face/off
  210. oldboy
  211. the young girls of rochefort
  212. the matrix reloaded
  213. eyes wide shut
  214. lucky star
  215. a matter of life and death
  216. snow white and the seven dwarfs
  217. fantasia
  218. superman (1978)
  219. my man godfrey
  220. star wars: the force awakens
  221. the passion of joan of arc
  222. the master
  223. little women (2019)
  224. dawn of the dead
  225. inglourious basterds
  226. there will be blood
  227. fight club
  228. brazil (1985)
  229. possession (1981)
  230. fanny and alexander
  231. raging bull
  232. amelie
  233. ocean's eleven
  234. the handmaiden
  235. the iron giant
  236. ferris bueller's day off
  237. black swan
  238. harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban
  239. network
  240. the deer hunter
  241. the sound of music
  242. young adult
  243. deep red profundo russo
  244. love exposure
  245. high noon
  246. stagecoach
  247. suspiria (1977)
  248. west side story (1961)
  249. the usual suspects
  250. arrival

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

The Damn Kids List

Lists with more films from 1980 and on were given more weight

Spoiler
  1. fellowship of the ring
  2. return of the king
  3. the empire strikes back
  4. titanic
  5. the matrix
  6. the two towers
  7. the godfather
  8. the dark knight
  9. spirited away
  10. jaws
  11. raiders of the lost ark
  12. parasite
  13. goodfellas
  14. jurassic park
  15. star wars: a new hope
  16. schindlers list
  17. mad max: fury road
  18. t2: judgement day
  19. inception
  20. casablanca
  21. the shawshank redemption
  22. heat
  23. the godfather part II
  24. back to the future
  25. vertigo
  26. saving private ryan
  27. et the extra-terrestrial
  28. lawrence of arabia
  29. 12 angry men
  30. apocalypse now
  31. taxi driver
  32. the lion king (1994)
  33. inside out
  34. alien
  35. beauty and the beast (1991)
  36. pulp fiction
  37. star wars: the last jedi
  38. silence of the lambs
  39. the thing
  40. the truman show
  41. the apartment
  42. psycho
  43. princess mononoke
  44. 2001: a space odyssey
  45. wall-e
  46. your name
  47. seven samurai
  48. citizen kane
  49. do the right thing
  50. the good, the bad, and the ugly
  51. silence
  52. rear window
  53. singin' in the rain
  54. monty python and the holy grail
  55. gladiator
  56. ratatouille
  57. mulholland drive
  58. it's a wonderful life
  59. the shining
  60. pan's labyrinth
  61. scream (1996)
  62. aliens
  63. finding nemo
  64. toy story
  65. the incredibles
  66. se7en
  67. the prince of egypt
  68. avengers: endgame
  69. eternal sunshine of a spotless mind
  70. halloween (1978)
  71. memento
  72. the social network
  73. interstellar
  74. once upon a time in the west
  75. ai artificial intelligence
  76. the prestige
  77. coco
  78. avengers: infinity war
  79. the departed
  80. grave of the fireflies
  81. pirates of the caribbean: dead man's chest
  82. star wars: return of the jedi
  83. forrest gump
  84. my neighbor totoro
  85. magnolia
  86. akira
  87. avatar
  88. spider-man: into the spider-verse
  89. rocky
  90. dr strangelove
  91. city of god
  92. unforgiven
  93. before sunset
  94. malcolm x
  95. fargo
  96. pirates of the caribbean: curse of the black pearl
  97. harry potter and the sorcerer's stone
  98. dunkirk
  99. sunset boulevard
  100. harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban
  101. spider-man 2
  102. blade runner
  103. toy story 2
  104. the wizard of oz
  105. captain america: the winter soldier
  106. the intouchables
  107. bicycle thieves
  108. indiana jones and the last crusade
  109. the exorcist
  110. arrival
  111. the dark knight rises
  112. the sixth sense
  113. aladdin (1992)
  114. get out
  115. the wolf of wall street
  116. the terminator
  117. the matrix reloaded
  118. die hard
  119. toy story 3
  120. ghostbusters (1984)
  121. batman begins
  122. inglourious basterds
  123. before sunrise
  124. knives out
  125. in the mood for love
  126. master and commander
  127. memories of murder
  128. city lights
  129. nashville
  130. 1917 (2019)
  131. the handmaiden
  132. up (2009)
  133. guardians of the galaxy
  134. whisper of the heart
  135. duck soup
  136. face/off
  137. zodiac
  138. children of men
  139. life of pi
  140. blazing saddles
  141. whiplash
  142. a clockwork orange
  143. brokeback mountain
  144. the big lebowski
  145. a silent voice
  146. the 400 blows
  147. star wars: revenge of the sith
  148. gone girl
  149. lady bird
  150. the sound of music
  151. star wars: the force awakens
  152. oldboy
  153. rashomon
  154. the age of innocence
  155. stalker
  156. ran
  157. slumdog millionaire
  158. fanny and alexander
  159. cruel intentions
  160. candyman (1992)
  161. fight club
  162. cinema paradiso
  163. das boot
  164. good will hunting
  165. a beautiful mind
  166. there will be blood
  167. who framed roger rabbit
  168. the martian
  169. catch me if you can
  170. bambi
  171. one flew over the cuckoos nest
  172. amelie
  173. a nightmare on elm street
  174. hunger games: catching fire
  175. call me by your name
  176. belle
  177. margaret
  178. captain america: civil war
  179. the blair witch project
  180. harry potter and the deathly hallows part 2
  181. paddington 2
  182. amadeus
  183. fantastic mr fox
  184. once
  185. gravity
  186. all that jazz
  187. the big short
  188. doctor zhivago
  189. collateral
  190. the princess bride
  191. north by northwest
  192. braveheart
  193. dazed and confused
  194. the lego movie
  195. come and see
  196. tenet
  197. mean girls
  198. when harry met sally
  199. the rock (1996)
  200. the avengers (2012)
  201. some like it hot
  202. the bridge on the river kwai
  203. district 9
  204. kiki's delivery service
  205. robocop
  206. speed
  207. sympathy for lady vengeance (2005)
  208. jfk (1991)
  209. la la land
  210. eraserhead
  211. shrek
  212. ferris bueller's day off
  213. ex machina
  214. modern times
  215. halloween II (2009)
  216. casino royale (2006)
  217. dear john
  218. almost famous
  219. spider-man (2002)
  220. the iron giant
  221. the texas chainsaw massacre (1974)
  222. no country for old men
  223. chinatown
  224. kingdom of heaven (directors cut)
  225. short term 12
  226. joint security area
  227. kal ho naa ho
  228. manchester by the sea
  229. clueless
  230. iron man
  231. the general's daughter
  232. django unchained
  233. argo
  234. high and low
  235. chloe (2009)
  236. black swan
  237. galaxy quest
  238. senna
  239. the conjuring
  240. the passion of the christ
  241. monsters inc
  242. kill bill vol 1
  243. ocean's twelve
  244. moana
  245. demolition man
  246. the bourne identity
  247. paper moon
  248. dan in real life
  249. how green was my valley
  250. mulan (1998)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The Ambassador List

Lists with more non-English language films were given more weight

Spoiler
  1. spirited away
  2. lawrence of arabia
  3. the godfather
  4. the empire strikes back
  5. return of the king
  6. fellowship of the ring
  7. titanic
  8. the matrix
  9. vertigo
  10. casablanca
  11. taxi driver
  12. goodfellas
  13. raiders of the lost ark
  14. parasite
  15. seven samurai
  16. schindlers list
  17. jurassic park
  18. the apartment
  19. the godfather part II
  20. your name
  21. princess mononoke
  22. silence
  23. singin' in the rain
  24. heat
  25. jaws
  26. apocalypse now
  27. once upon a time in the west
  28. t2: judgement day
  29. beauty and the beast (1991)
  30. psycho
  31. the dark knight
  32. star wars: a new hope
  33. 12 angry men
  34. rear window
  35. back to the future
  36. et the extra-terrestrial
  37. the lion king (1994)
  38. the thing
  39. dr strangelove
  40. the shawshank redemption
  41. alien
  42. mad max: fury road
  43. monty python and the holy grail
  44. do the right thing
  45. saving private ryan
  46. in the mood for love
  47. 2001: a space odyssey
  48. sunset boulevard
  49. the two towers
  50. grave of the fireflies
  51. pirates of the caribbean: dead man's chest
  52. inside out
  53. ai artificial intelligence
  54. my neighbor totoro
  55. pan's labyrinth
  56. star wars: the last jedi
  57. it's a wonderful life
  58. citizen kane
  59. face/off
  60. inception
  61. city of god
  62. wall-e
  63. finding nemo
  64. a silent voice
  65. unforgiven
  66. toy story 2
  67. the prince of egypt
  68. mulholland drive
  69. avatar
  70. silence of the lambs
  71. ratatouille
  72. bicycle thieves
  73. the wizard of oz
  74. the truman show
  75. master and commander
  76. before sunset
  77. city lights
  78. fanny and alexander
  79. duck soup
  80. the handmaiden
  81. blade runner
  82. stalker
  83. fargo
  84. malcolm x
  85. akira
  86. the matrix reloaded
  87. eternal sunshine of a spotless mind
  88. memento
  89. the good, the bad, and the ugly
  90. toy story
  91. magnolia
  92. pulp fiction
  93. love exposure
  94. sunrise: a song of two humans
  95. ran
  96. clueless
  97. the shining
  98. children of men
  99. halloween (1978)
  100. before sunrise
  101. some like it hot
  102. the exorcist
  103. the social network
  104. north by northwest
  105. rashomon
  106. high and low
  107. memories of murder
  108. whisper of the heart
  109. portrait of a lady on fire
  110. farewell my concubine
  111. the young girls of rochefort
  112. toni erdmann
  113. jeanne dielman 23, quai du commerce 1080 bruxelles
  114. the sixth sense
  115. india song
  116. arrival
  117. come and see
  118. body double (1984)
  119. lady bird
  120. blazing saddles
  121. the best years of our lives
  122. margaret
  123. the age of innocence
  124. modern times
  125. the killer
  126. spider-man: into the spider-verse
  127. the big parade
  128. 7th heaven
  129. napoleon
  130. the student prince in old heidelberg
  131. forrest gump
  132. only yesterday
  133. gladiator
  134. a clockwork orange
  135. amour
  136. the end of evangelion
  137. up (2009)
  138. the black stallion
  139. the third man
  140. all about eve
  141. inglourious basterds
  142. only angels have wings
  143. captain america: the winter soldier
  144. the incredibles
  145. innocence
  146. a separation
  147. rocky
  148. aladdin (1992)
  149. zodiac
  150. dunkirk
  151. ghostbusters (1984)
  152. amelie
  153. se7en
  154. bambi
  155. the big lebowski
  156. robocop
  157. aliens
  158. the great escape
  159. spider-man 2
  160. the searchers
  161. toy story 3
  162. oldboy
  163. ikiru
  164. chariots of fire
  165. belle
  166. amarcord
  167. the 400 blows
  168. the manchurian candidate
  169. coco
  170. how green was my valley
  171. the iron giant
  172. a star is born (1954)
  173. frozen (2013)
  174. the right stuff
  175. the edge of seventeen
  176. cabaret
  177. die hard
  178. shaolin soccer
  179. amadeus
  180. brief encounter
  181. life of pi
  182. mulan (1998)
  183. mary poppins
  184. desperately seeking susan
  185. reassemblage
  186. whiplash
  187. the princess bride
  188. moana
  189. the prestige
  190. cinema paradiso
  191. indiana jones and the last crusade
  192. celine and julie go boating
  193. dragon inn
  194. candyman (1992)
  195. wild strawberries
  196. the wolf of wall street
  197. harry potter and the sorcerer's stone
  198. fantastic mr fox
  199. kingdom of heaven (directors cut)
  200. there will be blood
  201. promising young woman
  202. nashville
  203. all the president's men
  204. arsenic and the old lace
  205. the big short
  206. chinatown
  207. district 9
  208. kiki's delivery service
  209. hard boiled
  210. paddington 2
  211. double indemnity
  212. pirates of the caribbean: curse of the black pearl
  213. persepolis
  214. slumdog millionaire
  215. get out
  216. one flew over the cuckoos nest
  217. fiddler on the roof
  218. shrek
  219. extreme job
  220. a better tomorrow
  221. kung fu huste
  222. 5 centimetres per second
  223. the passion of joan of arc
  224. das boot
  225. my man godfrey
  226. snow white and the seven dwarfs
  227. notorious
  228. three colors: red
  229. gravity
  230. gone girl
  231. the raid (2011)
  232. the grand budapest hotel
  233. cameraperson
  234. the hurt locker
  235. eraserhead
  236. 25th hour
  237. goodbye, dragon inn
  238. a perfect world
  239. green snake
  240. celine
  241. le bonheur
  242. pather panchali
  243. interstellar
  244. 2046 (2004)
  245. dazed and confused
  246. young mr lincoln
  247. doctor zhivago
  248. the blair witch project
  249. the intouchables
  250. the farewell

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

The All-American List

Movies with more English language films were given more weight

Spoiler
  2. the empire strikes back
  3. return of the king
  4. the godfather
  5. jaws
  6. raiders of the lost ark
  7. the dark knight
  8. the matrix
  9. the two towers
  10. goodfellas
  11. star wars: a new hope
  12. titanic
  13. spirited away
  14. casablanca
  15. the godfather part II
  16. schindlers list
  17. mad max: fury road
  18. jurassic park
  19. lawrence of arabia
  20. back to the future
  21. parasite
  22. 12 angry men
  23. the shawshank redemption
  24. the apartment
  25. vertigo
  26. heat
  27. inception
  28. t2: judgement day
  29. et the extra-terrestrial
  30. saving private ryan
  31. alien
  32. apocalypse now
  33. beauty and the beast (1991)
  34. taxi driver
  35. citizen kane
  36. pulp fiction
  37. the lion king (1994)
  38. rear window
  39. star wars: the last jedi
  40. psycho
  41. the thing
  42. it's a wonderful life
  43. silence of the lambs
  44. singin' in the rain
  45. inside out
  46. 2001: a space odyssey
  47. seven samurai
  48. the truman show
  49. do the right thing
  50. wall-e
  51. the good, the bad, and the ugly
  52. princess mononoke
  53. toy story
  54. the shining
  55. halloween (1978)
  56. once upon a time in the west
  57. monty python and the holy grail
  58. sunset boulevard
  59. avengers: endgame
  60. mulholland drive
  61. dr strangelove
  62. gladiator
  63. pan's labyrinth
  64. star wars: return of the jedi
  65. se7en
  66. the wizard of oz
  67. aliens
  68. ratatouille
  69. the incredibles
  70. the departed
  71. silence
  72. memento
  73. scream (1996)
  74. your name
  75. interstellar
  76. the social network
  77. eternal sunshine of a spotless mind
  78. rocky
  79. forrest gump
  80. ai artificial intelligence
  81. avengers: infinity war
  82. the prince of egypt
  83. captain america: the winter soldier
  84. before sunset
  85. fargo
  86. finding nemo
  87. the exorcist
  88. magnolia
  89. in the mood for love
  90. akira
  91. the prestige
  92. coco
  93. my neighbor totoro
  94. blade runner
  95. grave of the fireflies
  96. bicycle thieves
  97. avatar
  98. malcolm x
  99. city lights
  100. master and commander
  101. harry potter and the sorcerer's stone
  102. spider-man: into the spider-verse
  103. pirates of the caribbean: dead man's chest
  104. spider-man 2
  105. die hard
  106. the sixth sense
  107. unforgiven
  108. harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban
  109. city of god
  110. toy story 2
  111. aladdin (1992)
  112. pirates of the caribbean: curse of the black pearl
  113. indiana jones and the last crusade
  114. some like it hot
  115. the dark knight rises
  116. before sunrise
  117. the terminator
  118. duck soup
  119. the intouchables
  120. dunkirk
  121. the wolf of wall street
  122. all about eve
  123. star wars: revenge of the sith
  124. batman begins
  125. toy story 3
  126. nashville
  127. arrival
  128. ghostbusters (1984)
  129. get out
  130. blazing saddles
  131. north by northwest
  132. inglourious basterds
  133. the matrix reloaded
  134. the age of innocence
  135. the princess bride
  136. rashomon
  137. zodiac
  138. knives out
  139. the 400 blows
  140. whisper of the heart
  141. the big lebowski
  142. ran
  143. amadeus
  144. 1917 (2019)
  145. one flew over the cuckoos nest
  146. good will hunting
  147. guardians of the galaxy
  148. dazed and confused
  149. star wars: the force awakens
  150. a clockwork orange
  151. brokeback mountain
  152. the sound of music
  153. children of men
  154. up (2009)
  155. memories of murder
  156. stalker
  157. call me by your name
  158. la la land
  159. who framed roger rabbit
  160. fight club
  161. the bridge on the river kwai
  162. bambi
  163. the handmaiden
  164. whiplash
  165. candyman (1992)
  166. oldboy
  167. catch me if you can
  168. the blair witch project
  169. chinatown
  170. there will be blood
  171. a beautiful mind
  172. a star is born (1954)
  173. das boot
  174. the searchers
  175. life of pi
  176. the great escape
  177. cabaret
  178. modern times
  179. eraserhead
  180. robocop
  181. margaret
  182. doctor zhivago
  183. come and see
  184. when harry met sally
  185. amelie
  186. notorious
  187. face/off
  188. arsenic and the old lace
  189. gone girl
  190. the best years of our lives
  191. mary poppins
  192. the martian
  193. fiddler on the roof
  194. the manchurian candidate
  195. paper moon
  196. captain america: civil war
  197. jfk (1991)
  198. a nightmare on elm street
  199. cinema paradiso
  200. lady bird
  201. harry potter and the deathly hallows part 2
  202. all that jazz
  203. ferris bueller's day off
  204. once upon a time in america
  205. the lego movie
  206. fantastic mr fox
  207. pinocchio
  208. fanny and alexander
  209. cruel intentions
  210. no country for old men
  211. hunger games: catching fire
  212. slumdog millionaire
  213. paddington 2
  214. braveheart
  215. once
  216. hard boiled
  217. kiki's delivery service
  218. speed
  219. mean girls
  220. belle
  221. spider-man (2002)
  222. collateral
  223. spaceballs
  224. district 9
  225. the avengers (2012)
  226. gravity
  227. high and low
  228. a silent voice
  229. wild strawberries
  230. black swan
  231. tenet
  232. caddyshack
  233. the sting
  234. the texas chainsaw massacre (1974)
  235. the iron giant
  236. the rock (1996)
  237. little women (2019)
  238. la confidential
  239. almost famous
  240. short term 12
  241. ex machina
  242. evil dead 2
  243. manchester by the sea
  244. casino royale (2006)
  245. the big short
  246. ocean's eleven
  247. raging bull
  248. the usual suspects
  249. eyes wide shut
  250. the graduate

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The Cartoon List

Lists with more animated movies were given more weight

Spoiler
  1. spirited away
  2. return of the king
  3. fellowship of the ring
  4. the empire strikes back
  5. parasite
  6. the godfather
  7. jurassic park
  8. the two towers
  9. titanic
  10. beauty and the beast (1991)
  11. the lion king (1994)
  12. princess mononoke
  13. the dark knight
  14. vertigo
  15. lawrence of arabia
  16. the matrix
  17. silence
  18. your name
  19. back to the future
  20. raiders of the lost ark
  21. casablanca
  22. apocalypse now
  23. star wars: a new hope
  24. mad max: fury road
  25. schindlers list
  26. wall-e
  27. taxi driver
  28. goodfellas
  29. inside out
  30. citizen kane
  31. akira
  32. star wars: the last jedi
  33. the godfather part II
  34. coco
  35. singin' in the rain
  36. whisper of the heart
  37. jaws
  38. ratatouille
  39. pirates of the caribbean: dead man's chest
  40. seven samurai
  41. grave of the fireflies
  42. inception
  43. t2: judgement day
  44. the incredibles
  45. et the extra-terrestrial
  46. the truman show
  47. my neighbor totoro
  48. monty python and the holy grail
  49. toy story
  50. do the right thing
  51. 12 angry men
  52. the prince of egypt
  53. the social network
  54. 2001: a space odyssey
  55. the shawshank redemption
  56. it's a wonderful life
  57. finding nemo
  58. alien
  59. spider-man: into the spider-verse
  60. saving private ryan
  61. the 400 blows
  62. rear window
  63. psycho
  64. the intouchables
  65. pirates of the caribbean: curse of the black pearl
  66. malcolm x
  67. the wizard of oz
  68. the apartment
  69. bicycle thieves
  70. aladdin (1992)
  71. heat
  72. magnolia
  73. avengers: infinity war
  74. toy story 2
  75. sunset boulevard
  76. silence of the lambs
  77. avengers: endgame
  78. avatar
  79. a silent voice
  80. up (2009)
  81. the handmaiden
  82. mulholland drive
  83. toy story 3
  84. the prestige
  85. belle
  86. duck soup
  87. fargo
  88. get out
  89. spider-man 2
  90. before sunset
  91. gladiator
  92. the shining
  93. life of pi
  94. captain america: the winter soldier
  95. forrest gump
  96. au hasard balthasar
  97. blazing saddles
  98. pan's labyrinth
  99. who framed roger rabbit
  100. all that jazz
  101. memories of murder
  102. pulp fiction
  103. arrival
  104. indiana jones and the last crusade
  105. the thing
  106. bambi
  107. dr strangelove
  108. se7en
  109. whiplash
  110. the iron giant
  111. das boot
  112. fantastic mr fox
  113. oldboy
  114. knives out
  115. zootopia
  116. star wars: return of the jedi
  117. the lego movie
  118. eternal sunshine of a spotless mind
  119. in the mood for love
  120. paddington 2
  121. once upon a time in the west
  122. the exorcist
  123. kiki's delivery service
  124. mulan (1998)
  125. cruel intentions
  126. the sixth sense
  127. inglourious basterds
  128. aliens
  129. dunkirk
  130. joint security area
  131. kal ho naa ho
  132. harry potter and the sorcerer's stone
  133. harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban
  134. the wolf of wall street
  135. rashomon
  136. shrek
  137. only yesterday
  138. ai artificial intelligence
  139. pinocchio
  140. senna
  141. ferris bueller's day off
  142. moana
  143. king kong (2005)
  144. interstellar
  145. fanny and alexander
  146. cinema paradiso
  147. memento
  148. amelie
  149. guardians of the galaxy
  150. some like it hot
  151. high and low
  152. de zaak alzhheimer (the memory of the killer)
  153. nashville
  154. casino royale (2006)
  155. sympathy for lady vengeance (2005)
  156. nausicaa of the valley of the wind
  157. iron man
  158. city of god
  159. halloween (1978)
  160. the sound of music
  161. mary poppins
  162. 1917 (2019)
  163. short term 12
  164. catch me if you can
  165. the big short
  166. raging bull
  167. rocky
  168. spider-man (2002)
  169. all about eve
  170. harry potter and the deathly hallows part 2
  171. die hard
  172. lady bird
  173. monsters inc
  174. the bridge on the river kwai
  175. captain america: civil war
  176. blade runner
  177. the last samurai
  178. children of men
  179. modern times
  180. harry potter and the goblet of fire
  181. unforgiven
  182. lilo and stitch
  183. the martian
  184. ran
  185. shaolin soccer
  186. a knight's tale
  187. slumdog millionaire
  188. city lights
  189. amadeus
  190. once
  191. call me by your name
  192. hunger games: catching fire
  193. the emperor's new groove
  194. the conjuring
  195. the jungle book (1967)
  196. la la land
  197. the princess bride
  198. the good, the bad, and the ugly
  199. master and commander
  200. there will be blood
  201. before sunrise
  202. jojo rabbit
  203. ghostbusters (1984)
  204. the passion of the christ
  205. portrait of a lady on fire
  206. gone girl
  207. persepolis
  208. when harry met sally
  209. face/off
  210. zodiac
  211. the terminator
  212. 22 jump street
  213. ocean's eleven
  214. the rocky horror picture show
  215. she's gotta have it
  216. extreme job
  217. a better tomorrow
  218. kung fu huste
  219. 5 centimetres per second
  220. fiddler on the roof
  221. dawn of the planet of the apes
  222. star wars: revenge of the sith
  223. guardians of the galaxy vol 2
  224. young frankenstein
  225. north by northwest
  226. good will hunting
  227. dune (2021)
  228. the big lebowski
  229. spider-man: no way home
  230. the farewell
  231. notorious
  232. tangled
  233. clueless
  234. batman begins
  235. braveheart
  236. gravity
  237. the searchers
  238. the avengers (2012)
  239. stalker
  240. scream (1996)
  241. kingdom of heaven (directors cut)
  242. creed
  243. moonlight
  244. the raid (2011)
  245. a night at the opera
  246. men in black
  247. the departed
  248. the matrix reloaded
  249. django unchained
  250. farewell my concubine

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

And last (and potentially least)

The Damn Boomer List

Lists with less animated movies were given more weight

Spoiler
  2. the empire strikes back
  3. return of the king
  4. the godfather
  5. jaws
  6. raiders of the lost ark
  7. the matrix
  8. goodfellas
  9. the dark knight
  10. titanic
  11. star wars: a new hope
  12. spirited away
  13. casablanca
  14. the godfather part II
  15. the two towers
  16. schindlers list
  17. lawrence of arabia
  18. the apartment
  19. mad max: fury road
  20. heat
  21. jurassic park
  22. 12 angry men
  23. back to the future
  24. the shawshank redemption
  25. vertigo
  26. parasite
  27. t2: judgement day
  28. et the extra-terrestrial
  29. inception
  30. saving private ryan
  31. alien
  32. taxi driver
  33. apocalypse now
  34. beauty and the beast (1991)
  35. citizen kane
  36. pulp fiction
  37. the thing
  38. psycho
  39. rear window
  40. singin' in the rain
  41. seven samurai
  42. it's a wonderful life
  43. silence of the lambs
  44. star wars: the last jedi
  45. 2001: a space odyssey
  46. the lion king (1994)
  47. inside out
  48. do the right thing
  49. the good, the bad, and the ugly
  50. once upon a time in the west
  51. the truman show
  52. wall-e
  53. dr strangelove
  54. princess mononoke
  55. sunset boulevard
  56. halloween (1978)
  57. the shining
  58. pan's labyrinth
  59. monty python and the holy grail
  60. mulholland drive
  61. toy story
  62. gladiator
  63. the wizard of oz
  64. aliens
  65. se7en
  66. avengers: endgame
  67. star wars: return of the jedi
  68. memento
  69. ai artificial intelligence
  70. your name
  71. silence
  72. in the mood for love
  73. ratatouille
  74. eternal sunshine of a spotless mind
  75. the departed
  76. scream (1996)
  77. interstellar
  78. rocky
  79. before sunset
  80. blade runner
  81. the incredibles
  82. fargo
  83. the social network
  84. forrest gump
  85. the prince of egypt
  86. the exorcist
  87. master and commander
  88. city lights
  89. finding nemo
  90. unforgiven
  91. city of god
  92. captain america: the winter soldier
  93. magnolia
  94. avatar
  95. my neighbor totoro
  96. grave of the fireflies
  97. bicycle thieves
  98. the prestige
  99. toy story 2
  100. malcolm x
  101. avengers: infinity war
  102. pirates of the caribbean: dead man's chest
  103. akira
  104. the sixth sense
  105. die hard
  106. harry potter and the sorcerer's stone
  107. before sunrise
  108. some like it hot
  109. spider-man 2
  110. coco
  111. spider-man: into the spider-verse
  112. harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban
  113. aladdin (1992)
  114. duck soup
  115. indiana jones and the last crusade
  116. the dark knight rises
  117. the terminator
  118. all about eve
  119. north by northwest
  120. the matrix reloaded
  121. dunkirk
  122. pirates of the caribbean: curse of the black pearl
  123. ghostbusters (1984)
  124. the age of innocence
  125. the wolf of wall street
  126. star wars: revenge of the sith
  127. nashville
  128. arrival
  129. batman begins
  130. blazing saddles
  131. ran
  132. zodiac
  133. rashomon
  134. toy story 3
  135. inglourious basterds
  136. the big lebowski
  137. stalker
  138. the princess bride
  139. a clockwork orange
  140. the intouchables
  141. get out
  142. face/off
  143. amadeus
  144. one flew over the cuckoos nest
  145. children of men
  146. dazed and confused
  147. good will hunting
  148. robocop
  149. the great escape
  150. star wars: the force awakens
  151. memories of murder
  152. margaret
  153. 1917 (2019)
  154. the handmaiden
  155. candyman (1992)
  156. knives out
  157. a star is born (1954)
  158. fight club
  159. brokeback mountain
  160. come and see
  161. the 400 blows
  162. the searchers
  163. cabaret
  164. chinatown
  165. modern times
  166. the sound of music
  167. la la land
  168. whisper of the heart
  169. the blair witch project
  170. the best years of our lives
  171. the bridge on the river kwai
  172. bambi
  173. there will be blood
  174. guardians of the galaxy
  175. call me by your name
  176. up (2009)
  177. the manchurian candidate
  178. fanny and alexander
  179. arsenic and the old lace
  180. oldboy
  181. whiplash
  182. eraserhead
  183. doctor zhivago
  184. a beautiful mind
  185. amelie
  186. notorious
  187. who framed roger rabbit
  188. lady bird
  189. catch me if you can
  190. when harry met sally
  191. gone girl
  192. mary poppins
  193. das boot
  194. fiddler on the roof
  195. life of pi
  196. jfk (1991)
  197. a silent voice
  198. once upon a time in america
  199. paper moon
  200. hard boiled
  201. sunrise: a song of two humans
  202. high and low
  203. cinema paradiso
  204. district 9
  205. slumdog millionaire
  206. a nightmare on elm street
  207. wild strawberries
  208. caddyshack
  209. the martian
  210. black swan
  211. no country for old men
  212. gravity
  213. how green was my valley
  214. la confidential
  215. only angels have wings
  216. the right stuff
  217. fantastic mr fox
  218. ferris bueller's day off
  219. pinocchio
  220. paddington 2
  221. the sting
  222. the texas chainsaw massacre (1974)
  223. harry potter and the deathly hallows part 2
  224. the graduate
  225. mean girls
  226. speed
  227. braveheart
  228. the young girls of rochefort
  229. evil dead 2
  230. the third man
  231. kiki's delivery service
  232. body double (1984)
  233. halloween II (2009)
  234. captain america: civil war
  235. ikiru
  236. tenet
  237. all that jazz
  238. little women (2019)
  239. collateral
  240. hunger games: catching fire
  241. spaceballs
  242. once
  243. cruel intentions
  244. the rock (1996)
  245. the usual suspects
  246. kingdom of heaven (directors cut)
  247. the big short
  248. the iron giant
  249. eyes wide shut
  250. the lego movie

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

stole Avatars oscar though didn't she

Honestly I wasn't that broken up about James not winning best director that year. I enjoyed Avatar but shockingly I didn't love it.

• Like 1