Eric the Ape

The Fall Guy | May 3, 2024 | Universal | Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt | Based off the 80s TV show

9 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

So far 12/13 reviews in RT are positive. That would put it at 92% RT score to begin with

And the average vote is very positive (8.1/10), It's not like 90% and everything is 3/5 stars. In these kind of cases usually the average won't drop drastically. Like I said a 75-80% in the worst case.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

I gotta say, Gosling's starpower is stronger than ever right now. This movie is coming out at the exact right time (and honestly, if it came out on its original March date, I feel like people would have gotten Gosling overload; best to give audiences a breather from him). Dare I say it, he's probably the biggest "movie star" on the planet right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I gotta say, Gosling's starpower is stronger than ever right now. This movie is coming out at the exact right time (and honestly, if it came out on its original March date, I feel like people would have gotten Gosling overload; best to give audiences a breather from him). Dare I say it, he's probably the biggest "movie star" on the planet right now.

I do not approve of this anti-Timothee defamation. You will be hearing from my lawyers very shortly.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

I do think "Ken romancing Oppy wife" is the main hook here

Uh, Emily Blunt is known for a lot more then that.

She is a Very Talented and Versatile actress; she can do just about anything from "Young Queen VIctoria" to The Stainless Steel Bitch in "Edge Of Tommorow".

• Thanks 2

Kind of surprised they did not drop a new trailer this week to go with the SWSW debut and the resulting buzz. I would guess this coming week to go in front of Ghostbusters:FE.  The most recent Qurom awareness numbers are a little concerning. WOM and legs will be great but the bigger the opening weekend the bigger the final total. 

This is going to be the closest movie to give off the vibe of something resembling a 4-quad tentpole to arrive since Godzilla x Kong (April is made up entirely of R-rated fare or movies too niche in appeal to break out massively) so there will be a void by the time it comes out. Don't think this is destined for a $50M+ opening or anything but $30M shouldn't be difficult to achieve.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This is going to be the closest movie to give off the vibe of something resembling a 4-quad tentpole to arrive since Godzilla x Kong (April is made up entirely of R-rated fare or movies too niche in appeal to break out massively) so there will be a void by the time it comes out. Don't think this is destined for a $50M+ opening or anything but $30M shouldn't be difficult to achieve.

They are not opening this to kick off the summer to get only a 30 million opening. With a 125 million budget that would not be good unless it has Anything But You  like legs which is possible I guess. . This should open 40+ easy with the strong reviews and two hot a list actors. 

The ratings from the reviews are what's note worthy to me, they do point at this potentially having really strong WoM. I think opening right around $50M would be a good test to the Gosling/Blunt star power. Looks pretty fun honestly, better than Leitch's last two directorial efforts.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, emoviefan said:

They are not opening this to kick off the summer to get only a 30 million opening. With a 125 million budget that would not be good unless it has Anything But You  like legs which is possible I guess. . This should open 40+ easy with the strong reviews and two hot a list actors. 

i agree it needs at least 40M as summer first blockbuster (but we have to say it was supposed to be released now on march and the new may date it's because of the strike) but "anyone but you legs" are easier for this cause it's not only rom com but also should have a very big appeal for a male audience, so it's closer to a quadrant movie than that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vale9001 said:

i agree it needs at least 40M as summer first blockbuster (but we have to say it was supposed to be released now on march and the new may date it's because of the strike) but "anyone but you legs" are easier for this cause it's not only rom com but also should have a very big appeal for a male audience, so it's closer to a quadrant movie than that.

This really is going to be a test of how well a star driven non superhero/massive tentpole movie can do post pandemic/rise of streaming . Everything seems set up for it to succeed.