Eric Duncan

The Fall Guy | May 3, 2024 | Universal | Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt | Based off the 80s TV show

It really is crazy to think this will be  the first non comicbook  summer kickoff movie not counting the 20, 21 covid years since MI 3 in 2006. This really does show a huge vote of confidence on Universal's part. Yeah it won't do even half of what Deadpool 3 would have done that weekend. But if everything breaks it's way it could do pretty good. Just having a straight ahead old school star driven action comedy open up a summer movie season is great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

They are confident in this. I'm getting excited! 

This is a huge sign of confidence. There is a possibility they are overconfident  ala Disney at Cannes last year with Indy and Elemental but why risk two months of bad buzz so probably not.

The irony if this ends up one of the biggest box office hits of the year when at first it seemed like the most non-event first week of May summer starter ever. Also probably one of the few big budget non-sequels with a chance coming this year, so here’s hoping. 

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The irony if this ends up one of the biggest box office hits of the year when at first it seemed like the most non-event first week of May summer starter ever. Also probably one of the few big budget non-sequels with a chance coming this year, so here’s hoping. 

This is what we say we want. The return of the  Old School Star Driven original movie.  Yeah this is based on a TV show from the 80's. But 90% of the audience that sees this will have never seen or probably have heard of it. 

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Fall Guy seems to lean a lot on its romantic angle, much more than Bullet Train or Free Guy. As in, probably enough to bring quite a few women to the theater, something that I doubt Free Guy or Bullet Train did.

I'm bullish on it, studio seems bullish on it as well, it has a lot going for it both with men and women, and it seems that it picked its leads perfectly for a movie coming out in 2024.

I think it can break 200M if the quality is there.

The Lost City had both romance and action too and premiered at SXSW too. People forget how hard it is for an original movie (I know this is based on a TV show but Im gonna treat it as an original film for obvious reasons) to break the $200 mil mark. The last time a live-action original movie grossed over $200 mil DOM was 11 years ago. I don't see what this movie has that would break this 11 year streak.

The movie could still do well, and be within the top 15 highest grossing films of the year, but $200 mil seems hard.