Sunshine  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Sunshine

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It's a very well made film, but the story falls apart once you get to the third act. The whole 'slasher' part feels tacked on and it makes no sense as to how the 'killer' could've survived for seven years, let alone with those kind of burn wounds.

B-

I didn't like the third act either. Overall, a good movie, but the third act kinda dragged it down. I wanted a full Sci-Fi movie, not a Sci-Fi slasher movie.

B+

P.S Damn did those subliminal pictures scare me when they boarded Icarus 1.

Edited by ChD

Rewatch this just earlier today. Pretty much agree with the general consensus about the great first 2 arcs and the problematic third arc. But even so, I really like the movie and enjoy it a lot, probably more than most here. The set designs and special effects look great. Acting performances are my favorites. And the music sounds beautiful. It's in my Top 10 favorite releases of 2007.

A-

• Like 2

Frustrating.

Like everyone said, the first 2/3 are good, though still a bit predictable; you can feel the exact moments of some deaths but still enjoyable and well-directed. They did set up some good possibilities for philosophical exploration with the Icarus 1 introduction but everything goes downhill once Pinbacker shows up. His character is pretty much wasted as it looks like Boyle couldn't agree with the screenwriter whether to explore the god aspect or not. In the end, he went full-slasher and the movie doesn't get a meaningful message through. On top of that, the final part is awkwardly edited and at times it's impossible to make out what is happening on the screen.

Anyway, good performances by Evans and Murphy and the DOFP trailer score is great :D

5/10

I've had plenty of people rave to me about this film, so I finally watched it.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this.

I will start with some full disclosure and say that I am not a fan of Danny Boyle. I don't hate his work, but just never been a fan of it.

Now with that said, I watched the film with an open mind. The first 2/3 of the film were decent for me. It wasn't amazing, but it was decent. I found the conflict between Capa and Mace really strange and awkward. It felt really forced. The acting was decent overall. I found the visuals were good for the most part, except there were a few exterior shots of Icarus II that looks inconsistent and very obviously CGI which detracted from the experience. I thought the plot was interesting, and something that had potential.

Now yes the third act was a total mess. Boyle apparently has said that this was due to studio meddling. Even if that is the case, the first 2/3 of the film for me just weren't strong enough, so combined with the 3rd act the whole film to me was quite disappointing; a disjointed, mediocre mess of a film. I hated Boyle's random music selection and score during some scenes. For some scenes the score did not fit the tone at all, I felt it was very disjointed in that sense.

I also didn't like all the philosophical waxing in the film. This is a trademark that Boyle does in every film, but I've never been a big fan of it.

Even considering that I'm a huge Cillian Murphy fan; his role in the film still wasn't enough for me to like this.

Overall I give this film a C. It had potential to be a good film, possibly even a great film. Through the decisions though made by Boyle and the studio, this is what we got as a result.

Edited by ACCA

Watched this on my flight to Hartford last weekend I really liked the first two acts are great but the third act was a letdown. This movie came a while but the effects looked like they would have been good at the time of the release. I enjoyed this movie 

3.5/5

The third act is problematic -- not so much from poor execution but from sheer genre-changing whiplash. Still, I love the first 2/3s and the ending so much that even with the third act, it's one of my favorite movies in recent years.

Agree 100%, the 3rd act KILLS the movie for me. Out of no where is this god genre slasher film? ok....

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1