YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Kelsey Mann directs. Mindy Kaling will not return

I honestly do hope they don't try to force some kind of similarly traumatizing moment here. IMO the second half of IO gets too downbeat in general and the narrative choices don't entirely justify it. Ideally I'd like more of a fun John Hughes-ish teen movie just with animated anthropomorphic emotions. Ofc Pixar will have to keep it PG and that's another reason why I'm not real high on the whole premise.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I honestly do hope they don't try to force some kind of similarly traumatizing moment here. IMO the second half of IO gets too downbeat in general and the narrative choices don't entirely justify it. Ideally I'd like more of a fun John Hughes-ish teen movie just with animated anthropomorphic emotions. Ofc Pixar will have to keep it PG and that's another reason why I'm not real high on the whole premise.

I actually laughed at one point in the last act of IO because the moves was making the tone SO melodramatic and somber about something that was nowhere near the end of the world scenario the filmmakers wanted you to think it was. Riley is the definition of privileged in that movie if that was as low as life can get lol. 

I agree PG hurt the first film for what they were trying to do. Again, Pixar bit off way more than they could chew with 1. Definitely on board with the idea of this one just being fun and silly and far less “high concept.” 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

My biggest issue was making what was evidently a very dramatic and formative "core memory" an epiphany moment that was only revealed around halfway through the movie

Soul did the whole metaphysical thing better with a more consistent tone imo because it didn't need to be quite as concerned with logic

Edited by AniNate

That looks pretty good and people seem to be reacting positively over Twitter and TikTok. I'm sure they will explain in the movie why these emotions appear now and why they weren't in the first movie. 

Could be a great year for Pixar and WDAS if they release Zootopia 2 over Thanksgiving 2024. 

Edited by AN9815

i'm mixed on this, both as a movie and with its BO prospects. On one hand, the trailer looks really nice, but it surely won't be as good as the original now that Docter isn't at the helm. Goodwill from the original will surely carry it to being profitable, but just how profitable is the question

Just needs to be good and this will be huge, it’s very obvious atp 

I’m still very sad about everything that happened with Soul, Luca and Red. But with Elemental getting 500M and being the most surprising run of the year after a dreadful opening + IO2 being a huge smash, seems like Pixar will be back on track. 

Still pissed about Elio change of date, but maybe it can thrive because Pixar can be in a good position by 2025.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Just needs to be good and this will be huge, it’s very obvious atp 

I’m still very sad about everything that happened with Soul, Luca and Red. But with Elemental getting 500M and being the most surprising run of the year after a dreadful opening + IO2 being a huge smash, seems like Pixar will be back on track. 

Still pissed about Elio change of date, but maybe it can thrive because Pixar can be in a good position by 2025.

The rumor with Elio is that it’s going through a creative overhaul and the delay was not really about the strikes. If that’s true, the delay may be for the best. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

The rumor with Elio is that it’s going through a creative overhaul and the delay was not really about the strikes. If that’s true, the delay may be for the best. 

I saw this, it wasn’t a super reliable insider so i take it with a grain of salt. 

But animation indeed have more freedom to pass through major changes, many Pixar classics have many versions during production and was refined a lot before being released, if they need more time to make it better than good. 

I can see they revising some things after Elemental critical reception being just decent, Pixar cares very much about their prestige. 

I'm sure if the strike did go on much longer this movie would've been delayed too. They have enough time now to work out any last minute render changes here, which Elio didn't with the timing of the strike. Basically they had to take what they had in July and if they ultimately found even one dialogue exchange didn't feel right the production timetable would've been sunk.

However true it is though it is frustrating when these kinds of "disastrous production" narratives take hold, especially compared to the instant hype the sequel trailer generates. People just always assume the worst of the originals these days.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I'm sure if the strike did go on much longer this movie would've been delayed too. They have enough time now to work out any last minute render changes here, which Elio didn't with the timing of the strike. Basically they had to take what they had in July and if they ultimately found even one dialogue exchange didn't feel right the production timetable would've been sunk.

Agreee, maybe they will use the extra time to refine Elio.

But i think the major reason for why it’s delayed to 2025 is that they needed to change the date anyway because of the strike, but they didn’t want to change IO2 date too to put Elio in it’s place, likely because IO2 is somewhat of a sure bet. 

They seems confident in Elio tho since they give it the June date now which is the prime Pixar month.