YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

39 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I feel like "animation looks cheap" is much more an adult online thing than a kids thing. Realism in animation has fallen out of favor the last few years anyway so I don't think it really looks that "quaint" compared to other recent movies. I know Elemental and Puss got a lot of flack for their styles too.

I'm not expecting a Frozen level ow here, but at least Elemental's would be ideal and if it's received well should hopefully have similar legs to Frozen's through the holiday season. $200m dom I would consider a solid hit given they're still working their way back from streaming conditioning.

Not sure even with good WOM if Frozen level legs are feasible. It’ll have reasonable family competition in Wonka and Migration.

• Like 2

Based off the trailers I do not like the animation style. It looks like the cheapest film they’ve made since the 80’s. 
I know they’re going for this hybrid look, but I just think it looks like the animatic version. 

I’m sure the film will be good and sat in the theatre I’ll get used to the style. But as a big fan of Disney animation who wishes they’d go back to hand drawn for a major feature, this looks like a bit of an insult. We’ll see. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, YM! said:

Not sure even with good WOM if Frozen level legs are feasible. It’ll have reasonable family competition in Wonka and Migration.

I just know "competition" was a big concern for Elemental but things had a way of working out there. The holiday season is usually accommodating to multiple family movie hits but yes, I admit it would be more ideal if it had a bigger opening. If it doesn't though I don't think its animation style will be the primary reason for it.

Anything less than Elemental's OW would be disappointing, I will put that on record at least.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I just know "competition" was a big concern for Elemental but things had a way of working out there. The holiday season is usually accommodating to multiple family movie hits but yes, I admit it would be more ideal if it had a bigger opening. If it doesn't though I don't think its animation style will be the primary reason for it.

Anything less than Elemental's OW would be disappointing, I will put that on record at least.

True. However in retrospect, an advantage is that nothing was of not for families for a 1.5 month long period for Elemental. I do agree animation style won’t be to blame but rather a combination of Plus dilution and a bad calendar.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

It's hilarious that people moan about Pixar and WDAS's animation style being old hat against the likes of Spider-Verse and TMNT but then complain about Wish looking cheap.

it looks halfway house. That’s the issue. 

it’s not stylised to take advantage of looking like those movies. It literally looks like Moana or Frozen, but not fully rendered and put through an animatic filter.  TMNT and Spidey were all-in on using the style to be expressive and cartoony/comic book. This doesn’t look anything like that. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

it’s not stylised to take advantage of looking like those movies. It literally looks like Moana or Frozen, but not fully rendered and put through an animatic filter.  TMNT and Spidey were all-in on using the style to be expressive and cartoony/comic book. This doesn’t look anything like that. 

Im sorry but "it doesn't look done" is literally what people said about Into the Spider-Verses art style, especially the framerate stuff.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

Tbh I think the Spiderverse hyperstylized look is kinda in danger of becoming old hat. If Disney had tried to more obviously riff on that style I doubt people would be any more charitable to them than they have been here. At least this does kinda stand out in its own way even if some people think it's not in a good one. Based on footage reactions though I'm pretty confident it will look a lot better in theater quality and everyone will forget all about this discourse when they see it.

26 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Tbh I think the Spiderverse hyperstylized look is kinda in danger of becoming old hat. If Disney had tried to more obviously riff on that style I doubt people would be any more charitable to them than they have been here. At least this does kinda stand out in its own way even if some people think it's not in a good one. Based on footage reactions though I'm pretty confident it will look a lot better in theater quality and everyone will forget all about this discourse when they see it.

Not really. Puss 2, The Bad Guys have a different style than the Spider-Verse movies do, which is more comic booky. If people haven’t gotten fatigued of normal 3D CGI animation than I don’t see why it would be different for “stylized” variations.

20 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Not really. Puss 2, The Bad Guys have a different style than the Spider-Verse movies do, which is more comic booky. If people haven’t gotten fatigued of normal 3D CGI animation than I don’t see why it would be different for “stylized” variations.

Well I'm not sure I'd say the "normal" kind of CG is still an intrinsic draw, at least in the sense people show up for almost anything. Disney would definitely disagree with that coming off Strange World.

I don't mean to say Spiderverse influenced movies can't still be successful, just that I don't think Disney would get any more benefit of the doubt if they more obviously went that way as opposed to the "half formed" style they have here, they'd just be accused of "ripping it off" because it has clearly had a stylistic impact on other movies and they're Disney and a big evil conglomerate. 

Edited by AniNate

The issue I have with this movie is that it just looks so. . . generic. Like, if you took a random frame from it, and asked someone to guess, they probably wouldn't be able to figure out if it was from Wish, Tangled, or Frozen (I'd mention Moana too, but that movie has a much more distinctive environment than the others). Even the design of the lead character just looks like a tweaked version of the same CGI model used for Anna, Elsa, Moana, and Rapunzel. The whole thing just feels like a parody of a Disney Princess movie played completely straight, in terms of both art style and, if the trailer is any indication, storyline. 

Do I think this will matter to kids? No. But I also don't expect this movie is going to break out the way Frozen did. In 2013, Frozen was an unknown quantity. Everyone, not just kids, was curious about it, and that allowed word of mouth to spread in an astonishing way. It became the must-see movie of the holiday season, and even people who ordinarily weren't into Disney movies went to see it. In a lot of ways, Frozen was a trendsetter, for trends that Disney animated movies have been following ever since. That's where Wish is different. Unlike Frozen, it can't claim to be the first of something new, an unknown, a black box. Wish is simply a continuation of the trend that Frozen started, and therefore seems much more familiar going in. The specific circumstances that caused Frozen to be (at the time) the highest-grossing animated movie ever are unlikely to be re-created with Wish. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

6 hours ago, YM! said:

It should never be understated how Frozen had basically the luckiest release slot for a big animated/family film of the entire 21st century. Got to play literally its entire several month run with zero direct comp except (wait for it) Walking With Dinosuars lmao. 

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Yeah, I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt that the art style needs to be seen on the big screen (though not all of the target audience is going to give it that same luxury in the streaming era), but it does look ugly in trailers online. No other way to say it.

It’s especially jarring when we’ve just come off of 3 all-timers in CGI animation visuals with Mario, Spiderverse and Elemental. This looks downright archaic compared to those imo. It does remind me of when WDAS had no idea how to make state of the art CG animation when they first dove into it back in the mid 00s. It wasn’t until Tangled that they caught up. But they haven’t missed since then with their visuals, so again, hopefully it is just a compression issue. 

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Views arent the be all end all, but

This is at the very least indication that there's no issue with awareness, and honestly it seems like the GA reception is far more positive at the outset than it was for Elemental. The only place I've really seen complaining over the style or story and whatnot is here. Even animation Twitter seems to be pushing back in a big way against the negative prejudice mindset, probably with the help of Elemental's reversal of fortune.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 4:51 PM, MovieMan89 said:

That certainly interesting. I appreciate a unique art style from them, but this could bite the movie in the butt a bit if people think it looks ugly in marketing and it affects OW. Kids do seem to notice when animation doesn’t look “modern”, Princess and the Frog being 2D in 2009 definitely hurt its ability to reach kids at the time. 

This is the most popular kids show in the world right now

MV5BZDkxOGUzYjQtNWQ3Yi00ZDg0LWE4ZTEtZTk4

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

It should never be understated how Frozen had basically the luckiest release slot for a big animated/family film of the entire 21st century. Got to play literally its entire several month run with zero direct comp except (wait for it) Walking With Dinosuars lmao. 

Same thing with Black Panther 2.

5 weeks of 0 competition + complete domination over every PLF screen in the country. Holiday season and Thanksgiving to boost legs. The next movie to open $30m+ from a rival studio after it was Creed 3, released 4 months after it.

Yet it still had the same multiplier as Endgame, which opened to $357m DOM and faced way more competition.

Edited by Bob Train

20 minutes ago, Eric the Creator said:

This is the most popular kids show in the world right now

MV5BZDkxOGUzYjQtNWQ3Yi00ZDg0LWE4ZTEtZTk4

Hey don’t take my word for it. Just look at animated movies with subpar or outdated visuals for their time and it’s hard to find big successes. 2D hand drawn stuff is the easiest example here, since there hasn’t been a huge one at the DOM box office since 2002. That’s not a coincidence . 

WDAS was the guiltiest of ugly animation in the 00s with garbage looking CG animation that did poorly like Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt. DWA is the only major one that still consistently gives us subpar looking CG animation in modern times, and among their uglier looking recent films, none of them did well (Captain Underpants, Boss Baby 2, Spirit Untamed, Ruby Gilman, etc).

I would also insist that Illumination always delivering on the visuals has definitely played a part in their incredible success track record. 

Edited by MovieMan89