YM!

Weekend Thread | October 7-10th | Smile grins with a powerful $18.5m second weekend (18% drop!), Lyle hums a tune to $11.4m, Amsterdam gets karma'd with $6.4m

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Maybe, but if Strange World (which everyone is already probably expecting to be lucky if it even makes as much as Lightyear) and Puss in Boots also underperform, that's only going to lead to more articles from the trades about the future being bleak for family fare in theaters (not good news for theaters since they tend to make most of their money from concessions to begin with, and families are obviously the biggest source of income there).

I expect Puss in Boots will do well for similar demo reasons as Minions and Sonic. Strange World, however …

To be blunt: as long as studios are trying to chase white, suburban, middle class families, especially with younger kids, they’re going to fall short, as that is by far the largest share of streaming subscriptions, where the theatrical family market is weakest. Gotta be able to draw in teens - with or without their parents - and/or non-white families. That’s where demand is still strong

• Like 3

Can i just say, what a year for Paramount! And they're about to end it with an Oscar movie (Babylon). I still don't understand why they fired Gianopolous. This new guy, what has he green lighted?

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Can i just say, what a year for Paramount! And they're about to finish it with an Oscar movie (Babylon). I still don't understand why they fired Gianopolous. This new guy, what has he green lighted?

He was the man who created this masterpiece. We're in good hands

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

I’m not seeing much mourning over Top Gun likely dropping out of the Top 10 this weekend in its 20th weekend and its first with a sub-$1M gross.

Move over top Gun there’s a new paramount 2nd wknd king in town 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It could still leg it out to $50M with absolutely no competition for families until Thanksgiving. 

But they didn't actually show up this OW...10%ish kids under 12 means about $3M max total in family BO (if you assume 2 parents per kid)...that's terrible...

34 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Helps to be the only horror around in October...and it helps to be a good horror movie in October...

It will probably take a nose dive vs Halloween next weekend, but 2 nice weekends are 2 nice weekends...

Calendar month isn’t the reason it’s doing so well. Barbarian is out too (which also had excellent legs in September). 

It’s doing so well because of the positive word of mouth and buzz. 

• Like 1

From the outside smile doesnt look particularly different to something like "truth or dare", so what business does it have getting a legendary drop for a horror movie?

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

From the outside smile doesnt look particularly different to something like "truth or dare", so what business does it have getting a legendary drop for a horror movie?

It's benefitting from positive WOM and being the most broadly-appealing horror film out in time for October (Halloween Ends seems destined to be a one weekend wonder, Prey for the Devil looks like a dump). I plan to check it out at some point this month.

28 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I’m not seeing much mourning over Top Gun likely dropping out of the Top 10 this weekend in its 20th weekend and its first with a sub-$1M gross.

Weak. Couldn't even take sole 2nd place for "most weekends in the top 10, post-Titanic". 

Edited by Wolverpool XXR

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Truth or dare had abysmal reception and Smile doesn't.

From Focus Features and starring Cate Blanchett, Tár looks to post the top location average of the weekend, or around $37,000, as it launches in four theaters in New York and Los Angeles.

Triangle of Sadness, from Neon, is opting for a wider opening footprint, or 72 locations. The Woody Harrelson-starrer is expected to post a location average of $21,000 or more.

Smile Box Office Wipes Out Openings of Lyle, Crocodile and Amsterdam – The Hollywood Reporter