Eric is Anxious

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

6 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Why can't people have opinions lol? If someone thinks that $955M is a disappointment for MoM then let them think that.

Because this is THE INTERNET.

Objectivity and Rationality has left this place a long time ago.

But let it be, if someone thinks that 955 million for Dr Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness is good enough then it's their opinion.

I'm more concerned about that B+ Cinemascore and poor legs, it's not about 955 for me, it's about how it got to that 955 that's more important.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

MoM number is fine in isolation but when you take into account that its PS was pointing towards 200M+ opening until poor reviews and WOM hit and the poor legs, yeah it's disappointing because it could've been a billy grosser easily. Something can do well and still be disappointing because it could have done better.

Exactly!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Few things in life are more exhausting than seeing pages upon pages of people debating Marvel films and their box office.

In fairness, it's not like studios have given box office enthusiasts much else. 

Thank God for Top Gun: Maverick this year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

There are a ton of movies that have never released in China.  That's a crutch. The WOM for MoM just wasn't that good..  bad even

Yes, the potential to get the billion even without China was there if the movie was better received, and with that POV it can be a disappointment indeed, but that's a wishful thinking. What we actually have is a movie with bad WOM, and still we know for a fact that it would gross a billion anyway with China. 

So this whole argument of "it's disappointing because it didn't make a billion" is just stupid. The only reason it didn't make it is because there was not just 1 but 2 big markets missing, even with bad WOM.  

Most of the billionaire movies would lose the title if they face the same thing DS2 faced. We have an example this year with Jurassic World that have pretty bad drops everywhere compared to the last one and only made a billion because of China.

36 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

The disrespect towards 2nd highest grossing movie of 2022 so for.

The Jurassic World Dominion box office is the epitome of MEH for me. Kinda feels like it is to the Jurassic franchise as Rise of Skywalker was to Star Wars. Not as meh as that but sort of in that category.

I actually enjoyed the film more than most though. Just thought that it landed with a resounding thump at the box office given its status as the big finale.

Film 1: $652M

Film 2: $417M

Film 3: $376M (with huge inflation)

Bleh.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

if BP2 makes 180-190m ow it seems like 600m domestic may be best case scenario unless the holidays give some serious legs, with mid 500m being the most likely scenario

Nah more like 460-500m+ . It needed at an A+ CS for 600m+.

Even Ragnarok with very strong A still managed 2.58*

WF will be a 2.7ish at best.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Ragnarok took a big hit in weekend 3 in the face of Justice League. WF won't face any big competition until Avatar in weekend 6. I think 3x is achievable, over under $550M total.

5 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

i guess lighting in the bottle is hard to replicate , even more under the circumstances, but i thought inflation would hide the drop somewhat