Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (11/18-20) | Black Panther 67.3, The Menu 9, The Chosen 8.2, Black Adam 4.5, Ticket 3.2

48 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Seems reasonable to me. $29 million Saturday and a softer Sunday drop due to coming holiday.

17.9, 29.1, 19

45 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

+60%/-30%=$66.1M

Fairs. Just thought that Saturday would be more in the 27.5 range

9 minutes ago, DC Rich said:

North Buffalo Airport was at 30" this morning at 7am.  Orchard Park which is 14m southeast of Buffalo had 77 inches.  Buffalo was expecting another 8-10 inches before the storm was done Saturday night. Several other areas had more than 4 feet also. They got a lot of snow but it was more limited to the lake area.

The difference is those lake areas handle snow.  The types of storms that really wipe out box office are the ones that cover the whole East Coast so the Carolinas are getting ice and Virginia up are getting snow/sleet mixes and so on.  When the south gets snow/ice, no one moves b/c they don't have the resources to handle much real winter weather, so they wait it out...

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The difference is those lake areas handle snow.  The types of storms that really wipe out box office are the ones that cover the whole East Coast so the Carolinas are getting ice and Virginia up are getting snow/sleet mixes and so on.  When the south gets snow/ice, no one moves b/c they don't have the resources to handle much real winter weather, so they wait it out...

I wasn't saying that it was impacting the box office as I did state the heavy snow area was limited to primarily to the lake area.  It was more of a response to how much snow they were actually getting.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sophie said:

I really hope that live sports thing never happens. Occasional concert films are fine considering they're rare. But come on. Movie theaters should be for movies.

In India it already happens, we just had India only World Cup matches getting shown in theaters.

8 hours ago, Sophie said:

I really hope that live sports thing never happens. Occasional concert films are fine considering they're rare. But come on. Movie theaters should be for movies.

Eh. Movie theater gives you, 

1. Communal watching experience 

2. With good view of event

The first is missing in TV/App viewing while latter in stadium. Theaters are best place to watch.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DC Rich said:

North Buffalo Airport was at 30" this morning at 7am.  Orchard Park which is 14m southeast of Buffalo had 77 inches.  Buffalo was expecting another 8-10 inches before the storm was done Saturday night. Several other areas had more than 4 feet also. They got a lot of snow but it was more limited to the lake area.

Oh man, I didn't see that Orchard Park report. That is just NUTS. Thanks for the heads up, I'll give The Weather Channel their due. I'd love to see some of that snow in Utah but we've been stuck in a terrible drought for years now. ☹️

9 hours ago, M37 said:

I’m with you (and have been for a long while), but a couple of factors working it against it 

Netflix - they’re still the biggest producer of streaming, but they are really trying to do it without theatrical (see Glass Onion), and are still using the binge (drop all episodes at once) model, where it’s more difficult to set a time. But something like Stranger Things would have perfect for a crossover theatrical event. Also Disney is purposely trying to keep their streaming and theatrical separate, to drive subs

For the others, AppleTV has been doing limited runs of their movies (like Spirited), but with episodes you run into problems of length (who’s playing for a 30-45 min show?), so that limits options. But HBO/Warner should really take a hard look, given their shows are 1hr+ and drop single episodes at the same time weekly (plus they need the $).
A say 7/8pm theatrical exclusive before a 9/10pm TV/streaming debut would make a lot of sense, for a high interest, big screen series like first or last episode of House of Dragons season. I could even see something like Ted Lasso doing some numbers (again, if episodes are long enough/doubled up to make it worth the money and time for a trip to the movies)

People are wising up and recognizing that neither theatrical nor streaming are going to do well long term without some kind of symbiotic relationship, so it’s a question of when and how, not if, IMO. And I can’t wait until we someday start getting live sports as theatrical events - image a packed auditorium for say the World Cup final?

Here in Brazil they showed the 2015 Champions League final in theaters and it was a huge success. I went to see it and my theater was packed and it was a great experience, they should do it more honestly. It would be great to watch Brazil matchs in the World Cup in a packed theater. They could show relevant matches of the brazilian clubs too, but I am afraid that would be risky given that football is very violent over here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Haven’t theaters been showing boxing matches for a really long time?

Yeah, but the person seemed to suggest it would be something attended en masse, potentially overshadowing wide release films, in the same manner as the 1-day BTS concert from earlier this year.

I also have an issue with 1-day films, and other short windows, because it makes it much harder for people to watch every major release. I would have went to the BTS concert film to see what the hype was. But I didn't even know it was a thing until after it released. And now I can't even find it on home video. It fell into almost complete obscurity, because it's not exactly a film at all.

8 hours ago, M37 said:

I’ll put it this way: there’s a whole lot of fixed cost infrastructure (screens and seats) mostly going unused between reducing top-end grossing tentpoles. What good does it do to only play “only movies” when virtually nobody is sitting in those seats and not explore/experiment with alternate forms of content?

Sure, it's good for cinema owners, but if winds up that a good portion of the things they're showing aren't even movies, then is it even a movie theater? I follow the box office because I love movies. Not sports broadcasts. 

I want to save the movie theaters more than anyone. But if that means turning them into virtual sports arenas, then what's the point?

2 hours ago, Sophie said:

Sure, it's good for cinema owners, but if winds up that a good portion of the things they're showing aren't even movies, then is it even a movie theater? I follow the box office because I love movies. Not sports broadcasts. 

I want to save the movie theaters more than anyone. But if that means turning them into virtual sports arenas, then what's the point?

I think you might be confused or misunderstood. Just because theatres might play sports event or something else other than a movie it'll be only when theatres are empty or particular movie isn't selling well. This won't be going on all the year so don't worry.

Anyway yeah, probably 66.6ish 😈😈😈

Think it’s actually a slightly better 2nd wknd hold than rag considering various factors at play. Probably clearing 2.6x off of this which would be great legs from an inflated ow.

• Like 2