Eric Lasagna

Weekend Thread (11/18-20) | Black Panther 67.3, The Menu 9, The Chosen 8.2, Black Adam 4.5, Ticket 3.2

35 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

So with the success of the Chosen and Andor apparently airing on ABC to goose ratings (in the same way Paramount used CBS to boost awareness of Star Trek Discovery), I have to wonder why we're not seeing mainstream companies trying to use theatrical to attract interest to streaming shows. 

Sherlock had a big 2016 special that made a couple of million, Clone Wars seems to have been successful, early Pokemon movies put up insane numbers, anime spinoffs/continuations been a solid post-pandemic thing and there were a raft of sneakily massive "Disney channel tv shows turned into movies."  

Did Inhumans do so badly as to kill off this idea? If you're paying enough on some of these tv tentpoles to be equivalent to a mid budget theatrical film, why not attract attention with paired down theatrical release? 

I’m with you (and have been for a long while), but a couple of factors working it against it 

Netflix - they’re still the biggest producer of streaming, but they are really trying to do it without theatrical (see Glass Onion), and are still using the binge (drop all episodes at once) model, where it’s more difficult to set a time. But something like Stranger Things would have perfect for a crossover theatrical event. Also Disney is purposely trying to keep their streaming and theatrical separate, to drive subs

For the others, AppleTV has been doing limited runs of their movies (like Spirited), but with episodes you run into problems of length (who’s playing for a 30-45 min show?), so that limits options. But HBO/Warner should really take a hard look, given their shows are 1hr+ and drop single episodes at the same time weekly (plus they need the $).
A say 7/8pm theatrical exclusive before a 9/10pm TV/streaming debut would make a lot of sense, for a high interest, big screen series like first or last episode of House of Dragons season. I could even see something like Ted Lasso doing some numbers (again, if episodes are long enough/doubled up to make it worth the money and time for a trip to the movies)

People are wising up and recognizing that neither theatrical nor streaming are going to do well long term without some kind of symbiotic relationship, so it’s a question of when and how, not if, IMO. And I can’t wait until we someday start getting live sports as theatrical events - image a packed auditorium for say the World Cup final?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Schools and colleges will be out all week, offices only on Thursday and Friday.

SOME schools and colleges will be out all week, some will not, but all will be out Thursday and Friday.

For the record, in my area, colleges are in session Monday and Tuesday, and K-12 goes Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for a half day...

But then again, in the south of my state, the colleges there are taking the week.

So, the week varies.  Monday/Tuesday will be better than normal, but not great.  Wednesday will start to be really good.  Thursday/Friday should be great...

• Like 3

I really hope that live sports thing never happens. Occasional concert films are fine considering they're rare. But come on. Movie theaters should be for movies.

Anyway, it looks like Chosen is beating The Menu this weekend about 10M to 9M. Does anybody think that Menu could make up for that in the Mon-Thurs stretch and wind up having the bigger 7 day total?

4 minutes ago, John2015 said:

According the Deadline,  "The Menu" production budget is $6 million.

No, you read that wrong...here's the Deadline quote - production budget was $30M(ish)...

"What of The Menu? At an estimated $30M production cost, and $8.87M opening, possibly $9M, it’s not a bomb, bomb, bomb, but nothing spectacular."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, you read that wrong...here's the Deadline quote - production budget was $30M(ish)...

"What of The Menu? At an estimated $30M production cost, and $8.87M opening, possibly $9M, it’s not a bomb, bomb, bomb, but nothing spectacular."

Sorry for my mistake.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I do see that 30m figure in a couple of places but having watched the film I find it VERY difficult to believe it cost that much.

It's a great film, but I struggle to see there being more than 12-15m of budget on camera.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

I wonder how much the massive snowstorm is affecting the box office this weekend and the past few days.

I wondered that too, but it's less a true winter storm and more of a freak lake-effect event, and even then, the only cities of note it's affecting are Cleveland, Erie, Utica, and Buffalo. The Weather Channel was saying a few days ago that Buffalo might get 4-6 feet, but so far the totals have been far less than predicted. (Buffalo is expecting 4-8 inches tonight.) I doubt it's having much of an impact, TBH.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sophie said:

I really hope that live sports thing never happens. Occasional concert films are fine considering they're rare. But come on. Movie theaters should be for movies.

I’ll put it this way: there’s a whole lot of fixed cost infrastructure (screens and seats) mostly going unused between reducing top-end grossing tentpoles. What good does it do to only play “only movies” when virtually nobody is sitting in those seats and not explore/experiment with alternate forms of content?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, A Star is Delayed said:

I wondered that too, but it's less a true winter storm and more of a freak lake-effect event, and even then, the only cities of note it's affecting are Cleveland, Erie, Utica, and Buffalo. The Weather Channel was saying a few days ago that Buffalo might get 4-6 feet, but so far the totals have been far less than predicted. (Buffalo is expecting 4-8 inches tonight.) I doubt it's having much of an impact, TBH.

North Buffalo Airport was at 30" this morning at 7am.  Orchard Park which is 14m southeast of Buffalo had 77 inches.  Buffalo was expecting another 8-10 inches before the storm was done Saturday night. Several other areas had more than 4 feet also. They got a lot of snow but it was more limited to the lake area.

• Astonished 1